Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
New hump fitted and sealed- just awaiting the sika-flex sealing compound to set.
Now have full air-flow from the whole filter and room over the top of the hump for air to flow as well

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No - i just used light alloy and shaped and hammered and cut into shape
The old hump was way too large to try and modify
It was easier to just start from scratch.
The new hump sits lower also and allows air-flow over the top under the lid as well as plenty of air-flow now from the full length of the sides.

I want to also modify a lid to remove that recessed 2inch centre where the wingnut screws down as that is also proven to be a restriction in the dyno sessions and those were on 9.1 comp engine - so i think perhaps more gain on a 10.1 comp 300hp engine

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
What about adding an additional duct opening at the front of the housing?

You would have the air being forced into the housing from the fan - would be a bit warm, but worth experimenting.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now that idea is getting silly
There is now plenty of fresh air coming in from the front scoops each side of the head-lights then via the two large tubes and larger duct opening on both sides of the air-cleaner.

That air is force fed when the car is moving so you can't get much better than that.
The main thing is when the engine is in the higher rev range the engine can suck in air from the total circumference of the filter and not just half the filter as before.
A 5.6 litre V8 engine at say above 3,000rpm is sucking a lot of volume of air that is for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Actually, calculating the air flow is quite easy.

Assuming a volumetric efficiency of 80% (it's probably less) for the 5.6 engine, 3000 rpm would flow around 6700 liters per minute of air.

So the question is if these two ducts are sufficient to flow this amount of air without causing a restriction.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well one thing is for sure-
*The left opening into the air-cleaner housing is now larger
*The 560SL duct is larger than the factory 560 left duct
*The left tubing is now somewhat larger than before
*The air-filter surface is now fully exposed in its full circumference
*There is now air-flow over the top of the new hump as well as the now fully open sides
*The air-plate intake is now fully open with no restrictions/disturbance to incoming air being sucked in (removal of two x flat bars) - which means air can now be sucked in from all directions - much like a velocity stack does

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update :
Been driving my 560SEL around this week and drove it to work Friday and out on the freeway crusiing at 100kmh and slamming the foot she feels like she is pulling harder (Euro 300hp with re-built heads and custom s/steel free flowing exhaust no cats & 2.65LSD diff)
Certainly feels very snappy for a big car and the auto will dance up and down gears so easily if i fettle the throttle without the need for the kickdown switch to be activated.
This is how these auto's should work - if i ease on the throttle she will still dance back a gear and then upshift quickly.

I think the the full mods to the AMG style air-cleaner including removing the hump has definately helped things along in my 300hp engine

I will now start on the white coupe air-cleaner housing to remove her hump and expose all the air-filter element

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kim, with a spare air filter housing from my parts sedan, you've given me inspiration--what tools would one need?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah I have a spare duel snorkel air cleaner housing too. If any of you are interested pm me. Personally I don’t think I’m going to bother with this mod.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
gogi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing