Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A formal hello, now that a crisis with a recent minor repair is over! Long time lurker here, have owned this '97 E320 for about four years. Got it quite literally from a little old lady original owner who drove it a few days a week from her garage to a parking deck. Other than the tires which are quite old now, and a few plastic interior parts that have discolored slightly, the car still looks and drives new. I've not put many miles on it but in that time I've had nothing go wrong with the car.

When I got the car the paint was in good shape - not a scratch on it - but in desparate need of clay bar treatment. During the first clay bar session I actually pulled off white/brown house paint (overspray). When I got done the paint looked even better and the shine deepened. That is one of my favorite things about this particular car - it is pretty old but the paint looks awesome. Second favorite thing is the leather seats - not a single crack or rip. I treat the leather several times pear year.

Does anyone know if Mercedes uses/used anything special in their paints?

In the process of sanding and polishing the headlights right now. Should really pop once that is done...

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Nice car. I'm with you on the clay. I did my wagon last week. I try to do it once a year at least. thankfully i have a porter cable 7424 to build back the finish. By hand it takes hours.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...Does anyone know if Mercedes uses/used anything special in their paints?
Nice car, thanks for sharing the photos.

I don't think there is anything that special. But from what I've heard, MB uses a lot of it. It is German paint so if you want to be a purist you should try some of the German made Menzerna products designed for German paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts