Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My 96 S320 to have a cracked engine block gasket, which cause a oil leak .All oil changes (more)...

2762 Views 2 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
My 96 S320 to have a cracked engine block gasket, which cause a oil leak .All oil changes (more)...

are done at the dealership ( Mercedes of Houston Greenway ).They have replace an engine gasket once befor at 40k miles .Now the oil leak is reocurring at 60k miles. I think there is foul play involved ! If anyone has infomation about oil leaks , ( cause- effect ) please give me a helping hand on this situation. Thanks !<p>spider-ta062.proxy.aol.com
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My 96 S320 to have a cracked engine block gasket, which cause a oil leak .All oil changes (....

Man, that is rough. The 3.2L six is Mercedes' equivalent of the '70s Mopar Slant Six -- thoroughly bombproof and basically indestructible despite almost any realistic degree of human neglect. I mean, the OHC V8s are a little finicky, but the 6s? <br> <br> One possible suspect for oil leaks is that your breathing/PCV system is out of whack -- e.g. the PCV is for some reason plugged up and isn't able to pull suction inside the block. I assume that you've stuck with OE parts and if that's so, I admit that I've never, ever heard of such a thing on a Merc, unless for some reason the system's simply hooked up incorrectly ... you may want to give a few minutes' study to those hoses.<br> <br> Which gasket, exactly, do you mean? There are at least four main gaskets at issue here: head, oil pan, rear main seal, and front main seal. Do you have any more specific info.?

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry that I have taken this long to respond to your helpful input. ( MORE)

The service manager did not specifide which gasket was crack , although I do think that the crack gasket was cause by over filling of oil. I have to agree with you that the s320 inline six is no whimp, can hustle a 5000 pound tank easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.