Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it's been labeled "the rod bender" i'm still enjoying this car. I'm enjoying the ride even more so now with my newly installed H&R Springs, Billstein Sport Shocks and 19" AMG Monoblocks. :)

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
The car looks very nice, somehow the AMG mono blocks look perfect on these cars. I have the 18" on mine but I have removed them to have them re finished. I have the 230 SL600 wheels on for now, though 18" they do look small (tyres are too small)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Looking sharp!!!

I actually like that pinstripe...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nice car looks great with the AMG wheels. How many miles? Window tint would look really nice.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It looks great. Post some more pics at different angles. I'm also curious on the tire size.

Why does it have a pinstripe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
H&R springs, how much do they bring the car down? How much stiffer the ride do you get? Does the ride stiffeness works with the 18" wheels?

For clarification: the suspension stiffeness and wheel stiffeness are two things that need to match. For a soft suspension such as on 140s and stock wheels of 16" with 60 tire putting an 18" wheels with probably what would need to be a 45-50 tire would mean, my experience from previous cars, that the wheel and tire are stiffer than suspension and will result in a ride that while I cannot describe but I can feel and do hate (with passion :). Now, I know, again from previous cars, that H&R springs lower the car by more than other spring manufacturers but from the picture it hardly seems lowered so then the question becomes how much stiffer the suspension got and does it fit with 18" wheels? No doubt that these monoblocks look great on these cars and I would love to fit my S420 with them one day but since my car has self leveling on the back I'm not sure if I have the option of putting an H&R springs. Where can I find H&R springs for the MBs?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pin stripe is on the car because my father had an 82 300SD (which he LOVED) that had pin stripes. When he purchased this car he had pin stripes put on it. I'm not a big fan of them but I'm leaving them on. :)

I'm riding on Pirelli PZero at 245/45/R19. The H&R's lower the car 1.3" and the ride is SMOOOOOOOOOOTH. I tested down a bumpy road in the area with no problems.

Window tinting will be done along with a nice detailing job but first I'd like to get my stereo done. Speaking of stereo, how many speakers does this car have?? I don't think i have a bose system but if i counted correctly there are 10 in here? Even crutchfield doesn't have any information on the car so if you guys can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

I've attached two more pics that i have on my phone. I'll try and grab some more photos when I get the car back from the shop.

As for the springs, I purchased the springs and the shocks from tirerack. Quick shipping and price wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The pinstripe doesn't look bad but whenever I see a W140 with a pinstripe I assume it's been repainted. Same goes for debadged W140s. I suppose a non enthusiast won't know/care.

About speakers: Two on each of the front doors, one on each of the rear doors and two in each on the rear shelf.. (That makes 10 so far) To see whether or not you have the bose system you'll have to look behind the rear view mirror and see if there is a little speaker there. This speaker is used as a tweeter for the factory bose system.

The bose amp is rated at 280 rms (which means continuous power and not peak power) I personally like the stock system very much. It's good enough to where I do not see a need for an aftermarket headunit.

There are also two more speakers on the dash (if your car came with the optional phone) however they're not audio speakers.

About the springs... Many people do not realize that putting stiffer shocks, springs and lower profile tires/bigger rims on any car makes the car react to bumps and road imperfections much more so than before and in turn wears the suspension and other components here and there faster than before (depending on condition of roads). This is of course common sense but many do not know this. It's worth the trade off if the roads where you live are smooth for the most part. I know when it comes time to replace my shocks and springs I'll be looking into H&Rs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Saleen for your response. About the stereo.. Well, it's shot. The speakers all crackle and the radio itself has a few flaws. I already purchased a radio and am contemplating what to do with the speakers. If i dont have the bose system do I still have an amplifier? If not, how are the 10speakers wired into the radio?

Thanks again.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Thanks Saleen for your response. About the stereo.. Well, it's shot. The speakers all crackle and the radio itself has a few flaws. I already purchased a radio and am contemplating what to do with the speakers. If i dont have the bose system do I still have an amplifier? If not, how are the 10speakers wired into the radio?

Thanks again.
No Bose,means no amp. you have 4 outputs from the radio so 2 on each output plus 2 tweeters in dash.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

Thanks again.
I see that you have bought a stereo, but I am a big fan of keeping the car design original, including the sound system. I have the Bose system and love it. In the last year I have replaced both the amplifier and the receiver and it was worth every penny. I got them both rebuilt by Lenny at Factory Repair Center in Richardson TX. He is very knowledgeable, reasonable and helpful, might be an idea to give him a call.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks again.
If you have a Bose system, the speakers (11) aren't wired into de radio, they're wired into the amp, which a receives a low-level stereo signal from the radio, then processes it into 7 separate channels, and from there are sent to the speakers... its a comlicated system and its better to leave it stock,although a headunit upgrade is still possible

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts

Thanks again.
If you hear crackling in your speakers its a common problem with the Bose amps, I'm thinking you do have a Bose system it just has a bad amp. The speakers are pretty tough, they are probably fine, fix or replace the amp and I think you will like it, like others said, its a great system if its right...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I purchased a new radio for my diesel, nothing special. I purchased an Alpine CDE-122 to take advantage of the Pandora feature with my iphone. Does anyone know which wiring harness adapter I need to install the radio? Do they even make one or do I have to wire it in directly?

Also, the car is going in for a detail and tints this weekend. I will have it back Saturday night so pictures will be up on Sunday. :)

Thanks for all the help so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts