Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

Have enjoyed my SEC for a year now. Tried to keep it in good running condition, but now it seems i've hit the bullseye.
Recently the car started to take too much oil and had some blue/white smoke comming from the exhaust. Failed the MOT and had to take it to my mechanic. He says that engine needs complete rebuild, costing me some 2K $ in our money (i'm from Estonia, so it's some 1.4K € here).

Meanwhile i've got an offer on 5.6 engine from some crashed full spec SEL from germany. It was bought on eBay, so i acutally have no idea in what condition it is. Price would be 1K € for the whole engine and i'll pay some 400 € for work.

My own engine should have done some 210K kilometers (120K miles?), but it could be rewinded (u know how these engines can go 500K miles w/o problems).

Have no idea what so ever of mileage on that engine (could be some 300K km easily, as its from germany). Just i know that the car was full spec and the owner kept it in good condition (the guy who sells the engine has bought several parts from the same wrecked car/same owner, and said the guy has kept his word).

Some help needed:
1) should i do this swap? (preformance/fuel economy both are not issues for me: i'm no racer and drive only some 500 miles per month). It seems the same money and of course Ceteris Paribus i would prefere 560 SEC ;).
2) Are there any possible reefs i should think about when swapping (that could be very costly later)?
3) What else has to be changed (exhaust? ECU?).

Appreciate all help, oppinions, comments. (i've gone through all 315 topics on engine swaps, but if this topic has been covered profoundly somewhere else, i would be grateful for the link.

Best.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Recently the car started to take too much oil and had some blue/white smoke comming from the exhaust. Failed the MOT and had to take it to my mechanic. He says that engine needs complete rebuild, costing me some 2K $ in our money (i'm from Estonia, so it's some 1.4K € here).

It probably only needs the valve guides done, the price sounds like that's all he's doing unless repairs there are dirt cheap. But if you want the 560 go get it, just be prepared to do the same thing to it. Ever hear the expression they all do it? Well they all do it (wear out the guides).

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
He,, if I could get my engine rebuilt for 2k I would. Plus you have a pretty rare car there, I say keep it original.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Sell the entire car and get something else.

·
Registered
560SEC
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sell the entire car and get something else.
Sorry man, no can do :p This machine is a bit more for me than just a car :bowdown: besides, i doubt that I'll find a new similar one in such good condition (zero rust, full suspension rebuild, virtually all [working] extras, 91, relatively low mileage, good sound system etc).

I have to keep it running, but it needs either a new heart or a proper surgery :cool:

:surrender:

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,374 Posts
Welcome. To take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies. It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information, incl. many write ups re your topic.

·
Registered
w124 300-24 CE 91'. , w140 S 600 94'
39 Posts
keep it original:p, like u said u dont know in what condition that 560sel's engine is, so why not do a proper maintance to the 4.2. 420 is rare so i would keep it the way it is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts