Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

My beloved 1984 500sec was rear ended yesterday on the freeway. Both of my girls were sitting in the back and a Nissan Quest rammed into us doing 35-45mph. Entire back-end buckled but can say the car saved both my girls lives any other car they would not have survived. They have back pain shoulder injuries and scared as hell (7 and 8 years old). My back and neck in real bad shape and a nice baseball size bruize on my forehead hitting the steering wheel

Started the insurance claim and need your help to figure out how to get the correct value for the car. It was a 1984 with 153k on her and engine and transmission flawless...interior prestine and all original. Any help appreciated because the car is not something I can replace......I'm pissed I lost her but can say she saved the lives of my girls.....WHAT A CAR!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Good deal on the girls! I hope they fully recover and you get a fair settlement.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Get estimates oif like condition cars sold on ebay and other sites, NOT what is asked for the cars in the adds. for ammo against their insurance company which in all likelyhood try to low nball you. Hope you have pictures of your car before the accidemt for proof of condition. Maybe an independent adjuster is in order.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC 1999 ML 320 (sold) 2008 C350 4Matic amg pack
60 Posts
Glad to hear you all got out of the accident on your feet (I use the car for my young kids too and hope something like that won't ever happen), eventhough it sounds like a sad mess for your car. I can't really help, except for sharing Chadahar's point about pics and sites which may give a range value depending on model and condition, etc. Sorry your girls had to go through that.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEC,1991 300 SEL, 1985 380 SL-Sold, 1982 300 Turbo Diesel-Parts Car
160 Posts
You can use nadaguides.com. They have low, average & high retail values for your car. When a motorcyclist hit my 91 300 sel 2 years ago it had over 200k miles. His insurance company (State Farm) wrote a check for $2018 dollars to replace the right front fender, corner lamp, refinish front bumper & right front door. The value of the car was still over $8000 dollars retail. I spoke with my insurance agent and he informed me that the damage needs to exceed 75% of the value before insurance companies can "total" a car. (At least in Maryland). Glad to hear that you and your family seem to be okay. Good Luck- Denis

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
I'd consult an attorney...came in really handy about 25 years ago when my wife was rear-ended while waiting to turn into a parking lot. Took care of her medical expenses (neck and back pain required several months going to the chiropractor), we got more for our '79 Chevette than we paid for it (and I was able to repair it) and a moderate settlement.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
731 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you've lost the car, but she did her job and saved your lives. I'm glad you all walked away, shaken, but alive. We had a 420 in pretty good condition that had a wreck, and the insurer valued it so low they just wrote it off, even though the damage could have been repaired. I would desperately start scraping together everything you can that proves the car is worth more than they think it is.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone....I made a list of all links from cars.com and auto trader. I will see what they offer and am considering getting an attorney due to the fact I cant move...cant sleep and my older daughter refuses to enter a car>>>I have owned a lot of cars in my life and that 500 was the best ever>>>

·
Registered
1997 SL500 40th Aniversary 1998 C230 2002 E430 sport 1987 420SEL sold 1989 300E sold
573 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car, BUT extremely happy that you and the girls are ok
Another 126 giving up it's life to save it's occupants, what more can you ask from a such a great automobile. yeah, as said in the other posts, defiantly get as many values for a vehicle in the same cond. They will try to low ball you and hope you take it, just don`t settle till you get a fair price.

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
Also...be sure you document EVERYTHING. Damage to the car, any and all injuries you and your daughters sustained (were you seen by medical personnel right away?), etc. The attorney should be able to help you get a fair value for the car, as well as make sure that you and your daughters have the care you need. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,467 Posts
Two thoughts.
1. Everybody goes to the doctors right now and gets everything. It will help recovery and your compensation will include a multiple (!) of the doctors bills. Spend the money.
2. Get a professional appraisal for the car. Spend the $200 - $300 for an expert to look at the car and let *them* put together the NADA / Autotrader etc. comps on the value of the car. You take care of your family, let the experts take care of the car value.

My '82 300D got "volunteered" to be in the middle of a 4-car. Their insurance offered $1500 for a 23 year old car (at the time) with *all those miles*. A professional appraisal got me $5000.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Insurance company has offered $7888 including tax and registration fee. I was silent for about 20 seconds and the guy is like are you there?

I explained to him I have done my re-search and based on comparable cars and the NADA guide I was expecting a lot more. He asked me what that was and I told him we are too far for me to tell you and by the way you have insulted my intelligence. He came back with well the number I gave you is not set in stone so what are you considering? I told him based on the condition of my car and the condition that it was in and the co parables I have seen and the NADA guide at least $17k. He came back and said he is can go up to $10k, but $17k is unreasonable. I told him I want to see how he came up with the number>should be receiving a UPS package tomorrow.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Insurance company has offered $7888 including tax and registration fee. I was silent for about 20 seconds and the guy is like are you there?

I explained to him I have done my re-search and based on comparable cars and the NADA guide I was expecting a lot more. He asked me what that was and I told him we are too far for me to tell you and by the way you have insulted my intelligence. He came back with well the number I gave you is not set in stone so what are you considering? I told him based on the condition of my car and the condition that it was in and the co parables I have seen and the NADA guide at least $17k. He came back and said he is can go up to $10k, but $17k is unreasonable. I told him I want to see how he came up with the number>should be receiving a UPS package tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. But the good news everyone is OK and didn't get hurt badly, because of the w126's safety features.

I think $10k is reasonable for a US spec car. I had a rare Gen 2 Euro and that's what I got for mine with 110k on the clock. Car was in great shape too (except for paint). Same thing happened to me, I got hit in the rear and they totaled the car. Unfortunately you need to have the car appraised and have an agreed upon value BEFORE something happens otherwise this is the situation you find yourself in. NADA is full of crap regarding values typically.

These cars don't sell for that ($17k) in this market unfortunately...

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Graft...Thank you for your inputs. I have looked at several listings and when I compare my car to what I have seen it does not come close. I understand a market for a 30 year old car is hard to establish and everyone thinks there car is the best. I bought the car fromthe original owner..>Calif car and 120k on her. The owner had used MBZ even for the 120k mile service. The car was and still was in pristine condition and I enjoyed it so much put 40k on her in the past 3 years...basically made it my every day car beacuse I enjoyed driving it even though I own a Mazda CX9 and Audi A4 Avant.....no comparison to those cars.

I will also be back in the market for another 500 or 560 sec and have looked at the following below and it does not come close to how my car looked and drove. Lets see what they come up with? No way i will settle for $10k.

Thank you all for the guidance and help I really do appreciate it and hopefully one day will give it back.

1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, $9,988 - Cars.com

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Well, it's worth a try in holding out and see if you can get a few grand more. I would do what the others suggested and have an independent appraiser value it. I think one of the disadvantages is the mileage which is why I said $10k. Do you have service records?

As an aside, some of the best w126's available anywere were sold by fellow member Bruce Mendel. His cars are near perfect and it's been quite a while since I've seen one of his cars go for more than the mid teens. These were fully documented, low mileage with all service records cars. That may help as a guide in establishing what yours was worth. In fact it may be worth calling him. He has his pulse on what the best examples go for and more than anyone can get you a very accurate estimate of what it was worth. Documentation is VERY key here. It may cost you a few bucks but it would be worth it if you want top dollar.

Best of luck. I know how frustrating it can be in dealing with the insurance companies.

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
I sympathise with your plight, I really do. But unfortunately that won't help you extracting more money from your in-sewer-ants.
Equally unfortunately, the victims do not get to determine the value of the insured items.

As long as they are not blatantly trying to lowball you, you are up excrement creek without a viable means of propulsion.
You could come up with documented evidence of a vehicle being sold, but even then you'd have a hard time proving that YOUR car is in the same league.
AFAIK there's only one way out. That is if your car is insured for what is known as 'replacement' value. In this case, you refuse the cash but tell the in-sewer-ants company to come up with a comparable replacement, meaning color, mileage, history and general condition. This almost always proves impossible without serious investment of time and money by the company, and they cut their losses.

Good luck !

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, 2001 740iL, 1989 535i
59 Posts
There should be two settlements. One for the car damage and one for the injuries of the girls and you. The later one is where the money is.

The higher your medical bills the higher the compensation for pain and suffering.

Carful: A lawyer will take 33% of anything you get. Cut the lawyer out get a little less in total, but still more than with a lawyer.

Goo luck,
Wolf

·
Registered
1985 300E US Champagne, 1978 280SE Euro Milan Brown Metallic, Gen1 1985 500 SEC Euro Paget Red
105 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,129 Posts
Lots of pics if you have them, any receipts or other stuff you think will help, and lots of high value 126 adverts. That Monaco one is a good start! There was an SDL I think posted recently for $40k odd dollars. There should be plenty once you start looking round.
How about a letter from one of the mods here, would they do that? I know clubs normally help in situations like this to get the best value.

It wont help you now to say this, but might help others in the future. Agreed value insurance! Its the only way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts