Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've seen a lot of cool high performance brake upgrade threads, and I don't think I need all that.

I have a 1985 500SE that I'm hoping to get better stopping power out of. My wrench suggested putting larger rotors on the front. I have 16" wheels already, fyi.

I'm wondering how much that would help. Anyway to estimate current and after mod stopping distances?

My other car's a BMW X3 and it has great stopping power. I'd love to get the old timer up to that level, and I'm not going to be racing her or anything like that.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
35,786 Posts
How would you fit new, bigger rotors into old, smaller calipers?
I think you are opening a can of worms that can fast go above the car value.
MB generally have good brakes, so what exactly is your complain?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just a safety thing. I like having great brakes, like my BMW's brakes, and the SE has new pads and everything, I just want a bit more stopping power.

I think the work will only cost me @$400, and the car is in mint condition with only 44k miles on it, so I don't mind putting a little money into it.

·
Registered
35,786 Posts
I think set of new calipers is more than that, even if you find direct fit.
So please confirm, you have good rotors with OEM brake pads and you are not satisfy with stopping distances? Different brake pads can make difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanic quoted me the price for the job, I'll check with him about the calipers. He didn't mention them, just the rotors. Yes, good rotors, good pads, just interested in shorter stopping distances. I was also considering moving to ceramic after these pads wear down or possibly before. Also, the car is very new to me, so I'm still getting used to her. Any thoughts or suggestions y'all might have are welcome! Grazie!

·
Registered
35,786 Posts
I think you should read more about brakes. Different manufacturer rotors have minimal effect on braking power, but pads do.
Ceramic pads extend stopping distance comparing to MB OEM soft pads.
Than OEM generate lot of dust.
decisions, decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Exactly what I'm beginning to do. I thought someone in the forum may have already done some of that legwork, so was pinging the collective brain...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts