Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've written before about my 400E's idle, which sometimes surges and makes the car lunge when the engine is cold and the transmission is in "D" (and by cold i mean parked-outside-in-the-winter cold, not just overnight-in-the-warm-garage cold).

Well, today new problems surfaced: 1) the radio has suddenly stopped working -- the faceplate illuminates when I turn it on, but there's no sound and the radio eventually flashes an error code (I think it's "E2" but I'm not sure) and then shuts itself off; 2) turning on the radio turns on the interior map light and the seatbelt warning light, which go out when the radio turns itself off; 3) the map light and seatbelt light also came on when I opened the sunroof; 4) the locks don't work anymore -- I have to lock and unlock each door (and the trunk) separately).

The car still runs, the headlights, turn signals, wipers, and windows all work, so the car is still technically useable, but I'm uneasy having my girlfriend drive it in this condition. Given how random all this is, I'm thinking wiring harness, but I'd appreciate input form you guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: this AM, the car wouldn't start. the lights come on, but the starter doesn't turn over. help!!!

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Low battery voltage causes all kinds of wacky strange things to happen. What is the condition of your battery? As for the radio, you may need to replace your head unit. It sounds like it is on it's way out.
A faulty head unit could potentialy cause other electrical problems. W124 with M119 engine has electronics linked up via what MBZ calls a CAN-BUS
or "controlled area network" this was done to minimize the wiring mass. It was supposed to make electrical diagnosis easiser, however you need to use MBZ proprietary diagnostic equipment (star laptop)

Start with a fresh battery and new head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 400E also and have experienced similar problems.Replacement of all the fuses in the fuse box with copper instead of the original OEM aluminum eliminated virtually all my electrical discrepancies except the infamous surging fuel gauge indicator.
Never even thought of harness replacement.
Also have found that keeping my carb throat clean by spraying with carb cleaner every couple of tank fulls seems to alleviate idling problems.I concur with the battery concerns,mine lasted roughly three years in this cold climate.She sure seems to run better with a new one and the above listed.[:(]

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8
248 Posts
Hackbite7 - 2/12/2005 5:04 AM
eliminated virtually all my electrical discrepancies except the infamous surging fuel gauge indicator.
Never even thought of harness replacement.[:(]

Anyone ever diagnose the fuel gauge thing? Mine is doing it more frequently now, unless I fill the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts