Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think I just might be screwed if this car doesn't sell in like 3 hours on ebay or maybe if I relist it I am Just going to fix it upp and throw money at it that i will probably never see again. Here are my plans If I can't get another car.

1. I have aero I monoblocks in the garage, they will be on it.
2. I will upg the front speakers to the poineer co-axle 3 way 4X6's.
3. Find a new front bumper, my chrome is peeling bad.
4. Respray the whole car (with rust removal and have the lower trim the same color as the car.
5. Black out my grill.
6. Maybe find a 500 engine and drop it in.
7. tri euro y's?
8. Get my drivers seat recovered.
9. New Windsheild. I have a decent filled chip.
10. 2.82 differential?
11. Rear white trunk LED's to accent my sub
12. Mercedes logo door jamb trim
13. High flow cat, remove pre-cat.
14. FGS switch (To program my shift points)
15. _______ You fill in this one.

Tell me what you think. By the way, I am offering the car at 4k if anyone is interested. eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : S-Class (item 170109171839 end time May-12-07 13:15:51 PDT)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I wish you luck! And I jmight be biaed, but just the 5.0 engine swap and the paint/body work alone, if done properly, is at LEAST $5K.

My opinion, take the $2K or so you'll sell it for, put that same $5K with it, and get a great 420 or 560, mine or someone else's. With gas prices being what they are, 560's are cheap right now.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your aren't :p And my car didn't sell and it only went to 1500, there is little hope.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Cirrus2 said:
So, I think I just might be screwed if this car doesn't sell in like 3 hours on ebay or maybe if I relist it I am Just going to fix it upp and throw money at it that i will probably never see again. Here are my plans If I can't get another car.

1. I have aero I monoblocks in the garage, they will be on it.
2. I will upg the front speakers to the poineer co-axle 3 way 4X6's.
3. Find a new front bumper, my chrome is peeling bad.
4. Respray the whole car (with rust removal and have the lower trim the same color as the car.
5. Black out my grill.
6. Maybe find a 500 engine and drop it in.
7. tri euro y's?
8. Get my drivers seat recovered.
9. New Windsheild. I have a decent filled chip.
10. 2.82 differential?
11. Rear white trunk LED's to accent my sub
12. Mercedes logo door jamb trim
13. High flow cat, remove pre-cat.
14. FGS switch (To program my shift points)
15. _______ You fill in this one.

Tell me what you think. By the way, I am offering the car at 4k if anyone is interested. eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : S-Class (item 170109171839 end time May-12-07 13:15:51 PDT)
I am sorry it didn't sell as you had hoped. Since you asked for comments, here are mine. The bright side is it's a nice solid car with low miles on it.
#1,2, and 3 are good ideas, and will be nice.

#4 Will be expensive, but a cheap paint job is worse, make sure the prep is done well. The stock colors are fine by me, and I would stick with them, but if you decide to go for all-body-color, you might want to do the mirror backs, and bumpers and door handles as well. Also, you could get the smooth 1986+ lower body cladding for a more modern look to the car.

#5 black out the grill, why would you do that? The chrome grille looks very nice just as it is.

#6, and 7 Great idea, but expensive, and you won't get any of it back upon resale. Good if you are really going to keep the car, because it'll be a great performance gain over the stock setup.

#8, good idea to fix the seats, and whether you re-cover them or not (using MB tex or leather), perhaps a nice set of 2 piece fitted sheepskin covers would be nice.
#9, That's always a good idea, whatever you decide to do, Sekurit, Sigla or PPG are the best brands if you replace, from what I have heard.
#10, 2.82 would be great if you go for the euro 500/tri-Y headers, you would probably NEVER want to quit driving the car with that set up. It was one of the AMG choices offered back in the day, and a pretty good one for day to day use all things considered.
#11, NO, no, no, it is a W126 Mercedes, not a Honda Civic. This is for the Spoiler Boyz, not you.
#12, Not sure what you mean, but I would leave the car stock, basically
#13, Perhaps, but my first concern would be smog legality. Do they inspect emissions in your state? I would stay legal. If not a problem (keep old parts if need to reinstall and legalize on sale)
then go ahead, but again, to be done with NO thought of recouping the investment on resale or savings in gas. It's for performance and enjoyment.
14. FGS, YES, if the car doesn't have it. It makes a difference and you will get used to it.
15. a) European headlights. They look so much better, are 60% brighter, and throw a better beam pattern than stock.
b) A skid plate to protect the oil pan (from Mercedes dealer, about $130, definately worth it if the car is lowered.
c) Weathertech MacNeill floor mats (black) internet about $45 the pair. Indestructible
d) Lowered car, for better handling, H & R or eibach springs proven the best for w126

There's my response; but: before you buy/install/perform any of that stuff, and assuming you will keep the car, the maintenence of it comes FIRST: coolant, brake fluid, oil, suspension parts in good shape, HVAC working, everything up to date.

The list #1-15 is goodies, after everything else is taken care of. Fine if you are going to keep the car indefinately.

I am like you, I like these cars too much for my own good. The used car market doesn't appreciate their real worth and essential goodness.

Best of luck. the market is pretty soft

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEL BLACK ON BLACK
292 Posts
its a beautiful hand made car spend the money it better than the new mercedes cars- unless you are the 3 year lease and get a new car person

·
Registered
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
I too think you should put the original amber corners back on if you have them, the clears look too white

I'm sure you'd get the price you want if you were to get some euro headlights for it...then you could sell me the DOT lights...also spend a little bit more and throw some gen-2 15" wheels on
Bundts may be classic but they make the car look 10-15 years older than it is

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cascade, your contribution in that single post has helped much I will keep all of your suggestions in mind when doing the work to my car, I appriciate you taking the time to write such a post for me, Thanks!
And yes the corners do look bad, I need new ones...

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
Those corners don't look bad - the sun angle is just not complimentary to the one on the right (photo), but otherwise your car is a really nice looker.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eh, this one is still too nice to cut up for parts, mechanically it's perfect. i just want a different engine with some more power. besides it would make a good sleeper.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
it looks to me like it's a pretty nice car. some minor touches and i bet you'll get $2000-$2500. $4000 is asking alot.

my basic suggestions would be to reinstall the amber corners. then paint the headlight surround black to match the car. very easy to remove, clean, dry, and spray it with three coats of Krylon Fusion plastic paint. would look wonderful. a set of 15 hole wheels from the JY would also bring it up to date for next to nothing. and a tip for this is to pop the trunk of all the JY cars and find the spares. they are typically unused and in very nice condition. don't bother replacing the whole bumper, you can just get the chrome pieces for the price of an oil change. from here, you can sell it for enough money to buy a nice 500/560 to feed your lust for power.

if your keeping it, as stated before, maintanence should be your priority. all the goodies are best kept for later. however, i wouldn't paint the grille. i think it looks great as is. the only reason i blacked mine out is because the plastic was old and a bit powdery. but after having a blacked grille for so long, i'm really looking forward to getting a new grey one and leaving it as is.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Well, you know I've seen it in person. I think with a little detailing, which I can help you with, and some of the cheap fixes, We can up the anty to 2500 with my help. Then pull the sub and power amp. and sell it. the car needs way too much work and alot of the existing problems will only come back to haunt you in the future. Let me know when you have some time, and we'll knock some of the detailing out. My car is going back to the bodyshop tomorrow and I won't have it for about 3 days. If you'd like, I can take the car and start working on it tomorrow. I'll be bored anyway without my car here. Then we will think about what to do once we put some elbow grease into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts