Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Borrowed my girlfriends D5000 this AM...
Mainly I want to figure out what to do about my hood since its brutally sun wrecked now. The rest of the paint is pretty good.

Do you think I should get the entire car sprayed or just get the hood redone?
What do you guys think? Need some advice here since paint is a touchy subject when it comes to doing the job RIGHT.
Plus, last photo...not sure what to do about that little paint nick that seems to show some rust on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,394 Posts
I would only have the hood resprayed since the rest of the car seems to look pretty good for the given age. You'll save a lot of money vs respraying the whole car if you wanna have it done right..

As far as the little rust spot goes, sand it (rust spot only) and get a MB touch up paint kit w/ primer and some clear coat.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should I expect to spend to have a good job?
Or could I even do it myself? I have a spare W124 fender I could practice on....

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
If you've never done paintwork before, leave it to a reputable shop. For a good job, expect to pay at least $300 but more likely closer to $500 assuming you do the hood R&R. Not surprisinglly, paints supplied by BASF seem to work the best although only the better/more expensive shops tend to use BASF.

The little spot you can tackle yourself with the touch-up paint kit. Use the spare fender as a practice run.

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
Forgot to mention that you should also install a new hood insulation pad when you get the hood back from the paintshop. Otherwise, the engine heat will destroy the new paint before the AZ sun does.

Also suggest you do some prep on the hood before dropping it off with paint such as radiator grill & windshield spray nozzle removal. It will help keep the cost as low as possible.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Put on a new hood pad last year so that is covered :) I believe the damage mostly came from the fact that my cats were blocked before I had them gutted and they would GLOW purple...definitely a LOT of heat heating up the underside of the hood and the old hood pad was practically gone.

What I will probably do is just completely remove the grill along with the washer nozzles as you said...yeh should keep it low.

300-500 is not too bad...It would be nice to see a shine again!

I was....debating maybe getting a junkyard hood from the later model cars, but then I'll be required to get new headlights too...never ends! :D

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Remove the grille and you can do some prep work to save $$$.

New hood pad is a great idea, too. I'd probably install that before I have the top painted (assuming you're just painting the top of the hood).

I wouldn't do the facelift I like the way the earlier look is.

Nice rig.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
My hood looked quite similar. I opted to just spring for a full facelift kit and never look back.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to a local shop....quoted $850...even if I did the headlight + grill removal, it would be $600.

Maybe I'll find the updated hood first if I am gonna spend that sort of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts