Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Wish I could say. She's very into crafting which is out of my wheelhouse. I sent her a bunch of stuff and magically got a picture like this!

·
Registered
1983 300SD
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Not sure if I posted this already but just put it on another thread it's probably not bad to have in multiple places. I imagine it might be helpful to someone in the future. Every disassembly picture I've take of my car and boneyard cars along the way. Just lots of how things go together, order of bolts/washers, etc. Please feel free to ask questions regardless of how dead the thread is.

W126 disassembly

·
Registered
1983 300SD
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Heads up for future amateur car taker-a-parters... video.

My buddy and I are caught up on small aspects of putting the dash back in (those Bowden cables tho) so went to the boneyard to take one out. For the first time since last October it occurred to me to document each step with video. Kind of obvious in retrospect. Having a walk through on every step really clears things up.

Next level obvious would have been to wear a go-pro for all of it

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W215 2001 CL500
5 Posts
We’re in the same boat. 1984 500SEL graymarket. Going on for about 3-4 months now with the restoration. A lot of nerves gone but very rewarding stuff. My tip: don’t throw away the old parts until you get new ones. New ones can be wrong ones. And record everything before you take it off. Came close to pulling my hair out couple times because I forgot how to reassemble it. Mostly because wait time for parts is long and you just forget some stuff.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See your car on that trailer brings back memories from high school. I loved my Turbo Diesel...same rims, Black with Grey Interior.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Painted eBay dash in. Check out the beautiful wood from Igor in LA! My friend and I had to go to the boneyard to figure it out since it had been so long since we took mine out. We took video this time.

Three notes -

First is that the plastic trim for the light switch changes from early to later cars. Luckily I had both on hand because my original one would not have gone in.

Second, the center vents were the largest impediment. We had to remove them entirely and install them in the dash outside of the car. I'm still not exactly sure where the bowden cables go but I don't see how you could do it without fully releasing the vents. Even outside of the car some screws required carefully using a phillips bit instead of an actual screwdriver.

Lastly, we dropped the steering column but did not take the wheel out. After doing this I don't think the steering wheel coming out is at all necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,350 Posts
Nice. Best way is to leave the vents and just take the dash out. I don't remember how but I've done it a couple times that way, the vents and console and everything don't get moved and the dash comes away. I got the tip from a great post on the forum somewhere.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Interesting. We were really scratching our heads on the vents. I'm not surprised there's a better way to approach it.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts