Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It took a while (mostly because of me) but I've gotten a quote on doing front floorpan carpet and rear carpet in sheepskin from Ultimate Sheepskin... $500. Same as their standard price for front and rear floormats. I was fully expecting it to be well over $1,000. This comes with the major caveat that I haven't seen the quality in person yet. But there will be an update on that in a few weeks.

I took a piece of junkyard carpet and drew a line a couple inches forward of where the rearmost seat bolts are. I think anything forward of that is hidden from view even if you put your face on the floor and looked under the seat. Cut down that black line and sent it in along with tracings of the fronts. I didn't notice until after I cut it, but separate from the rest of the carpet, the rear portion doesn't need to be molded. I think that's part of why the price is the same as standard. And fortunately their blue is almost a dead on match for early 1980s Mercedes interior blue. I ordered a ton of swatches anticipating having to ask for a special dye job.

I was keeping my original carpet anyway, but I think this + cleaning the rest of the carpet outside of the car and hitting it with SEM is an interesting alternative to a carpet kit.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So they'll make the whole piece from sheepskin to fit the car?
Yup. Apparently they're willing to work with custom jobs. I thought that's what I was getting a quote for and they gave me the floormat price.

I'm considering having more of the small carpet pieces done to make a continuous look. Going to wait and see what the quality is like on this order first.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts