Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is happening to my 300E 2.6? Had an engine put in ($2,200.00).....then a heater hose burst on the highway last week...($172.00)...and now, AGAIN...the car is overheating anytime the outside temp is 70 or over.

The cooling fans are not coming on. The fuses seem to be blowing. mechanic cannot figure out whats going on. Also, the oil pressure at cold idle is 1.5...after the car has been running..oil pressure drops to .5 or zero. When I accelerate, it jumps up almost past the "3". Any ideas????

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
First question is why would you put an engine into this car? You just spent more on the engine then the car is worth and you created a 1000 new problems!! Not smart. It sounds like you have a bad T-stat and possibly a cracked top rad hose connection (is that where it blew?).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I do like the car alot and its cheaper than spending 10k on a 2000 E320. I think that you are right tho. It may be the thermostat. Plus..it may be cheaper to drive the car for a year..put 500 in it...then sell it for 2000-2500 in a year and pay cash for a 2000 E.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas on the aux fans? The fuses keep burning out. Mechanic tells me he has to hook it up to read the codes and it may take 4 hours.

I did notice that when the hood is up, and looking at the engine, the left fan spins freely left or right. The right one is not as free spinning and seems almost slightly notchy. A friend that I asked about this states to me that maybe it is trying to spin but everytime that it does it shorts out the fuse.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Well I do like the car alot and its cheaper than spending 10k on a 2000 E320. I think that you are right tho. It may be the thermostat. Plus..it may be cheaper to drive the car for a year..put 500 in it...then sell it for 2000-2500 in a year and pay cash for a 2000 E.
Who said you had to get a 2000 E320. You should have sold this one or parted it out and then got a 94/95 E320. You should sell this car now...before you dump any more money into this pit.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Oil pressure drops to .5 is abnormal. Normally, oil pressure is at 3 when car is running and at 1.5 when car is idling at traffic light. Do you see oil in the coolant tank? could be head gastket.

·
Registered
C124,S210-ex... W140 500SEL Black '93 & W202 C250 20V Diesel '94
19 Posts
floridabenzboi,
about overheating check fan(s) sensor in top of head :rolleyes:

·
Registered
W124
5,019 Posts
Although not a cause of the fans not powering up, the radiator is a common cause of high running temps and pegged temp gauges at an idle. The fans should come on when the A/C is running. Do they?

PS: At 4 hrs to diagnose this issue, I'd say your mechanic is overestimating the diagnostic time. This is a one hour job for someone who knows these cars. And if he's the guy who installed the motor he probably should be a bit more benevolent.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the info. I do like the car. I know a 95 would be good but, I do not want to just get a 95 when I trade for a newer one. When I get a newer one, I want a much newer model. One thing I dislike tho is the build quality of the newer Mercedes.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
One thing I dislike tho is the build quality of the newer Mercedes.
That's exactly why you should stick with a 95. It won't break the bank either. It's something you can upgrade to now and not worry about saving up for. If you must get a W210, then go 00-02.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try to unplug the stuck fan and change the fuses, then check if the fuses blow again, if they dont it`s a good chance that the stuck fan is the reason it overheats and blows fuses.

If the oilpressure is .5 at idle I suggest you beat up the bastard sold you that engine, on my the oilpressure is at 2-2,5, but I live in Norway, maybe colder here than were you live. here we throw engines or fix them with pressure under 1-1,5.

oilpressure cold idle should be 2,5-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts