Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 230e 1984 which had to my knowledge been left standing for some time and wouldn't start. I fitted a new filter and fuel pump and still will not start. Ignition seems to be OK, plugs are not wet, pump runs when key is turned to start and the engine still does not fire at-all.

Prior to fitting pump, completely drained out the petrol tank and refilled with 1 gallon.

I would much appreciate your thoughts.

Brian

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
What is the condition of the cap, rotor and spark plug wires? Are the spark plug wires soft or are they hard and rigid? Are there cracks in the wires? My old 280e wouldn't start after a heavy fog and couldn't get it started for a month (didn't really do much trouble shooting had other stuff to do), so I changed the spark plugs then tried to turn it over a buch of times (had to recharge the battery atleast once, but could have been twice) when it finnaly started it ran rough for about 30 seconds then started fine after that. At night there where sparks arcing between the spark plug wires, they were basically shot, I drove on them all winter and then in a heavy fog in the spring it started doing the same thing (it didn't want to start but eventually did and ran fine), then after doing a full tuneup with new wires fog didn't affect it after that. My theory was that moisture had gotten into the wires caused them to short out from the thick fogs, but after drying out from the warm engine they were fine until then next heavy fog (which only happened 2-3 times a year at that location). Basically I'm guessing that it's not getting spark, so you might want to actually take the spark plug wires off and warm them up indoors for the night or something (some place warm) to get the moisture out of them. That's only if the wires are shot, if the wires are soft and newer then it's probably not the wires.

edit: another reason i mention this is because I thought it was a fuel problem also and replaced the filter, but it wasn't a fuel problem and it is happening at the same time of year. You could also try spraying some starting fluid in the intake if you think it's a fuel issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you for all your comments so far. I have had another look; there is no fuel coming through to the inlet manifold and the pump works (as it is brand new|) but only for two seconds at the most.
Does anyone know if a) two seconds is usually sufficient and that I should put power onto the pump direct for 8-10- seconds to get it to bleed through properly. of b) is this a fault with the fuel pump timer/relay and where is the relay in the car?

Regards

Brian

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,340 Posts
Fuel pump relay is on the drivers side wheelwell, under a black plastic square cover. I think it's the one in the back left corner.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
If the whole system was drained 1 gallon may not be enough fuel.

I thought that Electric Fuel Pumps were supposed to stay on until a certain pressure was reached.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts