Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two and a half months the car has been in the shop over 30 days…with 5 different attempts to fix it's numerous problems. And now…I have a new problem with the brakes, which is currently awaiting backordered parts from Germany.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550
3 Posts
Quite pleased with my SL 500--9 months old

My 2003 Launch Edition SL 500 has over been driven by one person - 9,000 miles - and was delivered new in early March 2002. It has never been in the shop, and everything performs as expected. It is driven daily - slow and fast -in both nice weather (top down) and in snowy, icy weather under both local city road conditions, country roads, and Interstate Highway conditions. (A minor item of note might be an occasional squeak when I first turn on the windshield wipers.) Giff Albright of State College,PA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame on you Mercedes-Benz!

As you can see from the following correspondence I am not please at all with my 2003 SL500...

First Letter - December 9th 2002
To Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.:

This letter is to directly inform you of the substantial electrical problems that I have been experiencing with my 2003 MB 500SL. I am very concerned that these serious problems with the vehicle may soon cause death or grievous injury to myself or others on the road.

This problem has been ongoing over the last 2 months or so with multiple attempts by your Mercedes Benz facilities (Mercedes-Benz of San Diego & Mercedes-Benz of Long Beach) to fix the problem.

With only 2716 miles on it, the vehicle was first brought into Mercedes-Benz of San Diego on Sept. 30th, 2002 with electrical problems involving the headlights. It took a week, until Oct. 4th, 2002 to fix it.

12 days later, On Oct. 16th, 2002 I again had major electrical problems. At first it would not allow me to enter my car due to an electrical problem so I called Mercedes Benz “S.O.S.� system and they too could not get the vehicle open. When I finally was able to enter using a mechanical key and started the vehicle…the dashboard lit up with just about every warning it could produce…including warnings that the ABS braking system was defective…gauges were going up and down, etc. I again took the car straight into Mercedes-Benz of San Diego and they worked on it for 2 weeks. On October 30th I picked up my car and hoped the problem was solved, even though I still didn’t feel totally reassured.

In a little over a week my fears had come true and the car again started having random electrical problems.
I took it in November 8th, 2002 to Mercedes-Benz of San Diego and they worked on it until November 13th, 2002 due to its dangerous electrical problems. They released the car back to me again stating that the problem was solved.

And now…while driving to Las Vegas, the SRS warning light stayed lit the entire trip. Both my passenger and myself were very concerned for our safety for the entire ride. Mercedes Benz of Long Beach began their attempt at fixing the problem on Dec. 3rd, 2002 and as of today Dec. 9th, 2002 it is not fixed yet.

As you can see this problem is very serious. Not only have I been without my vehicle for over 30 of the last 64 days, but during the times I could drive it, I have been worried that one of the critical systems could go out while I was on the road. My fears are not without reason…as the car’s electrical system has already proven faulty multiple times.

Feel free to check all work order logs for my automobile to corroborate all the unbelievable problems I have had with this car.

I do not wish to drive a car in fear, while the safety of others and myself is at risk due to the problems of this four-wheeled Mercedes-Benz mistake. I am now insisting that you give me a new car or buy back this unsafe electrical nightmare of an automobile per my legal rights under California law.

Sincerely,

Peter F. Desser
301 West 28th St., Suite R
National City, CA 91950 (619) 397-4546

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

2nd Letter in response to Mercedes-Benz Western Union mailgram (Dec. 11th, 2002)- Stating that the "local authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership and the regional manager would be in contact with me shortly if not already"

My response dated December 17th, 2002

To Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.:

Thank you for your Western Union Mailgram of Dec. 11, 2002. Needless to say you could have sent it by stage coach, as I have not been contacted by anyone from Mercedes-Benz…this being 6 days after your mailgram.

As of today, Dec. 17th, 2002 my 2003 SL500 is again at Mercedes-Benz of San Diego having the brakes worked on. This is now the 6th time this car is in the shop since Sept. 30th, 2002 and it has now been in the shop for a total of 38 days…and is still there!

It seems to me that Mercedes-Benz has put a new car on the market without truly testing it, in order to save time and money. Instead it appears that Mercedes-Benz is having their customers test the cars for them at their own cost. Shame on you Mercedes-Benz.

I will now contact a Lemon Law attorney and will see you in court if I have to.

A $100,000 car should not have the problems I am having and I am sure any court will agree with me.

Sincerely,

Peter F. Desser
301 West 28th St., Suite R
National City, CA 91950 (619) 397-4546

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No new developments other then that the car is still at the shop and it won't be done today.

No word yet from Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
2010 GLK350 4matic->2012 E550 4matic
149 Posts
Fixing up problems with the SL500

Peter, at least have them given you a decent loaner car?

I dealt with MB of Canada and being a factory store, they have far better service. My R230 had its fair share of minor problems but have all been fixed and the service was excellent. As a gesture of goodwill, I have been given the V60 phone and had the CL500 to drive during the last couple of service appointments.

Be firm and make specific demands yourself instead of waiting them to get back to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Peter, at least have them given you a decent loaner car?
You're not going to believe this...but the dealership gave me a Toyota Corolla. Fully loaded with 4 cylinders and mechanical seats! As long as I don't want to pass anyone or climb a hill, I'm doing just fine.

It may not be a decent car but it sure is a hell of a lot more reliable then my 2003 SL500 in the shop!

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off-Road
513 Posts
Oh, dear God. A Toyota Corolla.

Just give me the name and address for a CEO. My frien...

Oh, dear God. A Toyota Corolla.

Just give me the name and address for a CEO. My friends and I will take him out back and show him what the old Mercedes-Benz was like. I'll bash his head into my I6 engine block and show him what 300,000 miles feels like.

2,000 miles and you have had more days in the shop than I have had the past 5 years with both cars combined! Someone over there in Benzy engineering deserves a bitch slap. $100,000 shouldn't be the cost for someone to find out Benzs just aren't what they used to be.

Good luck, P-Desser. You deserve an SL-55 with no maintenance costs for 10 years. Make sure your lawyer sends a good message to MB to help them get their a$$ in gear.

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
No disrepect...

But what do you expect with a high-tech car? Technology might be cool, but I think that MB is getting carried away with this technology thing. Not only will it cost more to maintain, it will become dated very quickly. What would you rather have... a Rolex or a digital watch? (Last time I looked... Rolex wasn't doing anything with digital.)

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
314 Posts
Your electrical problems.

Hello,

It's really sad to hear about the problems with your SL. I don't know much, very little infact, but I bet this could be caused by something very small. Did you have anything installed after? Such as a CD changer, cell phone etc... Perhaps they were installed incorrectly. Maybe the battery is faulty, or something like that. Well I'm just throwing out random ideas.

I agree a little with gherman, yes Mercedes is becomming a little too reliant on technology. I love the 560SEL, I drive, not too much is computer controlled, and it is quite reliable. ( Though the car is on it's fourth transmission). Sure the high tech features are great, but those should be used to enhance the car, not make it. I would like to have my suspension computer controlled, but it should also work well mechanically, without the tricks. It's similar to a computer, they're designed to make our lives easier, but often it just makes them more stressful.

·
Premium Member
2003 500 sl
4 Posts
Mine too is a lemon

I bought my car in September 2002, and it has been back to the dealer seven times for the same problem which they can seem to fix-the SRS system. The dealer has had the car for more days than I.

Each visit is at least three to four days and couple of times over a week. I know the feeling that you have in not knowing whether your airbags are going to deploy unexpectantly or not deploy at all in case you do have an accident.

The paint job on the car looks older than my 91 sl, and the brakes are giving me the same problems that you are having. I have just started legal action.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update...

Well I finally received the car back in late December and thus far have had no problem since. Of course I only put a few hundred miles on it around town since I honestly don’t trust the car at all. There are only so many times you can trust a car and have it completely die on you before you just accept that it is junk, plain and simple.

And on top of all the problems I had…and after I wrote those letters directly to Mercedes-Benz…I have yet to be contacted by ANYONE from Mercedes-Benz in regards to my problems…despite the mailgram I received on Dec. 11th, 2002 from them stating…"local authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership and the regional manager would be in contact with you shortly if not already"

Needless to say I have bought my last Mercedes-Benz…after being a loyal customer for years.

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
A few friends of mine have the same problem. My friend has a 2002 C320 and it has electric...

A few friends of mine have the same problem. My friend has a 2002 C320 and it has electrical gremlins. Like someone previously mentioned it could be the most little thing. I am scared of this technology thing. I have a 94 E280 and it has enough for me as it is. I love the feeling of working on my own car, and I think there will be a point where that cant be done anymore. My dads 300TE has 325,000kms and its still going strong....A testament to engineers not beancounters

·
Registered
C280 Sport
70 Posts
I strongly agree.
3 weeks 21 days after i baught mine, the srs light goes off. Im having...

I strongly agree.
3 weeks 21 days after i baught mine, the srs light goes off. Im having problems with the parktronic as well. It keeps going off, i agree there technology was not yet there when they decided to release the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts