Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

W220 Moderator
Hi,

You aren't seriously considering fitting that piece of Chinesium junk to your Car are you ?

It is such a critical component it just has to be MB, Gates or Febi Bilstein ;)
Think how much it'll cost you when, (very likely not if ), it breaks on the Motorway and cooks your Engine :eek:

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
Cheers Dave. If I was sure I was going to fit it I would have ordered it and not asked.

A Google search of M112 tensioners throws up images of plastic pulleys on the tensioners, hence my question about the metal v's plastic one. I've seen pics of plastic one beside an MB box.

Do you know if the metal pulley can be sourced separately or are the newer revs plastic? It would seem logical that it would be available in the same way you can purchase the idler one.

As for Chinese stuff. I supply the automotive electronics industry and also have machines designed and built in China. I have been involved in the set up of automotive electronics production lines in China and Mexico l. All the automotive sub manufacturers have plants there producing to the same specs. China can produce european quality with zero problems it just costs a few % more than the cheapo chinese domestic market stuff so I wouldn't dismiss it all.

So if you can recommend an OE equivalent I would be much obliged. Plastic or metal is fine with me.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Registered
Yep, that's the original. The project 2000 S500 also had the all-metal one, too. Unfortunately, those original-style all-metal pulleys are not available anymore, and the new plastic pulley will not properly fit on the original-style belt-tensionier. Well, it will seat, but it won't spin because of how the new pulleys are made. The ridges on the new pulley will bump right up against the belt-tensioner body.

So, you've got to get an entirely new belt-tensioner assembly. Fortunately, it's a drop-in replacement; no new belts or any other nonsense like that are needed.

That said, I do kinda like how the original belt-tensioners have that extension that you can put the Torx bit onto, to loosen belt tension; it's easier access than the new-style ones. But the new-style ones don't require Torx bits, so it's a trade-off, I guess.

And please, for the sake of your car, do get the OE part. INA has been making the pulleys for M-B for years and is the first OE for this. Febi is the other one. Those two are the ones you want to go with. The part # is 1122000970 and fits all M112/M113 engines.

W220 Moderator
Hi @Biped ,

Well, your post didn't say that your picture was a "for example".
There was absolutely no offence intended btw, so apologies if my post came across that way ;)

I am noted for being direct, it's just the way I am ;)

I did recommend much the same as @cowboyt ................

In my post above I suggested MB OE, Gates or Febi Bilstein, so we can add to that INA which I was unaware were OE Manufacturer for MB 馃槈.

Here:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Aux-Belt-Tensioner-V-Ribbed-15875-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-5-YEAR-WARRANTY/173426871627?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=b823f8235694464394735d043a9c9a76&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=323726548090&itm=173426871627&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

In my old bosses Workshop, we did back to back testing on all the allegedly better Chinese parts, on various fleet vehicles and almost all failed in short order.
Chinese Electrical / Electronic components, sensors etc were the worst, often not working right out of the box, we Datalogged all this back then btw.

I am simply not prepared to take the chance on my own or my customers Vehicles.

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
No worries Dave. I ordered one yesterday morning along with an idler pulley. Big reputable motor factors was having an online sale with 35% off so ordered from them.

Next job was the plugs. So pulled one to have a look and they are well past their best before. Packs on the nearside are all nice but the drivers side has a leak from the oil breather so that's a remove and new gasket job.

The oil has run down and wicked up the plug leads so I need to source two of them and maybe a coil although nothing to suggest a misfire. MB looking for 鈧60 per lead and no clue what a coil pack is.

Might try a breakers for some leads to tide me over as I'm not sure how bad the oil weep is. Throwing on two clean leads with the plugs should be fine for the time being so I have her running right. If it's a long term keeper then new leads and coil packs would make sense along with redoing the gaskets on the breathers and valve covers.

More later

Registered
No worries Dave. I ordered one yesterday morning along with an idler pulley. Big reputable motor factors was having an online sale with 35% off so ordered from them.

Next job was the plugs. So pulled one to have a look and they are well past their best before. Packs on the nearside are all nice but the drivers side has a leak from the oil breather so that's a remove and new gasket job.

The oil has run down and wicked up the plug leads so I need to source two of them and maybe a coil although nothing to suggest a misfire. MB looking for 鈧60 per lead and no clue what a coil pack is.

Might try a breakers for some leads to tide me over as I'm not sure how bad the oil weep is. Throwing on two clean leads with the plugs should be fine for the time being so I have her running right. If it's a long term keeper then new leads and coil packs would make sense along with redoing the gaskets on the breathers and valve covers.

More later

I do have a few of those ignition cables perfect good used condition - if I can put my hands on them that is. They are buried in the garage somewhere from when I was fixing a misfire in my S430. (It turned out to the coil packs) If you can't get any used leads locally PM me

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
I've been plugging away at another little project for the last two weeks. Finished it last night. I know it will not appeal to the purists but when I found a roll of carbon effect vinyl for 鈧20 I said I'd try it as a learning experience. Definitely different than the wood and it works very well with the grey which was a concern.

There is too much black in the center but the new double din android should break that up nicely.

It's not too difficult to do but does take time. As I said the stuff I got was cheap and a good brand like 3M 1080 vinyl might be easier to work with but I don't know.

Anyway it's done now. To remove it would take about an hour so no big deal but it changes the interior look of the car dramatically. Will be interesting to see I with the new head unit running and outside in natural light.

A few pics, before and after. I shall go and put on my flame suit now!

W220 Moderator
Hi,

I like it, but I have no experience at this sort of thing ;)

Please, tell me, how do you manage to get the wrap around the corners so neat, perhaps a hot air gun ?

Cheers

Registered
Actually, that looks kinda cool, in the modern style.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
Dave,. Hot air gun is your friend. Just takes a little wave and the vinyl goes soft and can be stretched. It's a bit of a skill and being familiar with how teh material works and reacts to heat. As I said the high end stuff might be much easier than this cheap copy stuff but it was a learning experience. I left the main dash piece until last as it's tricky with all the curves.
Loads of vids on YouTube and if you wanted to try just get a sample but off eBay and have a play.

Thanks Cowboy, can't wait to see it in natural light with the head unit installed for full effect. Should definitely feel much more current.

Premium Member
Hey, that wrap will be the perfect solution for how to cover the left and right trim sides after putting my Android in.
The stock COMAND unit has black leather just like the dash. Ideally, I'd like to match it. But a simple satin or flat black would work well, too.
Thanks for the idea!

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
Hey, that wrap will be the perfect solution for how to cover the left and right trim sides after putting my Android in.
The stock COMAND unit has black leather just like the dash. Ideally, I'd like to match it. But a simple satin or flat black would work well, too.
Thanks for the idea!
4DGeorge you can get leather look vinyl also, lots of wood effect, pretty much any look that you want so it does offer lots of flexibility in terms of looks and style.

This where I got mine and have linked the leather examples for you, there's gator and snakeskin if you real want to go a bit crazy. As I said I bought here becasue it was so cheap as a test. To be fair it worked well and went on easily enough but I would like to try the high end 3M 1080 product as that gets a lot of positive reviews online.

Premium Member
Looks like some vinyl sites have full pre-cut kits for these vehicles. That could make repairing some (or all) of the wood trim in our vehicles a bit easier - if they have the wood grain of your choice. However, I did not find Elm wood as one of their options.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
I looked at them and watched a video on YouTube of some one fitting them. They stick on top and don't go around the sides. I think you would still see the original colour in places.

They might work on a flat recessed piece but for anything curved I think you really need to remove the piece and wrap around the edges to the back.

Older but not any wiser!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts