Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
G 2OOO
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... Can anyone help me, My 2000 G steering wheel is stocked, I tried for about an hour tonight and I can't turn the key in the ignition...
do I need a new key or a new igition?? If you have any Idea ,please let me know...Thanks, Joan.

·
Registered
W463, 300GE
647 Posts
I guess you already have tried to turn the steering wheel while doing it, right?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
I was in the last week speaking with Russ of Europa and he said that the steering lock is a nasty little mechanism on these trucks because it's designed such that it vitually never gets engaged, and so (as an un-excersized mechanism consisting of a pin which gets pushed into a hole to lock the steering wheel) its not that unusual that it gets stuck once engage.

Patient wiggling and jiggling of the steering wheel can help. This is gonna sound insane, but vibration is your best be for getting it loose, so if you can strap/tie/fix anything to the steering wheel or column while trying to jiggle the steering wheel free, your odds are better. I can't say mines ever been engaged so i don't remember the basic secuence for disengagement... keys in the ignition, car in park... other people might know better.

Worst case you're gonna need to get a mechanic to get into your steering lock mechanism to free it. As a preventative measure (who haven't had the issue arrise) or as part of the solution for you if your truck needs surgery, he recommended dissabling the mechanism by putting a set screw on the pin so it can't engage, or by removing the pin, or glueing it in place.

I'd be tempted to strap a Sawsall (obviously with no bladein it) to the steering wheel and have somebody pull the trigger on it while i tried to free it.

good luck.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
Bay Area?

atojama - 4/9/2006 4:05 AM

Hi guys... Can anyone help me, My 2000 G steering wheel is stocked, I tried for about an hour tonight and I can't turn the key in the ignition...
do I need a new key or a new igition?? If you have any Idea ,please let me know...Thanks, Joan.
Are you in the SF Bay area, as evidenced by a traceroute? There are some members here on this forum who also live there, and may be able to help.

If you have tried the suggestions from the other posters, you probably have the dreaded stuck steering wheel lock problem. If so, you have a difficult and expensive repair on your hands.

It's been discussed here before.

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1216192

and

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1220460

The hard part will be getting the proper parts; and, then getting the old pin out.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
atojama - 4/9/2006 12:09 PM

Thanks , this really help...I hope Europa have the parts!
Joan.
Europa no longer sells parts for the G. You will need to get the new key cylinder from an official MB dealer; and you will need to have the original European formatted VIN to do this.

Get the needed part numbers from the second of those threads I posted earlier. If you need help to reformat your VIN, let me know; although you should have a copy of the original Vehicle Data Card for your truck, as Europa usually provided these with the truck's documentation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts