Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I did a lot of reading before making my first post here. I decided to just get an oil change instead of forking up $450.00 for a service B ripoff. The oil change was done at a mercedes dealer and only cost $90.00. Not bad core 8 quarts of synthetic oil and a factory filter.

My question is, How do I reset the Schedule B message? At first I thought I had to wait for the service to be due. I tried to reset at the 400 mile warning, the 300mile warning and the 200 mile warning--all with no success.

I read my owners manual and I got the impression that once the service B shows due, then you just go to position two on the ignition and push the reset button for 10 seconds, wait and then press a second time.

This did not work. Can someone tell me how to reset the service B message on a 2003 C240?

I've only had the car since Sept 06 and believe me it's a creampuff. I purchased it certified with 34k.

Now if I could just figure out how to reset the service message.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 馃槧
It is rather simple. I just serviced mine this passed weekend and figured it out pretty quick. Turn the ignition fully on, go to the service reminder, press and hold for a few seconds until it asks if you want to reset it, then you press and hold it until it clears. It worked for me.

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try that this evening................I think I may not have been holding it long enough once it ask to reset. Did you do it with the engine running?

Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 馃槧
Could be. I had to try a couple of times because I didn't hold it long enough.

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #5
Whosdis said:
How many miles do you have on your c240? Are you happy with it?

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #6
Whosdis said:
Procedure doesn't work. What could I be doing wrong? Is there a such thing as being reset by computer?

Registered
05' C230 sold Sept, 09 05' Ford F-150 XLT
hardball1957 said:
Procedure doesn't work. What could I be doing wrong? Is there a such thing as being reset by computer?
Were you in the part of the display that says "Service B due in xxx miles"? You should be in that part of the menu. This is were you will hold the reset buton for about 10 seconds. Position 2 in the ignition is the "on position" all of the warning lights should be on in the car, make sure your have the key in that position. I think after you get it done once you will see what a simple mistake you made.

Registered
I have roughly 65,000Km (41,000mi.) on the clock. I am leasing it used from a dealer for three years. I am very interested in an SLK 350, and in the mean time, I chose the C240 4Matic for two reasons. One, the price was right and two, it was the only used C-class on the lot. Now, I'm not saying I "settled" for this car, because I did go for a test drive, and fell in love with it right away. I was looking at the specs for the C230 and the C240 and I always wondered why someone would choose the C240 when it has less H.P. then the C230. After driving the C240, It feels like it has more H.P. then is rated. This lease allows me 18,000Km/yr (11,184mi.). I've had it since 13 October, 2006, and since then, I've already put roughly 16,000Km (9,942mi.) on it. So it's gonna cost me a little when I bring it back. Oh, well.

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #9
Well here's an update. I was able to reset it myself but it would not stay reset. M.B. dealer refused to do it because I did not have service be done--just an oil change.

I ended up going to the local foreign car shop and he charged me $25 bucks to reset the service B message. I'm still ahead of the game because I saved $350 bucks by just getting an oil change and not getting all the "Check this and Check that" rippoff service.

Does anyone know the milage intervals between service a and sevice b? If I just reset service b, when should I expect the service A wrenches to pop up on the dash?

Registered
For that $25 bucks, did they show you HOW to reset it?

Registered
2003 C240
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I watched them. They hooked a hand held computer up to the inside of the car and reset it with that. It was about the size of a laptop. I got the impression that you cannot do it without that device. At least not on my 2003 C240.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts