Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 300sd its electrical or vacum related has anyone had trouble with brakes stiff as a rock n also the car wont shut off without lifting the hood n manually doing it. They both mess up at the same time everytime. I recently changed the battery bought new one. Old one went south. What could this be. Plz let it not be the vac its like 490 bucks
Sent from my SCH-R680 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
1984 300sd its electrical or vacum related has anyone had trouble with brakes stiff as a rock n also the car wont shut off without lifting the hood n manually doing it. They both mess up at the same time everytime. I recently changed the battery bought new one. Old one went south. What could this be. Plz let it not be the vac its like 490 bucks
Sent from my SCH-R680 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
My 1980 has moderately stiff brakes that do work. I expect 32 year old rubber brake lines are very narrowed internally. I have 4 lines ready to go on this weekend and will report back the results. New lines are needed regardless on any car over 15-20 years old. They are cheap at about $11 each at fcpeuro or autohaus Az.

Also, before changing brake lines, lube up the bleed screw first with your favorite penetrating oil and loosen to make sure it is free before replacing the line.

Same for draining the differential. Loosen the fill bolt first: If it happens to be stuck and you drain first then you have no way to put in new diff fluid yet all will have been drained out and you're left with an empty diff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts