Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

my 190E 2.6 w201 stalled! need help!

874 6
i was going at about 25 mph on a local st then everything just stopped working.. wtf and the check lights turned on. wtf happened? i waited for 20 seconds and it started again. but when i got home, it has stalled completely. wtf? what do u guys think is the problem? bad battery?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
I doubt if its a bad battery or you would not get it started again. If its turning over OK...

I doubt if its a bad battery or you would not get it started again. If its turning over OK its probably something else. The first thing I would do is put a bottle or two of Chevron Techron in the gas tank. Run it a little and let it sit. If that dos'nt work you are going to have post more discriptions of your problem so we can cypher if its a fuel or ignition problem. When was your last fuel filter and distributer cap and rotor? Maintaince history is important. Wal-mart sells the Techron. Ive such good luck with it I would'nt recomend any thing else.

· Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,570 Posts
Alternator?

If the alternator is shot your battery could be drained. The symptoms you describe make me think it may be the alternator. You don't give us your year or your location, but any good repair facilty can check it.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
I'd assume a bad distributor cap/rotor

I had similar issues with mine. I'd start it and dirve OK and all of a sudden it would fail. I could turn it over many times with an occaisonal "catch" towards the end of the dist cap/rotor's life, however prior to that I would get these random stalls. My mechanic was surprised i could still start it, supposedly there were no poits to contact.

good luck!

I regularly have my cap/rotor and wires changed almost yearly (50K miles), its probably a little overkill but I can't afford to get stranded on my long commute.

190E-Boy
1991 190E 2.6 198K miles

· Registered
2 Posts
check your voltage regulator on the alternator.
mercedes alterbator last a long time, usu...

check your voltage regulator on the alternator.
mercedes alterbator last a long time, usually the brushes on the regulator wear out. Its a cheap part I would take to MB dealer. check your battery they last about 5 years - check fluid level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.