1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just purchased a 1991 190e 2.6 two days ago
This car has had only one owner and has 150k
before purchaed it had recieved a new alternator and battery a coolant flush and spark plugs (but they are platinum so I have to go get some copper ones)
Today we replaced:
the distributor/cam gasket since it was leaking oil below the distributer cap
the valve cover gasket
various hoses that were hardened
the distributor rotor bracket (since it broke while working today)
serpintine belt

onto the title of the post...
the car idle at around 700 and doesn't fluctuate BUT it is so loud it seems. The best way to assoicate it is just as I said, like a muscle car engine chugging.

tomorrow (I hope) we will be replacing the fuel filter because I think that the loudness is coming from trying to push fuel and struggling. I hope this is the solution and not the fuel pump itself.

am I off base?
The fuel filter will be changed anyways since I am pretty sure the one owner was not a maintenance freak, but did not torture the car either. (this car was donated to a charity and then bought fyi)

anything else that may be giving off the sound of a car from the 60's/70's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Hi
the car idle at around 700 and doesn't fluctuate BUT it is so loud it seems. The best way to assoicate it is just as I said, like a muscle car engine chugging.
Worn out or leaky exhaust manifold gasket?

Previous owner swapped the engine with a v8 and installed tunnel rams? :)

Hard to say without actually hearing the engine. You may have exhaust leaks
somewhere unless the noise is coming from inside the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks we'll look it over today.
Fuel filter and seafoam are getting started soon

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so the fuel filter is severely stuck, my husband is ready to bash the car to bits...any advice?

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
Ok so the fuel filter is severely stuck, my husband is ready to bash the car to bits...any advice?

It's okay, spray liberal amounts of PB Blaster on the nuts holding it on, then let it sit for about an hour to really work itself in, if he is in sort of a rush at least 30 minutes. This should help, it's worked for me on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, I couldn't get him the info fast enough.
Off to the junkyard (since its sunday..I hate sundays, nothing's open!) to try and remove one from another car with the proper temperment..haha.
He hates the car right now, even though after all the work yesterday and the victory lap (110mph) he exclaimed I LOVE IT!
This is my car, although he is the mechaninc, and I am competing with our other car (now soley his) a 2004 BMW 330i which is apparantly a dream to work on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we did the filter and seafoam. No change in the idle. No vaccum leaks noted. Also cleaned out the idle control valve, which wasn't very dirty.
Stumped for now. Seems like a million things could be causing the chugging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts