Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with me at the helm, might be upon me this week.

I expect to receive a call tomorrow, requesting my presence in Austin, TX, later this week. The plan is relocation from Vegas, so I'd just drive the 420 down to Dallas, stay with family, do my thing in Austin, then drive back to Dallas so as to catch a quick, one-way flight back to Vegas, to get my wife and her car (and the motorhome...too many vehicles).

Question is, while I've done the timing chain/guides/tensioner, put in new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, oil, filter, and have gone through quite a bit of the car, I'm wondering if there's something unusual I should be prepared for.

The spare is good, I have everything it had from the factory in the trunk, plus I'd have my Leatherman ti, and maybe a screwdriver or two. I've had the front wheels off, to look at the rotors/pads, and they're near new. I'm just trying to avoid being stuck in central NM @ 3AM, wondering where in the hell the nearest cellular tower is...and who I need to call. Worse comes to worst, I catch a ride to the next town with a rental car joint, and go from there.

Ideas? I've considered carrying my tire plug gun and the travel air compressor, leftovers from long-distance motorcycle rallying, but the spare should be fine, even if it is likely the original Michelin MXV. I've looked at it, it's not cracked at all, hold air just fine, and has decent tread left on it. Plus, it's my wife's Lexus which has tires bordering on illegally thin on tread. Pffft, it's Vegas, the rain we had last night was a rarity...you don't need actual tread.... :p

Gotta love it when 1/2" of rain in 24 hours breaks a 65 year old record.

The tires on my car are solid, it doesn't appear to use any oil, I wanted to change the PS fluid before too long, but 1500 miles won't kill it.... I just need to know I'm not overlooking anything, as I've had the car only 1500 miles, or thereabouts, and this will be an important trip, i.e. employment. It feels solid. Nothing besides front-end bushings come to mind when I think "what needs to be repaired relatively soon...".

I've gots me my V1, the fuel gauge is spot-on accurate, as is the speedo/odo.... I just feel like I'm missing something. 40 CD's in a carrying case, finally put the 'new' Infinity 625i speakers I've had for four years, now, in the doors....there's room to sleep in there if I need a nap...wish I had euro headlights, but I'm still working on that. Having income would help....

·
Registered
149 Posts
A short jumper wire with alligator clips at each end so as to jump the fuel pump relay. Also a gallon of water/coolant. Screwdriver, pliers, 17mm and 12mm wrenches. If you have not yet taken a long drive in a 126 get ready to find out what these cars are all about. I had a Caddy just like your last one that was a comfortable, floating, sleepy ride. I have found myself to be much more rested after driving an SEC or SEL at journeys end. Enjoy your trip! Jim Alex

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The wagon gets to stretch it's legs the most lately... in the back, I've got:

-the old belts that I requested to keep last time the belts were changed.
-portable air compressor.
-MB coolant.
-Gallon of oil (I know, but that's how it comes for the diesel stuff... I've also got antigel, but you don't need that)
-Gallon of distilled water.
-MB Hydraulic fluid for the suspension.
-flashlight and batteries. (Flashlight also doubles as weapon ;))
-couple trash bags to get rid of the evidence or to use as ponchos.
-tire chocks (Did you know MB sells these collapsible ones for about $8 a piece) .
-factory things like first aid kit (replenished and up to date), working, greased factory jack, factory tools, with a couple odds and ends wrenches--good spare inflated to proper PSI.
-high quality, high temperature tape (never used).
-Surgical gloves... the good kind... always great to arrive someplace just on time, look spotless, and tell them you were worried about being late cause you had to fix X on you car...

That should do it... anything else, and I figure I'll call MB Roadside, or equivalent... I use Verizon Wireless, and in trips from NYC to AZ (traveling south, then over) I was never once out of service... Get a phone charger...

I've never needed to use most of these things on a trip, but it's good to have them... what's better is knowing your car is in good shape, and being cautious in strange country.

...and I forgot...MB(and BMW) dealer guys have always been good about handing out those books that list the dealers in various states...

And since your in NV, and probably never do it... get some new wiper blades on your way out of town. I remember seeing people lose their minds trying to drive in the desert... as it looked like they'd never seen rain before, and they were definitely ill prepared for it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And since your in NV, and probably never do it... get some new wiper blades on your way out of town. I remember seeing people lose their minds trying to drive in the desert... as it looked like they'd never seen rain before, and they were definitely ill prepared for it.
A good list of stuff, though I'll probably skip some of it, just 'cause I'm very unlikely to need it.

Fortunately, I'm not from NV, and spent four years of Hell in Portland, OR, so I knows me 'bout moisture. Not only that, before Oregon, it was three years @ 9K feet in the CO mountains, and I spent my first 28 years in Dallas, TX, which is known to have 4"/hour rains, on occasion...and they're kinda scary, even if you've grown up with 'em.

However, while the wiper blades are good, a coating of Rejex on the entire car, including all the windows, means water pretty much disappears above 50 MPH. It shames Rain-X, and doesn't leave a light haze I found Rain-X does. I still have a bunch of Aquapel cartridges, but this stuff seems to work better, and on paint, it makes cleaning ten minutes with a drying towel after a rain.

Rain in Vegas causes a freak-out like you've not experienced unless you've seen Houston or San Antonio in an ice storm. It's raining right this second, in fact, and I'm surprised I haven't heard incessant sirens all night...or idiots doing doughnuts in the new parking lot pretty close to us. It's amazing what will amuse people when they're not regularly exposed to it.

You're right about the 4-D cell Maglite...I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that sucker.... Glad you mentioned it, as it can get mighty dark out there.

I don't have a car charger for my still semi-new phone, so I'll put the 12V to 110V inverter in the trunk, just in case I need some 110V juice.

Yeah, surgical gloves... My wife got a bunch for me one time, so I'd not be horribly filthy all the time. Since, I've gotten bona-fide mechanic's gloves, and even washed 'em last week. It's amamzing how much cleaner you stay, and how injuries to skin are almost nil. I'll have to carry a hand towel with some Gojo degreaser goo.

I'd forgotten how long it takes for a cut, which got grease in it, to turn back to white-man skin color. The older you get, the longer it takes, too...and the more obvious it is that you're doing stuff you probably are too old to be doing (in other people's eyes).

Jim, wire and jumper clips I can make, I figure 8" of wire would do it, max, I have the parts on-hand, but where is said fuel pump relay? I figure it's under dash, somewhere, but I've been wrong before. Could just as easily be in the trunk, somewhere.

Oh, and I should mention, the 'new' CC amp from the junkyard didn't improve, or even change, my CC's behavior...that being some jerky engagement followed by lots of throttle, then nothing. Cleaning the actuator box didn't change anything, either, but I got it back together correctly, so I'm happy! The board was ultra-clean...I mean eat-off-it spotless...even though it'd been in the yard who knows how long, in a car which was 19 years old.

The CC amp was on the same bracketry as the part I really wanted, the interior light/seat belt buzzer relay, which I've found also works the OEM alarm, so I took it all. Sure enough, the 'new' old one works, so I have buzzer, a working driver's door light switch, and the OEM alarm is back to functional. I've had a passive OEM alarm just like this actually save a car, so anything can help, and it's less likely to be ignored, IMHO, than those ultra-cheesy sounding alarms which have 14 different, annoying tones.

One thing about the CC amp and light relay...I can't figure out where the bolt is for the nut which holds it on. I'd thought it'd be obvious, but no. Fortunately, there are a plethora of wires/tubes which will hold it up until I can dig back into it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel pump Relay is on the firewall. A black box with 8 ZYL lettering.
Thanks, I'll hunt for it, tomorrow. I may have scored an extra one of these from the junkyard, as while I was there, I looked for every electrical device which was intact and easily removable. I managed to find a few which were on the firewall, keep 'em in the trunk, as I've not gotten around to figuring out what they do...or if they still work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I failed to mention that you would jumper #7 to #8 upon failure of FPR. Remember to remove it when stopping the motor.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,260 Posts
Spare belts + fuses are a good idea. I would recommend a basic tool kit, and maybe add a little gasket / sealant, in case you have to throw out a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jump pins 7 and 8, got it, and pull said jumper before shutdown to prevent ugly things happening. Thanks for that! I was mulling it over last night while laying in bed and I thought to myself, if nothing else, I'll take the case apart and look at it.

Teutone, thanks on the other stuff. The belts are 18 months old, maybe, but pooky, the generic southern term for anything used as a sealant/glue, will defintely make the trip. I know thermostats fail in the 'open' position 99.8% of the time, but it's that other 0.2% which tends to hunt me down....

I forgot to add, on a trip such as this, I'd likely carry a short-handle 1/4" / 3/8" socket wrench, a short extension for each size, a handful of sockets, a few box-end wrenches, probably 10MM-14MM, both a small headed, but long shafted, flathead and a 'normal' one, plus a #2 Phillips and a smaller-headed one. There'll be some other stuff, too, but I need to keep it minimal, as I can't bring what I don't use, but may need on trip two, back to Vegas in my luggage. Would truly suck to bring something debatable, not use it, then find it's in Dallas, while I'm looking at part X on the Lexus or the motorhome @ midnight on a Sunday morning, 25 miles from the middle-of-nowhere, muttering "damn...I know where that wrench/tool is..." I'm pretty good at being creative, but there are things which can quell that tactic, quickly.

Failure of something unexpected is highly unlikely, as the Lexus still has under 60K miles and I keep it as close to new as possible, and the motorhome I keep in the tippest of tip-top shape. Plus, it's hard to kill a diesel.... I don't expect any trouble, whatsoever, out of the 126, but it's better to be prepared than hiking down a remote 2-lane road for a while.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I restored a 1964 VW Karmann Cabrio and took it on a long road trip(Co. to Indiana and back) and I took everything I thought i might need. Extra Gen., manual fuel pump, starter, w/solenoid, carb, etc. I had just restored the car and all components that I had extras for were new. I had an electric fuel pump installed. On the way back , somewhere in Kansas, I gassed up and headed back on the interstate and the car died. Luckily, There was a roadside park right there and I coasted into the car parking area. Determined that the Electric Fuel pump had died. Whipped out the wrenches, popped the fuel pump cap off the engine and slapped the manual fuel pump on and away I went, 20 minutes later. Got home and found All I had done to the electric fuel pump was lost the ground. I didn't have a continuity checker with me, so had no idea that was the cause.

Howeve, since I had planned ahead, the "Oh SH**", was just a 20 minute delay, and not catastrophic.

The old Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" is a good rule of thumb for road trips in older cars.

Have fun on the road trip and good luck on the job. Hate to see you leave the area though. Had hoped to meet up with you in Vegas and go parts hunting.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...a multimeter! I'd forgotten about that, completely. I bought one at Fry's, a place I hate, but after rebate, it was free, so why not. I bought it purely because I need an expendable/travel multimeter.

Funny you mention fixing stuff roadside, 'cause this was my introduction to timing belt replacement on a '95 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L. There was the slightest of water pump leaks, which wasn't visible, but was large enough to weaken said timing belt over the course of a year, so it failed at 82K miles instead of lasting to 100K, like it should have.

SURPRISE!!!!

I walked to a house with a phone, between Pueblo and Co Springs, had a cab come get me and my wife on the freeway, went to The Springs airport, rented a car, drove home, got the Suzuki GV I had, put all the tools in it I thought I'd need and the Haynes manual, drove back to the car. Pulled it the 3/4 of a mile to the next rest area, then dove in. Took a few hours, and it was entertaining to fellow travelers to see a car that apart in a rest area, especially one which was only 4 years old, at the time, but sure enough, it ran on the first turn of the key...after I found the timing belt had been changed mid-model year to a shorter one, which wasn't the one I had. The parts store had one, and stayed open for me, which was damned nice of 'em.

I knew it wasn't an interference engine, so I didn't care if it broke, but still, it's odd to have the engine just die at 85 MPH when you think you've got at least another year of driving in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts