Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In order to check why this car's engine (450SL 79, 86K) is running in such a bad shape, while a mechanic has done full tune ups, and changed distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires, I came across this when opened the cap! He also had adjusted the ignition timing without noticing that vacuum advance is also broken among many other things...Car was running like this for 2 months till Friend of mine asked me to take a look at it.

Auto part Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Vehicle

Wood Caramel color

· Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Who knows what brand this is! I have ordered new Bosch rotor and cap and will change the distributor's vacuum advance. Its not my car, this belongs to friend of mine who asked me to fix it as a favor... and Yep! car was running like S___t.

· R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s ALL SOLD
32,794 Posts
Can't see too well in the shadows. Are those contacts burned? Doesn't look like the spring loaded center contact was ever there.

· Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rowdie, seems like some one had broken the center contact at the time of installation and did not bother to change it and left it that way since the broken piece was not in there. So sparks will "jump" from center to the rotor and dark shadows on the rotor are actually the sparks that jumped to the rotor and all over the place since the car was missing sometimes and poor fuel consumption and ...

· R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s ALL SOLD
32,794 Posts
What a mess. Bosch cap will have either Bosch or symbol and the Bosch PN. Since the shop was this incompetent and negligent have you checked what wires and plugs they used?

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,854 Posts
What a mess. Bosch cap will have either Bosch or symbol and the Bosch PN. Since the shop was this incompetent and negligent have you checked what wires and plugs they used?
It APPEARS to be a Bosch cap.

But then again....the tool working on the car probably APPEARED to be a mechanic.

· Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Exactly, this is a mess! I have not checked the wires and plugs and do not like to use aftermarket parts on the car. I have bought $650 worth of parts from autohausaz such as brake master cylinder, fuel accumulator, Cap and rotor and various sutff. I think if the car runs smooth, I will leave it that way and change the aftermarket plugs and wires next year since I have spend alot of money so far..

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,854 Posts
Exactly, this is a mess! I have not checked the wires and plugs and do not like to use aftermarket parts on the car. I have bought $650 worth of parts from autohausaz such as brake master cylinder, fuel accumulator, Cap and rotor and various sutff. I think if the car runs smooth, I will leave that way and change the aftermarket plugs and wires next year since I have spend alot of money so far..
Plugs are cheap. Wires are another matter all together....you can buy cheap OR expensive. I have gotten a lot of miles out of my BERU wires.

The critical part is making sure the plugs and wires are compatible...resistor vs. non-resistor. I don't pretend to understand that issue.

· Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro 300sel5spd R+C107galore
25,246 Posts
Exactly, this is a mess! I have not checked the wires and plugs and do not like to use aftermarket parts on the car. I have bought $650 worth of parts from autohausaz such as brake master cylinder, fuel accumulator, Cap and rotor and various sutff. I think if the car runs smooth, I will leave it that way and change the aftermarket plugs and wires next year since I have spend alot of money so far..
Autohausaz.com won't necessarily tell you the right plugs and wires for your car. I think they suggested resistor plugs for my 1973, along with 1k ohm wires.

It is amazing the car can run at all with that distributor cap.

I had a cap with a spring loaded contact that was snapped into an angle making a sharper contact with the rotor head. I'm not sure if a p.o. Or mechanic did that to that Bosch cap intentionally or accidentally, but it sure seemed strange. It made a little circle on the head of the rotor. (Due to being improperly seated, the rotor and cap outer contacts got all messed up, with the rotor grinding into the cap in some locations, but arcing in others. Still ran.) Your situation seems more impressive though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
'99 SL500, '65 Corvette rdstr, '10 Volvo S80, '11 Chev Silverado
767 Posts
Man, I think that mechanic brought incompetence to a whole new level! I have never, ever, seen shoddy work as bad as this for what should be a really, really, simple installation. Reminds me of a surgeon leaving a scalpel in a patient! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.