Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, in the market for a e320 (late 90's) and just took one for a drive. The seats were a huge <br> dissapointment, they reminded me of my '90<br> 300e - WAY too soft and springy. Am I nuts or<br> does this bother anyone else ? I seem to recall<br> that MB had an upgrade for just this reason.<br> Any thoughts ? I'm not looking for seats like<br> my Boxster (for sale BTW), just something supportive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
See Bob, here you are complaining about your seats and then saying they're like the softies in the 90 300E and here I am in the market for a 90-93 300E. I think I'm going to purchase a fantastic automobile and now I know I'll suffer from mushy butt! It's just not right. Not right at all I say.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there were a few things that bothered me<br> about my 300: seats, enormous steering wheel and<br> the transmission starting in second gear. Having<br> said that, it was a great car. Fantastic ride, quiet, built like a vault, and great handling.<br> So, I was pretty torn when I sold it. I'm pretty<br> particular, so if those things don't bother you, you'll be quite pleased....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always wondered if you could tune the tranny to start in first gear. I had a 928S4 which used a Mercedes 4 speed auto and it was very easy to adjust the tranny to start in first gear. It was a matter of tightening the cable/rod that ran down to the shift linkage. Of course we're talking about a 1989 928S4 and I would imagine that on the Mercedes there could be all electronic controls. When and if I get the 300, I'll have to check into it and post if there's a simple fix.<br> <br> There is also another way to get it to 1st and that is by connecting a switch from the kick-down button under the accelerator. The reason the MB starts in 1st when floored is because you've pushed the pedal down so far that you've closed the kick-down crcuit that runs to a button below the accelerator. We used to run the wires over to the left and install an old fashioned high beam foot switch. Want to start in 1st? Just click the switch with the left foot, that closes the kick-down circuit and the tranny starts off in 1st. Some guys even got inventive and ran button switches to the dash and I even saw one install the button atop the auto tranny gear selector.<br> <br> Geez, from mushy seats to food-for-thought. Thanks, Bob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts