Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the linkage bushings hoping it would cure a hard shift condition. Didn't think it was the clutch as there is no slippage, turns out it is not releasing al the way. Pulled the slave cylinder (car does not have the spacer shim to test rod travel). It's a little different set-up than shown on EPC as the slave cylinder rod goes into a sleeve attached to the release fork.
All I needed was a little longer rod, so I thru a nut in the tube to make the shaft longer and the old girl is happy again !! :D Just a temp fix till Im ready to tear it apart. More later. :thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
I replaced the linkage bushings hoping it would cure a hard shift condition. Didn't think it was the clutch as there is no slippage, turns out it is not releasing al the way. Pulled the slave cylinder (car does not have the spacer shim to test rod travel). It's a little different set-up than shown on EPC as the slave cylinder rod goes into a sleeve attached to the release fork.
All I needed was a little longer rod, so I thru a nut in the tube to make the shaft longer and the old girl is happy again !! :D Just a temp fix till Im ready to tear it apart. More later. :thumbsup:
Well, if it was like mine, the end is probably worn down......mushroomed.

New slave solved the problem.

No sleeve on mine....rod to fork.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your slave went did the clutch engage near the floor like mine ? I remember it engaged much higher than mine when I drove the PIG 2 years ago.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,354 Posts
Eagerly awaiting answers on this. I don't have a problem right now but???????????
I have ordered all but one of the bushings to rebuild the shifter and linkage and will be pulling it when they arrive. The one I didn't order was $65.00 (retail) so I will wait to make sure I need it.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
All I needed was a little longer rod, so I thru a nut in the tube to make the shaft longer and the old girl is happy again !! :D
I've needed a little longer rod for years, but I never had any desire to throw a nut in a tube to make her happy. :eek:

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eagerly awaiting answers on this. I don't have a problem right now but???????????
I have ordered all but one of the bushings to rebuild the shifter and linkage and will be pulling it when they arrive. The one I didn't order was $65.00 (retail) so I will wait to make sure I need it.
When I spoke to Jon at the CC he recommended just the bushings on the shifter arms as that seemed to cure all their customer problems. I put the bushings in (reverse on the shift lever was gone the other 2 so-so and the 3 on the tranny itself were fine). Obviously didn't work due to the clutch but with the jury-rigged extension on the rod it's like cutting butter with a hot knife. It was never this smooth.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,354 Posts
The main horizontal rod on the top of my shifter will raise on both sides. Bushings are shot.
Also missing a couple on the lower linkage too so just going to replace all. Most are not expensive. I think there are 11 on the 5 speed. I ordered 10.

·
29,512 Posts
When your slave went did the clutch engage near the floor like mine ? I remember it engaged much higher than mine when I drove the PIG 2 years ago.
A little lower....but there was a grinding feeling on the pedal every time that I pressed down.....the rod tip was mushroomed.
A new slave, release bearing, pilot bearing and bushings on the linkages solved all issues.
I have another set of shifter bushings that I have yet to install as it is working perfectly.
One thing I did do years ago (I can't believe I just said that!) is I cleaned and lubed the actual shifter mechanism. That helped alot, as well.
Wait until you bleed the new slave......I used my home made pressure bleeder cap. At first nothing came out until I depressed the clutch ONCE and then was able to self pressure bleed to my heart's content.
I just bled it recently with new fluid and it was amazing how black the fluid came out that had only been in there for 4 years.

·
29,512 Posts
Is there also a cylinder behind the dash? See attached. #17 is a bleed screw.
Ya.....I left that alone. I didn't feel like pulling the seat to get under there.

I admit it. I skipped a maintenance item.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cylinder is there but a set screw, no bleeder. I still believe it's the clutch because as it wears the realease fork moves aft closer to the slave, so when there is a lot of wear the petal has to pushed further for release. As I stated earlier, the rod is almost in it's full retracted position indicating excessive wear which is why the slight addition of lenght is giving me a temp cure, Also, when you step on the clutch, within the 1" of travel you can hear the faint whine of the throwout bearing engaging, so I don't think it's air. But I'll try it first as it's a hell of a lot easier to bleed than swap.

·
29,512 Posts
Cylinder is there but a set screw, no bleeder. I still believe it's the clutch because as it wears the realease fork moves aft closer to the slave, so when there is a lot of wear the petal has to pushed further for release. As I stated earlier, the rod is almost in it's full retracted position indicating excessive wear which is why the slight addition of lenght is giving me a temp cure, Also, when you step on the clutch, within the 1" of travel you can hear the faint whine of the throwout bearing engaging, so I don't think it's air. But I'll try it first as it's a hell of a lot easier to bleed than swap.
Sorry, Pete. It seems like you are talking about 3 different things at once.

WHAT do you think is worn? The actual clutch?

BTW....Haynes or Chilton is the only publication I have found with a complete breakdown of the mani trani. I'm sure the classic center can help with the info as well. But there is a procedure to measure the clutch material and it involves removing the slave and using that port with a measuring device. I can look it up if you want.

My PO documents show that the clutch was replaced at 106,000 miles. At 146,000 miles when I toon it apart, the machineing marks were still on the clutch plate and there was virtually no material missing from the clutch. That has probably changed with the couple of attempted PIG burnouts.

But depending on the PO and the mileage on your SL, maybe it's time for a re and re.

If you get all the parts together I'll swoop down for a visit and give you a hand. I also have my custom made trani jack adapter I made when I did mine by myself. It was a real chore on my own.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nob, the measuring devise is a small thin blade like a feeler guage with a notch at the end that fits the smaller/thinner section of the slave plunger. It is inserted between the slave and bell-housing thru a shim you install between the two and can be left there for future checks. If there is too much wear and the rod is retracted too much it will not fit over the shaft. The pic in EPC that Rowdie posted does not show this, look at this and see if it makes sense.

slave.jpg

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found this:

Replace clutch slave cylinder and bleed clutch - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Also, Nob, thanks for the offer but I'm working a deal with a friend/indie. He'll do the clutch and swap the sub-frame (the 79 has been welded and the 73 parts car has gussets), I pay for parts and he gets the rest of the 73 (minus all your parts of course).
He has a 74 450sl so he gets a whole running drivetrain for some labor.

·
29,512 Posts
Nob, the measuring devise is a small thin blade like a feeler guage with a notch at the end that fits the smaller/thinner section of the slave plunger. It is inserted between the slave and bell-housing thru a shim you install between the two and can be left there for future checks. If there is too much wear and the rod is retracted too much it will not fit over the shaft. The pic in EPC that Rowdie posted does not show this, look at this and see if it makes sense.

View attachment 464550
Ya...that's it. I didn't remember the all the details. It makes sense that the slave remains installed.

·
29,512 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't post it for the bleed procedure, but I agree, assinine. Kinda like putting an electric motor to wnd a manual clock.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Not having a manual R107 (yet) I don't know how hard they are to bleed, but I can tell you the W123 can be a real PITA. I have had to do it twice with the front caliper to slave method. First time it went well, second time took hours.

There's lots of angst with these, at least on W123s. It's a dismal science....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts