Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 model C230 Kompressor with 109K miles. I live in CA. I don’t drive but 4K miles a year. I’ve had trouble passing the catalytic converter smog check the last 3 times it has been required. The mechanics tell me that I’m not driving enough freeway miles. All other checks of the smog test pass with easy. Any suggestions? I Love this car and it has so few miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently went through getting my daughters 2000 C230K through CA smog just this last summer. This was all before I got a star.

It all started with a check engine light - and replaced the upstream OS sensor with Bosch unit based on the code I pulled with my bluedriver. That cleared the check engine light, now I had secondary O2 pending and cat pending. New air filter, fuel filter. I drove it a couple of hundred miles over a few days, still pending. Time running out on getting it to pass smog so took it so it would have the record of a failed smog which allows you to get a 30 day extension on just the smog part.

Looked around and replaced a total of three air hoses that all looked slightly cracked. Used generic hose from Autozone super low cost. Still pending. Checked all the EVAP hosing to the tank - all ok. Added a couple cans of Sea Foam to a mostly empty tank and filled it with Chevron 91. Drove the tank over a couple of days - still pending. Back to normal Top Tier 91 gas.

I found two different drive cycle procedures that all claimed they will get the pendings cleared. Did them both - no change. That burned another week and almost 200 miles.

Daughter needed her car to get to school and took it. Sent my real cheapo scanner with her after showing her how to check it - two weeks later and 400 miles of driving - still pending.

My son went and met her and exchanged cars, brought hers back. They made a long side trip so 600 more miles of driving - still pending. We are now technically illegal since that 30 day extension is passed.

Replaced the downstream O2 with a new Bosch - no real reason to but I had just replaced both up and downs on a Chevy 2000 suburban which also would not clear pendings and got it to pass, so figured - why not?

Still pending... Drove it another 300 miles over three days.

And they all cleared! Yeah! Couple of weeks later we met her and exchanged cars back.

Since then I picked up one of those Star C5's on alliexpress but have not had a chance to hook it up to her car - but will when she comes home for Christmas. Why C5 instead of C3? Wife has a 2015 C300 that is no longer in warranty (no extended warranty - don't ask...) that is having weird charging issues which I am still working on resolving but that is another tale... However son has a 2003 E320 which that scanner has just about paid for itself in DYI labor savings in clearing those SRS messages he has had since we got that car.

Summary - drive more freeway and you may just need to replace both O2 sensors with new Bosch ones. The CAT monitor is based on the readings between the up and down O2's so...

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It really shouldn’t be this hard. I called the California DMV and was guided to this website and told that going through the drive cycle (very complicated) should get it to pass The Catalytic converter check. I’ll be getting up at 4 am on Saturday to go through the process as listed in the link. Fingers crossed that it works. I repeat: it should be this hard. Makes owning a great old model Mercedes barely worth the trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts