Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read on this board ove the year about AMG egsaust brabus ect... I can never find a place to buy em.

If I went to an eghaust shop and had em make me a custom one would it work just as good? Just pipes back right. Maybe a cat if I want it to quiet it down? I want a deeper sound to my car.

--deathy

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
The 230 doesn't get much deaper in sound. Some of the aftermarket exhaust systems make it sound more like a Honda. Try just having the mid-muffler taken out and replaced with a pipe.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
My 16 valve engine is the basis for the powerplant in the SLK. When the exhaust is opened up it sounds REALLY nasty, believe me you wouldn't like it, it hurts your ears, and it doesn't sound good.
It's a high pitched rap that sounds more like a bad running Formula 1 then a good running Honda.....[:D]
I don't see the blown version sounding a whole lot better.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You may be risking to waste money.

I've tried both the Supersprint exhaust and Brabus exhaust on my 00 230k.

Supersprint www.supersprint.com has a very loud, raspy, high pitched sound like what the others described.

Brabus www.brabus.com gave it a deep, mellow, and a bit louder sound. The brabus one gets louder as the can gets warmer.

Ask LelloSLK, he has the Brabus exhaust. It was perfect for me who didn't want a loud/obnoxious sound but deep growl from the car.

You won't have any kind of idea from a muffler shop how the sound will come out -- that's why I say you may be risking to waste some money.

On the other hand, I just ordered an Eisenmann www.eisenhaus.com exhaust for my M3. It's supposed to sound deep and mellow...so it might be something to look at for your 230k also.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
A custom made exhaust can be as good or better than any of the aftermarket companies. The downside? You really need to do some research on how the various mufflers and resonators flow. Make sure the shop is experienced in building exhausts & uses stainless steel, madrel bent tubing. Of course as others have stated you will not know how your car will sound till you start it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts