Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I took my 300d in for inspection a few weeks ago, and everything but the muffler passed due to rust. He said he'd pass it without any muffler on at all, just a straight pipe would be fine. So before I take it to meineke (i can't do exhausts myself) could anyone tell me if they have experience with this? How loud is the exhaust without a muffler? It can't be much louder than the motor, but still :p Thanks!

Also, since my fogs are both dead, I was considering maybe just buying a set of the rectangle headlights instead of just replacing the fogs. Are these euros? i'm not sure what's what, I'm still a newbie. Could anyone tell me where I could find a set of these? Thanks!

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
I just replaced my exhaust. I went with a single muffler straight out. The old exhaust had holes all along the pipe and mufflers were shot.

The local shop was able to custom fit the pipe and all. $200 out the door.

It is much quieter and she feels a lil peppier too.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
I got a 240D but it can't be that different.. I did mine last week. Wasn't a bad job at all. Mine was all rusted together so I had to put two cuts in the pipe and pry off a section with a crowbar to loosen it up. Other than that, it was just putting new parts on.

I rode my car for the first month and a half with just a resonator (no muffler at all). It's not all that loud, but having one does make it a bit smoother. I would buy some parts online and give it a go. Gotta tear into it to do some learnin. I think you got it!

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I've heard that chain-link fence posts make good exhaust pipes.

That aside, have a look at this thread on headlights as it's full of good stuff: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1248885-headlight-thread.html

I have the early Euro version headlights on my 240D because I like the superior (compared to sealed beams) visibility characteristics of H4 lenses while having the classic "bug-eye" circular look. I got mine with vacuum adjusters:D:cool: on ebay for just a hair over $100 plus whatever the shipping was. That's a steal in most cases but if you pay close attention and watch the listings like a hawk you can get a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've heard that chain-link fence posts make good exhaust pipes.
Haha funny you should mention that... I went to O'reilys auto parts and was looking around and found a 3ft piece of 2.5in galvinzed steel for just 4.99. Technically is exhaust tubing, but it looks like a fence post. :D Needless to say its about damn time for a resonator removal. The rear one is sore on the eyes... :eek:

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
My exhaust is shot especially right at the end of the down pipe where there's a huge crack that makes lots of noise. I'm going to hold off on any major engine, drivetrain, or exhaust work until I can get my hands on a 617 to thrown in.

·
Registered
-1985 300d (champagne/palomino 133k) -1979 300d (dead parts car)
128 Posts
i am the one who used chain-link fence posts to do my exhaust recently. i used two 3-foot pieces of this stuff to make straight runs after eliminating the resonator. i also had to buy two 45 degree turns from oreilly's for about $3/piece. i paid nothing for the fence posts, because my friend had scrap in his yard. the fence posts are of a heavier gauge than OEM or the exhaust pieces o'reilly sells. feels more solid, and i'd think runs quieter too...

i swear i'll get the car up on ramps and post a picture of it installed here before snow falls!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
i am the one who used chain-link fence posts to do my exhaust recently. i used two 3-foot pieces of this stuff to make straight runs after eliminating the resonator. i also had to buy two 45 degree turns from oreilly's for about $3/piece. i paid nothing for the fence posts, because my friend had scrap in his yard. the fence posts are of a heavier gauge than OEM or the exhaust pieces o'reilly sells. feels more solid, and i'd think runs quieter too...

i swear i'll get the car up on ramps and post a picture of it installed here before snow falls!
Did you weld or clamp? My local mom and pap muffler shop said welding galvinized material is poisinous.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbodiesel 212K or so, it doesn't work anymore :-)
216 Posts
eh...saying that welding galvanized steel is poisonous is about 50/50. It's not like it's going to kill you in an instant.

I weld almost daily. Welding galvanized steel gives off a poisonous gas; IF YOU BREATH IT. It's not like a huge fog cloud that'll overtake you no matter how fast you run.

The thing is, be careful. It can hurt you, but if you put on some sort of breathing protection *most serious welders who do it all day in confined spaces do this anyway* it ain't bad at all. Also, no more than you'll be doing wouldn't really hurt you anyway.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to everyone for the input! i think i might go with an $80 rear muffler from autozone and have a shop put it together..does anyone have any experience with meineke? i would do it myself but i have no experience/tools for welding, i'll leave this task to the professionals :D

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
The resonator stops drone at higher engine speeds- the muffler quiets the noise. I removed the muffler and put pipe and a downturn at the end and it sounds and performs better IMHO.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
Alright now I'm confused. Is the rear silencer the muffler, or the resonator? I want to ditch the rear one.
The rear is the muffler, the center is the resonator. Ditch the rear muffler and straight pipe that with a downturned exit. Cost is about $30 for the clamps/pipes from Autozone and worth every penny. Sounds better, and not much louder, with quicker spool up and slightly more power. If you remove the resonator you'll get a annoying drone at certain rpm's.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
When I had mine done I had the resonator removed and just have the rear muffler and the only noise I hear is the engine.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
MB refers to both of them as mufflers, either a rear or central.
See attachments.

When I had the exhaust system redone on the SD, I sent the pipe back to a stock muffler, even at speed, no annoying drone. If you listen to the radio, you may not hear the exhaust note much, if any.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel, 1989 Ford Mustang 5.0
26 Posts
I live in the land of no inspections so I'm not sure how this would go over. When I bought my car it had the original exhaust on it that was completely rusted out at the muffler to the point I had soot on the left rear fender :(. So I took it to the local muffler shop and decided to have just a 3 inch from the turbo back put on. Complete job for only 180, including the stainless tip on the end. I would recommend a turn down instead of the tip though, I spend lots of time cleaning the tip, bumper, and my rear quarter panel in general. But it looks so neat when it's clean. Lol. any how hope this helps

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbodiesel 212K or so, it doesn't work anymore :-)
216 Posts
I live in the land of no inspections so I'm not sure how this would go over. When I bought my car it had the original exhaust on it that was completely rusted out at the muffler to the point I had soot on the left rear fender :(. So I took it to the local muffler shop and decided to have just a 3 inch from the turbo back put on. Complete job for only 180, including the stainless tip on the end. I would recommend a turn down instead of the tip though, I spend lots of time cleaning the tip, bumper, and my rear quarter panel in general. But it looks so neat when it's clean. Lol. any how hope this helps
How is the noise level with straight pipes? Noticed anything different?

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I found this thread rather interesting, due to the fact that I've still got nearly the entire original exhaust system on my coupe. When it's on the rack, it all looks like stainless steel from beneath - except for some rust on the section between the two silencers. The previous owner missed the telltale signs of needing new motor mounts, so I had to replace the Z-pipe about 16 years ago. But other than that, the rest of the exhaust system has been on the car the whole 26 years

//greg//

1 - 20 of 23 Posts