Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ML 320 CDI
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the Muffler (front) on my ML 320 CDI, the dealer gave a really high quote. I am looking for suggestion on other reliable supplier for Mufflers. thanks. :)

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
Theres no such thing as a front muffler. There is a particulate filter. Is that what they are referring to?

·
Registered
2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
478 Posts
I see the same part referred to as both particulate filter and front muffler based on VIN. This should be covered under emissions warranty if you are under 70,000 miles. Check the Emissions warranty section of your manual to be sure. This only applies to US models I believe.

·
Premium Member
'11 ML63, '12 GL350-CDI, '13 S350-CDI, '16 B250e
118 Posts
Muffler vs. Particle Filter

164-490-99-01 is a non-USA part, for vehicles without the particulate filter. It is not available for order in the US - will need to come from Europe if you can get a dealer there to order one for you.

The US part depending on VIN will be something like 164-490-08-92, and can be had for about $3000. As the other poster said, it's an emissions item and covered under a longer warranty than the basic car.

The particle filter is as expensive as it is because like a catalyst, it has lots of high dollar catalytic type materials in it.

If you were to remove it, the vehicle would run just fine, but it would generate more soot than typical, and would probably violate emissions laws in those states which follow California type emissions. Depending on year of make, the particle filter is not required under Federal laws, only the catalysts which are ahead of the filter.

Check the laws - you may be able to legally remove it after a certain mileage or age - in which case replace it with a piece of straight pipe and be done with it.

If you do remove the pipe, make sure you change the controller to know the particle filter is no longer present - your mileage will go up because the filter preheat will be turned off.

·
Registered
2009 ML350, 2002 E320
19 Posts
I see the same part referred to as both particulate filter and front muffler based on VIN. This should be covered under emissions warranty if you are under 70,000 miles. Check the Emissions warranty section of your manual to be sure. This only applies to US models I believe.
I think its 8 years/80k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts