Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced the rubber muffler hanger that is part # 129-493-02-82 along with the rest of the exhaust hangers. While I was under the car the other day I noticed it was missing again. It seems that since all the prongs that it sits on face the same way - it just walked off the mount I guess. After some research online I saw a picture of one of the posts that is internally threaded, and there was a bolt and washer to hold on this mount. Is this correct as I have not noticed this on my 1992 300sl. Waiting for a new one to arrive next week, if there isn't some form of holder for this to keep it in place might have to rig something. Any ideas or pics of the correct way to hold this mount on would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It'd help if you could have included a picture. Those rubber donuts are normally so tight you need a prybar to stretch them onto the hooks.

Have no idea why yours fell off.

Unless possibly there are other areas where the hangers are missing and the exhaust is shaking. Or you have the wrong sized donut. Or the metal prongs are bent down and allowing the donut to slip off.

Normally getting those on is a PITA and once on they stay on until the rubber cracks and breaks from age and use.

·
Outstanding Contributor
880 Posts
The resonator box is held by a rubber hanger. Two circular prongs at top, and one prong at bottom to resonator. One of the prongs at the top has an internal thread. This is for a bolt to hold the rubber hanger on the mounting bracket, stopping it from falling off.

Some guy travelling behind you would have had the pleasure of a free part when yours fell off! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you happen to know the bolt size that threads into the internal thread? Is there a washer or just the head of the bolt holds the rubber hanger in place so I do not donate the next one to the automotive universe following behind me?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in case anyone else is missing this bolt to hold on the rubber hanger - it is an 8mm hex head bold with shoulder to hold this in place. Slip on the hanger and then apply thread locker and install bolt to lock it in place. Wonder how long the original bolt has been missing? Do you notice that over the years the service on these cars gets sloppier and sloppier, unless a great mechanic or you just end up doing it yourself! Quality control is important - do it right the first time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts