Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see anything in the search

Whats your opinion on mud flaps (or whatever else they are called) on a w126?

Just saw a picture (in picture thread) of a w126 with a full set, and I found them strangely appealing.

With all the -more important- aesthetic improvements I still need to make on my car, and the obvious lack of a need for mud flaps, I still feel tempted.

Maybe its the euroness that attracts me, and I understand I might be alone in this, maybe not?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have thought about doing the same sense I have had the whole car repainted. I know when summer comes I will not be in the mood to be out there getting all that tar off the paint. So if you come across where you can get them from let me know.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I noticed about three months back, while I was face-to-face with the rocker panels for a while during front-end rebuilding, that there's a lot of acreage to keep mud & tar-free down there, especially given how the lower body curves inward.

I can see some nice, low-key mud flaps/splash guards doing this car a bunch of good. Believe it or not, the ones which were on our Dodge Intrepid, 1995, which I added after a month in Colorado, were both very unobtrusive, and they were designed by someone who actually took the length of the area which needed to be shielded into account when making them. I appreciate good engineering, regardless of what is being made.

Now, the ones on the Suzuki Grand Vitara which the 420 replaced, I could have improved on those with a knife, a slab of rubber, and a six-pack of beer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have (had) them on all 4 wheels and assumed that everyone had them.
I don't remember seeing an option code for them as extras.
Aren't they integral to keeping the side planks (rocker panels? usa?) tight to the wheel arches etc.
Mine however have corrosion problems with the clamps and I've took them off before they fall off.
It does now spray crap all over the sides and the line of the wheel arches looks wrong.
They will be refitted.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
This proves mud flaps are a BAD idea for W126 like chromed wheel arches

I have (had) them on all 4 wheels and assumed that everyone had them.

Mine however have corrosion problems with the clamps and I've took them off before they fall off.
It does now spray crap all over the sides and the line of the wheel arches looks wrong.
They will be refitted.
Why?

If they have corrosion problems with the clamps, it is MUCH worse to deal with corrosion than mud an crap all over the fenders.

I would forget them. I may be extreme, but I used wet cloth to clean that stuff off the fenders every single time I add petrol to the car!!!

It has worked for me for over a dozen years with the same car, no corrosion anywhere evident.

Danger of rust and corosion, then, would be the reason not to fit chromed wheel arches OR mud flaps to the W126.

The subordinate reason not to fit them on this model, is that they just look SILLY!!!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I wouldn't put any mud flaps on my SEC, especially the larger ones, but if I were to have a stock, dark colored SEL I would surely fit the smaller ones on the rear. The small ones I have seen in person added a bit of curve to the lower line of the car.

I can't possibly imagine how these would be a no-no to the health of your car since there is never metal to metal contact. They simply mount to the rear bumper skin.

gl

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts