Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any W164 owner out there with running boards and oem FRONT mud flaps?

I ordered a 2008 ML 320 with, among others, the above options.
The car arrived w/o the mud flaps but they were ordered by the stealer.
Got the ML in today to have the mudflaps install.
Picked up the car this PM and only the rear flaps were installed.
The stealer said the front flaps won't fit the W164 with running boards and that there are no such flaps available !!!

So I have rear flaps but no front ones ... Doesn't look good !
The stealer offer to remove the rear ones but that would leave holes in the lower body part behind the rear wheel and refuses to change the part !!!

So, anyone out there with front oem flaps and running boards ?
If so, any part number?
I search the net for oem MB flaps but can't find anything specific for w164 with running boards ...

HELP and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The dealer is right , when you install OEM running board you cannot install the front mud flaps. The description of the running boards clearly says cannot combine with mud flaps (Part # B6-6-88-0610)
'Not FOR USE in conjunction with Mud Flaps'

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chint ...

Clearly understand your answer.

But lemme put it differently: The "regular" mud flaps don't fit with the oem running boards but are there oem mud flaps specific for a running board fit ?

For example BMW makes 2 types of front mud flaps for the X5; one for vehicles w/o running boards and one for those with ! ( Been there done that).

If not, I would have another question.
Does anybody have a clue of the proportion of ML sold w/o oem running boards vs those with ?
If only few ML get out of the factory with running boards I would better understand why there are no mud flaps fitting that option ...

Still strange if it is the case.

More disapointing is the fact that my dealer didn't have a clue before installing the rear flaps that the front ones wouldn't fit!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently purchased a Ml 320 CDI W/O running boards and the dealer wants over to 1400 to install (987 + tax + Install) .

I did some research on running board and found out mud flaps and running boards dont go together.I believe the running boards are purely for looks while the mud flaps are very functional if you live in areas where it snows heavily

·
Registered
452 Posts
I ordered my ML and specified flaps instead of running boards. If your salesman got his order approved by the sales manager and you got stuck with the flaps as well as running boards, I'd say you have a claim to get it fixed...meaning either get the holes fixed at dealer expense and keep the boards or send the boards back and install the front flaps. I personally prefer the flaps only and had the same on my last ML.Seems to me that it should have been pointed out by the dealership before it got to this point. They dropped the ball.To answer the second part of the question, i dont think there is a flap available to fit with boards

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had front mudflaps fitted to my ML280CDI when I picked it up. I had the running boards fitted a few weeks ago.

The front mudflaps are now in my shed at home unused...

Unfortunately Mercedes do not make a mudflap suitable for use with running boards.

I have been investigating options for fitting a generic front mudflap - there are some items that appear to fit, but I haven't gotten around to investigatin further yet.

The running boards are indeed very useful - they appear to be quite solidly mounted, and don't flex at all under my 110kg weight. I use them frequently to assist in getting luggage from the roof pod, or when securing my sea kayak to the cross bars.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the running boards installed by myself and don't see the flaps looked good.
Your dealer , not stealer, is honest, I guess. Live in peace and enjoy your CDI, without front flaps for sure. ;)
(I could not get one by that time).

·
Registered
70 Posts
How difficult is to install the running boards?
I am planning to take it to local auto shops to insatll it .

The dealer wants over 400 for installation. I guess that is insane

Any suggestions on the installation .

Thanks

I have the running boards installed by myself and don't see the flaps looked good.
Your dealer , not stealer, is honest, I guess. Live in peace and enjoy your CDI, without front flaps for sure. ;)
(I could not get one by that time).

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I installed mine. It is not all that hard. You only need a basic knowledge of tools and such. It took 1 hour for the first side and 40 minutes for the other side. The kit I ordered was missing both the instructions and the nut/bolt misc parts which the dealer ordered for me. You remove the factory lower rocker panel plastic which is mostly snap on and the putting the running boards into place is then fairly obvious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just picked up an '08 ML320 CDI and got the mudflap kits from the dealer and in reading the directions it calls for the use of "Terostat Cleaning Fluid"?..does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just picked up an '08 ML320 CDI and got the mudflap kits from the dealer and in reading the directions it calls for the use of "Terostat Cleaning Fluid"?..does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

No idea what is in it. I just used a little isopropyl alcohol from CVS instead. It worked fine in removing dirt and wax without damaging the paint. The adhesive tape on the mud flaps is holding on even though I didn't use the official Terostat.

gawdfatha
2007 ML320 CDI (P3 package)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the input....

H

·
Registered
211 Posts
I installed mine. It is not all that hard. You only need a basic knowledge of tools and such. It took 1 hour for the first side and 40 minutes for the other side. The kit I ordered was missing both the instructions and the nut/bolt misc parts which the dealer ordered for me. You remove the factory lower rocker panel plastic which is mostly snap on and the putting the running boards into place is then fairly obvious.
Rick is right.
The best thing is you DON'T need a lift. Impossible since you will have to work right there. The kit goes without instruction, but you can use good guess. Any body shop can do it for few hundreds buck.
Good luck.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts