Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi boys,
I hate to bother you, but my "check engine" light came on today on my way to work. I just got back home and my car drives fine and i don't hear any weird noise. I will make an appt. with the dealer tomorrow, is there anything i should know before i go in there? I am not too fond of mechanics.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
juancpath - 5/13/2005 5:35 PM

100 bucks they tell you is your Air mass sensor.
Wow! You seem very sure that the CEL coming on under tohose conditions is only caused by the MAF going out?

Reason I'm asking is I have the same issue and went to AutoZone and they diagnosed 3 of my 4 O2 sensors being bad? Car run fine though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You guys know that the CEL is only a way of telling you that your emmision system is not working properly. Most of the time you can drive your car with no problem, I have hear of O2 sensonrs going bad beacuse people used 87 octane gas in their cars, but besides that, and O2 sensor is much more reliable than a MAS. I still have my 100 bucks on that... any takers?
[^]

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,
Thank you for your replies. At least now I have some knowledge on the subject. I droped off the car this morning. They should call me letting me know what is wrong with it. Juancpath... I hope you are right, i would hate for you loosing $100 [;)]

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
juancpath - 5/14/2005 10:00 AM

You guys know that the CEL is only a way of telling you that your emmision system is not working properly. Most of the time you can drive your car with no problem, I have hear of O2 sensonrs going bad beacuse people used 87 octane gas in their cars, but besides that, and O2 sensor is much more reliable than a MAS. I still have my 100 bucks on that... any takers?
[^]
Ummm I ONLY ever fill up with 93 octane so I don't think my O2 sensors would be bad from just that. So I'm going to order a new MAS or as some people call it MAF and we'll see. $100 bucks huh?

·
Registered
215 Posts
grantwTXCLK - 5/12/2005 11:49 AM

[^]
Ummm I ONLY ever fill up with 93 octane so I don't think my O2 sensors would be bad from just that. So I'm going to order a new MAS or as some people call it MAF and we'll see. $100 bucks huh?[/QUOTE]

Saddly enough, a Mas Air Flow Sensor will run you about 299.00. unless you get it on ebay. About youe O2 sensors, if the Autozon guys' computer diagnosed that, i would go with them... of all the systmes in your car, the emmision's is really easy to troubleshoot.... Yes, 100 bucks

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
grantwTXCLK, what codes did Autozone pull?

Also, I know a place where you can get an OEM 430 MAF sensor for $120, but it'll cost you $100 for the information. :)

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer just left me a voice mail... my air mass sensor is faulty. Juancpath even nailed the price of the part, 299.00! plus labor. You guys are great I will let my other girlfriend know about this site. [;)]

Kathy

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
KVidal - 5/12/2005 1:59 PM

The dealer just left me a voice mail... my air mass sensor is faulty. Juancpath even nailed the price of the part, 299.00! plus labor. You guys are great I will let my other girlfriend know about this site. [;)]

Kathy
You can buy them for $220 online and install it yourself...it's litterly a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
str8ridin - 5/14/2005 12:58 PM

grantwTXCLK, what codes did Autozone pull?

Also, I know a place where you can get an OEM 430 MAF sensor for $120, but it'll cost you $100 for the information. :)
I don't have the information here right now but if I recall it was 160, 161 and 170 which are all O2 sensor codes from different banks....

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
str8ridin - 5/14/2005 12:58 PM

I'm waiting for your PM for where I can get 1 for $120... [8)]

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
LinH, www.alloemautoparts.com or autopartswharehouse.com

Grant, if you had P0170 & P0173, those two codes will do two things: Set off another codem usually an O2 sensor and trick those dumbass people at autozone who have never seen a Mercedes think it's O2 sensors.

It's your MAF sensor.

As far as the $120 MAF, I said it will cost you %$100 for the information, which makes it $220, and I just gave the information for for free above. :)

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
str8ridin - 5/15/2005 10:17 AM

LinH, www.alloemautoparts.com or autopartswharehouse.com

Grant, if you had P0170 & P0173, those two codes will do two things: Set off another codem usually an O2 sensor and trick those dumbass people at autozone who have never seen a Mercedes think it's O2 sensors.

It's your MAF sensor.

As far as the $120 MAF, I said it will cost you %$100 for the information, which makes it $220, and I just gave the information for for free above. :)
Thanks! I did find one on e-bay for $203 shipped so I went ahead and ordered one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts