Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to thank our TURBO CLEANER Mr. Arthur Jaime :thumbsup: located in Taguig a small city in the Philippines for allowing me to share how you can clean your turbo and intake manifold to bring back the power from your 617 TURBO DIESEL engine in the w126 300SD or w123 300D.

By the way do this at your own risk :D

First here is Mr. Arthur Jaime he is a car nut since he was a kid and so far he have experience how to clean turbo of Pajero, Delica and 617 trubo diesel. He had cleaned 4 units of 617 so far and all are very happy.

Second you need about 8 hrs labor or more to do this and do it while the engine is cold and it's a very dirty job.

Here are the tools you need for the job.

1. No 6 Allen screw
2. Screw Driver
3. no. 10 box wrench
4. 11mm box wrench
5. 12 & 14 box wrench
6. no. 13 combination wrench
7. no. 13 box wrench with the other side saw off (this is your special tool hehehe)
8. no. 17 combination wrench
9. DEEP socket number 14
10. Your whole set of sockets as I'm not sure which is needed.
11. Air compressor
12. High temp silicon rubber gasket maker
13. Copper or brass brush (small ones)

Look for a thread here on how you can take out your air cleaner and the pipes up to the turbo. ( Pat can you find a link ) also you need to take out the exhaust pipe that is connected to the turbo.

Unscrew the 2 Allen on top that mounts the oil lubrication line to the turbo

Unscrew the 2 Allen that is located below the turbo that mounts the oil lubrication line

Unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold

Pull the whole turbo assemble towards the wheel well

Find a clean working area to lay down your turbo assembly and take this part out

Unscrew this 6 bolts that holds the housing from the air cleaner inlet side and there is a hose that is plug from this housing to the lower part remove this as well

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remove the housing to expose the turbo blades

Use the box wrench number 10 on one side and 14 deep socket on the other side and loosen the screw that holds on the exposed turbo blades.

Remove the exposed turbo blades be careful this thing is fragile!!!

Unscrew the four bolts that hold this part.

I don't know what it's called just take it out :D but be careful and do it slowly you will see something behind it like a "C" and a bearing spacer of some sort make sure you do remember how to put it back later on.

Pull this out.

This place pointed will be full of carbons the photo here are semi-cleaned already

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This place pointed will be full of carbons the photo here are semi-cleaned already

You will see this small pipe connected to the turbo and tail pipe I think it's going to be carbons on this part so take it out first.

Use a brass brush to clean the blades of the turbo in the exhaust manifold side you will find many carbons in this part of the turbo especially in the housing.

Clean the areas where the oil lubrication is connected you can plug the whole screw driver in it on both sides.

Clean this part it’s where the hose is connected to the housing of the turbo I think it's called WASTEGATE.

Here I think is what they call an EGR valve (correct me if I'm wrong) remove the 2 Allens that connects it to the air intake manifold be careful not to destroy the gasket. ( Get a new one since you have lots of this in USA )

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unscrew the bolts that attach the air intake manifold

Unscrew and take out the plate that covers the EGR valve.

Unscrew the banjo bolt and the bolt that holds the ATF filling tube.

Pull out the whole intake manifold it's going to be one dirty intake manifold so clean it well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unscrew the bolt that clamps the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold side to take out the EGR and clean it.

CLEAN, CLEAN AND CLEAN ALL THE CARBONS AND OILS OUT

Put everything back in reverse and apply high temp silicon rubber gasket maker on the following:

This is a sample of High temp silicon rubber gasket maker

Apply high temp silicon rubber gasket maker in the Intake manifold in between the engine.

Apply high temp silicon rubber gasket maker on the square washer plate in between the Turbo and the exhaust manifold make sure both sides.

Apply high temp silicon rubber gasket maker on the gasket in between the EGR valve connecting the intake manifold on both sides.

Now good luck and don't blame me if something goes wrong since I put on 3.5 hrs just to upload the photos but if you do it correctly I guarantee you that you'll be happy with the added power.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
ummm.. after disassembling the turbo, you would be smart to have it balanced. and use aircraft grade (green) loctite on the compressor/turbine bolts, aswell as the turbine flange bolts. they will rattle loose very easily, especially if the turbo isn't meticulously balanced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or one can just pull down the turbo assembly with the intake manifold and clean it without removing the blades so that no balancing would be needed.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,396 Posts
America being the fourth Continent I live on, I know that the resources we take for granted here, may be difficult to come by in other places.
Thanks for the thread rebel_mtc.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,396 Posts
rebel_mtc, Congrats to your car and welcome to the forum.

Mercedes Benz at www.mbusa.com used to sell the official 2 CD service manual for $ 20. Unfortunately it is not being offered at the present time.
We hope it's only temporary.

You can check the DIY thread above, or type your question into the 'search this forum' box on the top right. It will get you all archived post re. your problem.

You might try the Russian MB site. Don't put in a mod. or vin, click on cars and scroll down, until you get to yours: Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,349 Posts
Wow!!

That is awesome!

Amazing job on the pictures, I don't think you've left any details out!

- Steve

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Thanks Mr. Arthur Jaime and rebel_mtc for an interesting read :thumbsup:

I spent time in Java last year was amazed at the skills and ingenuity of people from places like the Philippines and other countries without our home workshops and garages.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just hope somebody will benefit on this cleaning procedure.

If you haven't done such you'll be amaze by how much carbons you can remove and how much power you can gain back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Arthur just told me that there is a need to use high temp LOCTITE on the screw that holds the blades during assembly.

So please don't forget this.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEL BLACK ON BLACK
292 Posts
Very Nice Diy Even Think I Could Do It, We Need More Diy Threads With The Detail You Showed

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the compliment let me know once you have done it and what difference you get after cleaning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts