Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 C230K that does 250 miles on a full tank, i.e 60 litres. That is about 18 miles per gallon. I'm just wondering if this is normal. If not, what should I be having checked.

I'm grateful for your time, all of you!:)

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Not normal at all. I get about 325-350 miles before I fill up.

I get at the very least 24mpg. I wouldn't even get 18mpg in my 300CE. That's more like what I get in my Silverado.

How hard are you driving? Do you do all city driving? Are you using premium fuel?

When was the last oil change and are you using the correct synthetic oil?

I run a bottle of techron thru once every couple of months to keep things clean... my dealer told me to do this. I also run Chevron/Texaco gas all the time.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
That's not good, I can get that kind of milage in my ML320 with big tires if I keep my foot out of the throttle.
#1 check your tire air pressure
#2 check your air cleaner
#3 are you carrying around a bunch of "stuff" in your car
#4 when was the last time your car was tuned up?
#5 how do you drive, fast driving eats fuel even in 4 cylinder cars.

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
WOW, i feel really good!! I get 450 miles to a tank in my c220!! :D

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
reveal your secret!!!

I know that not having a supercharger probably helps a little. I try to keep the A/C compressor off most of the time... but then again, a lot of my driving is in stop and go traffic, so that contributes a lot to my consumption.

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
...but the 450 miles is non-stop highway driving, not city.... thats a bit lower.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
8ball said:
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 C230K that does 250 miles on a full tank, i.e 60 litres. That is about 18 miles per gallon. I'm just wondering if this is normal. If not, what should I be having checked.

I have the exact same one;
I get here locally in Florida approximately:
25MPG City/Local Driving
30MPG Autobahn/Highway Driving

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
If all of your tune-up/regular maintenance items have been dealt with (plugs, air filter, fuel filter) and your tire pressures are set properly I'd start looking at your mass airflow sensor.

·
Registered
E220 Coupe
94 Posts
18mps is quite low indeed

I also have a 230k and it does at least 25 around town and country and more on motorways.

How heavy is your right foot?

·
Registered
2000 C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8ball said:

Thanks guys for your useful insights. I have done all the regular maintenance stuff, i.e. changed oil, plugs and filters. I use fully synthetic oil, and shell V-power. I figured I should run a diagnostic test, and it turns out my check engine light was indicating what the mechanic says is "self adaptation". Apparently the CEL bulb was out so I didn’t notice. The code was cleared but it has reappeared after one day. Does anyone have any idea how I could solve this problem?

PS. My right foot is quite eager, but not heavy at all!!

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
What was the code? Go to the parts store and ask them to use their scanner if you don't remember.

·
Registered
2000 C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mechanic reckons the high mpg is due to my catalytic converter, which he says I should change. Any experiences in this regard, anyone?

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Look at your mass airflow sensor. I made this suggestion before you pulled codes, and the codes you pulled support that suggestion. You can do this yourself. It is as easy to replace as an air filter. No tools required, just your hands and about 5 minutes time.

If it is your catalytic converter then go back to MB. Your cc should still be under the original factory emissions component warranty. Don't pay your mechanic for this. Has he suggested why he thinks it is the cc? Or is he just guessing, despite what the codes say?

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
The 2000 C230K comes with a 62 liters tank with 8 liters reserve. The fuel consumption in 1/100 Km is 13.8 Urban Cycle - 7.4 Extra Urban and 10.0 Combined. These figures was tested using a 68 kg driver.

Eddie

·
Registered
2000 C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I took the Mech on about the cat and after a thorough check, he confirms that it is faultless. I changed the MAF sensor like you advised but the light is still on. What baffles me (and I think the Mech) is that the car doesnt hesitate on acceleration, and drives fine. Now that I've eliminated the cat and the MAF, what else could the problem be? I've been using my brother's bemer whilst he was on holiday abroad, and I'm not looking forward to going back to my gas guzzler!!!

:confused: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2000 C230K
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:crybaby2: SOMEONE PLEAAASE HELP?? :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
E220 Coupe
94 Posts
I get about 30mpg and that is doing alot of town driving so 18 really doesn't sound right but it depeds how you drive the thing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts