Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my dealer, there has been an official (to them) notification, from MB Greece, stating that as from this May/June and on, the CD changer will come fitted with MP3 decoder, hence allowing all head units to playback MP3s (as long as they are fitted with the disc changer option, of course).
That's good news!!
Has any of you heard anything regarding this matter?

·
Registered
SLK350 w/AMG SP; 2008 C300
75 Posts
Hmmmm, wonder if I will be able to swap mine out at a reasonable price??

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Our car has always had the option of the MP3 capable CD changer - it was just never offered as available to all markets. Our audio system is identical to the one in the W211 E Class and thus can use the MP3 capable changer which has been avaialable for quite a while now.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Can we order this? Does it have a part number? I would much rather spring for this now than buy the old one and change back again? Your help would be appreciated [:(]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
I thought MP3's play in the 350's normally.

OR>> is this only the case if a cd is put in the front on the unit and NOT in the changer?

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
da_nailgun - 5/14/2005 3:53 AM

OR>> is this only the case if a cd is put in the front on the unit and NOT in the changer?
I've been meaning to try it. I don't have the changer -- decided I wanted a glove compartment instead -- but would be delighted to be able to stuff a hundred songs in the front unit and drive for hours.

I hope it works but won't be surprised if it doesn't ...

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Yup you can indeed purchase a CD Changer that can play mp3's!!!

I've spoken with my Parts department about it, and they've not done if for any SLK's yet, but it has been done on C Class's without issue - and the mp3 details are displayed in the radio head unit (not sure about the dashboard)

I don't get my car for another 3 weeks, 1 day and 20 hours (not that I'm counting!!!) [:D] But it will be getting the CD Changer installed the week after so will let you know whether it is any good!!! I'll also try to find out the part number at the same time!!! [:)]

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
RonJeffries - 5/14/2005 11:28 AM
I've been meaning to try it. I don't have the changer -- decided I wanted a glove compartment instead -- but would be delighted to be able to stuff a hundred songs in the front unit and drive for hours.
If you have COMAND you can get 1,000 songs on a single DVD, or is that not the case in US models? I didn't bother with the CD changer for that reason (plus it takes up the whole glove compartment which is really inconvenient).

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
steve-p - 5/14/2005 11:23 AM

If you have COMAND you can get 1,000 songs on a single DVD, or is that not the case in US models? I didn't bother with the CD changer for that reason (plus it takes up the whole glove compartment which is really inconvenient).
I didn't get COMAND. My pal and salesman talked me out of it. I suppose for the price, playing MP3 isn't actually worth it, but it would be nice.

I guess I'm doomed, though I suppose I should throw an MP3 CD in the front drive just to see what happens.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
da_nailgun - 5/13/2005 12:53 AM

On current U.S. models the center unit will play .MP3 or .CDA files (CDA files will only show Track Numbers, not titles). The CD Changer will display "CD # error" on the screen when loading MP3-type CDs.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/14/2005 12:25 PM

On current U.S. models the center unit will play .MP3 or .CDA files (CDA files will only show Track Numbers, not titles). The CD Changer will display "CD # error" on the screen when loading MP3-type CDs.
I just cut two data CDs containing MP3s. One had the files in sub-folders, one did not. Both will read on my PC.

Neither one will play in my SLK350 with plain vanilla radio / CD, no COMAND, no changer.

I guess I'm SOL.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
RonJeffries - 5/14/2005 1:21 PM
I just cut two data CDs containing MP3s. One had the files in sub-folders, one did not. Both will read on my PC.

Neither one will play in my SLK350 with plain vanilla radio / CD, no COMAND, no changer.

I guess I'm SOL.
Sorry about that Ron. The COMAND manual specifically calls it "The COMAND CD drive" and if the CD is an MP3 CD, the system switches to MP3 mode. I don't think there is any reference at all to MP3s in the standard Operator Manual, so it must be COMAND or nothing.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
beverage - 5/14/2005 10:52 AM

Yup you can indeed purchase a CD Changer that can play mp3's!!!
Of course the question would be why??? If you can burn MP3s onto a DVD that will play, at 4.7GB, 1342 songs. At 3 mins each, that's 67 hours of music. No need for CDs in a changer.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I know that all of you would rather have the glovebox to use, but it would be filld up with CDs any way if you do not have MP3 capabilty For this reason, I would be happier with a changer that can play MP3s, at least I would not have loose CD boxes make rattling noises in the glovebox.

Incidently, does any one have a part number for the changer that plays MP3s?

Regards.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/14/2005 8:02 PM

Sorry about that Ron. The COMAND manual specifically calls it "The COMAND CD drive" and if the CD is an MP3 CD, the system switches to MP3 mode. I don't think there is any reference at all to MP3s in the standard Operator Manual, so it must be COMAND or nothing.
So does that mean that even if I added in an MP3-capable changer, I still couldn't play MP3s? Or does it mean that an MP3-capable changer back in the trunk, loaded with a billion tunes, might be the answer?

Hmm ...

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I believe that when and if a part number becomes available from MB, we can buy the MP3 capable changer and not worry about the iPOD interface. The decoder chip should be in the CD changer and you should be able to play MP3s on your "regular" MB radio, or at least I hope so [:eek:)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts