Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just bought a 2006 r350 with the entertainment option and the HK logic 7 radio. The CD behind the screen plays mp3 and shows track name on the screen and the instrument display. I burned the mp3 with musicmatch plus software 8.2, and I included album art, etc in the burn. I only loaded 88 tracks in one folder, but the manual states it will hold 255 folders. Next I'll need to try it in the 6 cd changer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
qkslvr said:
We just bought a 2006 r350 with the entertainment option and the HK logic 7 radio. The CD behind the screen plays mp3 and shows track name on the screen and the instrument display. I burned the mp3 with musicmatch plus software 8.2, and I included album art, etc in the burn. I only loaded 88 tracks in one folder, but the manual states it will hold 255 folders. Next I'll need to try it in the 6 cd changer.
Try leaving out the album art.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Guys,
I do not have a Command in our B200 Turbo we have only the Harman Kardon option 7.1 it plays MP3 only from the CD Changer but no info about songs.
I try all options describe in the manual but the CD changer should switch to MP3 mode but it does not. It always show CD mode and plays MP3 but no MP3 mode.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The manual shows that it should switch to MP3 mode and I should see it even on the dashboard. but so far only track 1 -99 that all I got.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Burning Music DVDs

Hello,
I am fairly new to the SLK350 US spec, but read through many posts on the topic.

I've burned Music DVDs for my '05 SLK350 Command, but have had issues with DVD-Rs. The best working for me have been the DVD+R.

With the DVD-R, the drive sometimes just sits there reading the data off the disc with no music.

Not sure if anyone has posted this before. But if you are having issues with DVD-Rs, try using DVD+R

Still have to get some DVD+R DL and test out the 8.5gigs of music :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Know nothing about electronics. But pass this on for what it's worth in the hope someone technical will comment or put it on the correct thread if this is in the wrong place.
I told my Merc dealer that I had read many people having problems playing music CD's they had made themselves on home computers. He said they often won't play in the DVD slot on the Command unit but they normally will play if put in the 6 CD changer. Anyone found this to be true??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help me please! - are there any european SLK owners out there with the 6-CD changer without COMAND that can listen to MP3s?

mErio said:
I own a European-spec SLK 350 registered in early 2005 with the Audio 50 APS and 6 CD-changer unit. Supposedly it can play my MP3 CDs, however I've had no luck at all with it. My local dealer in Milan says it should and claims that the problem is linked to my home-made CDs. We tried one of my MP3 CDs in some COMAND APS equiped models (including an SLK) and it worked fine. The same CD also worked in an aftermarket Panasonic MP3 unit I used to have in another car 3 years ago. Perhaps the CD changer reader in the Benz is particularly finicky[?]. The dealer naturally had no test CDs though he claimed to have it on his to-do list.

Another piece of bad news was that the 350 euro iPod adaptor is not available for the Audio-20/Audio-50 equiped SLK, only COMAND ones[:(!]. This was not the case for newer models like the B-class. So that option is out of the question for me.

Anyone here have a pre-2006 SLK 350 in Europe without COMAND and has succeeded in listening to MP3s using the 6-CD changer? If yes, then there is hope for me yet. Any tips would also be welcome, I've already combed through this entire posting on more than occasion.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my A class with the Audio 20 unit. Head unit doesn't play MP3 CDs, but the dealer let me try in every other demo car he had. So here's my list of what does and doesn't work from my tests today:

Audio 20 head unit: No.
Audio 20 CDC: Yes.
Audio 50 head unit: Yes.
Audio 50 CDC: Yes.
COMAND APS: Yes (in CD slot).
COMAND APS CDC: Yes.

So for me it looks like I'll be buying the CDC for my Audio 20. Of course 6 x MP3 cds = approx 36 albums!

·
Registered
1 Posts
homemade CDs

My basic MB 10 cd player plays regular CDs perfectly. If I try to play a homemade CD, weird things happen. Sometimes (certain brands of blank CDs, slow burning speeds) it works almost OK, but if burnt in standard mode (Nero at maximum speed, regular blank CDs) it doesn't play them at all and the display reads ERROR. There are intermediate situations in which some days the CD is read, somedays not (!!). A couple of colleages at work own MB and they have no problem reading my CDs in their equipment.

My local dealer, says that MB knows that certain audio units have my problem but, as it only happens with non-commercial CDs, if I want to get it repaired it won't be covered under the car's warranty. I feel abused. The audio player cost 590 euros (plus instalation workmanship). For that price tag there are many, many audio/entertaiment systems in the market.

Anybody got the same problem or a solution?
Thanks in advance

P.S. The car is a '05 ML 270 CDI

·
Registered
5 Posts
gpit said:
Our brand new E280 was delivered 3 days ago, so now the beloved W202 C180 has a mate......Over a number of years the sales+service people at our local have been unfaulted, but on Friday the sales rep astonished me by strongly recommending that we do not used "burned" CD's (to use his phrase) in the in-dash 6-stacker or the single-slot.

Claimed that the sometimes poor QC of blank CD's resulted in the ever-so-slightly thicker ones jamming occasionally, as the auto audio systems had narrower tolerances in the CD carrier.

Hard to believe that this could be an issue. I have a fair share of import jazz cds (Japan) and not once, in all the years I've owned the '99 S420, have I placed an original cd in the stacked changer for fear of scratches, etc and have only used cd-r copies of said cds. Zero problems on that front. One can only imagine what type/brand of cd-rs they're referring to? Maybe some knock-off from Mongolia that looks and feels like a waffle? ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
According to my handbook the only ones that jam are the double sided ones. perhaps he's mixing up with this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 ML500 and mp3's

This has been a great thread, and has convinced me that I'm not going crazy. (Well, at least when it comes to my ML and mp3's!)

By reading all the threads, it's interesting to see the various problems we have with our CD players and mp3's. My in-dash unit won't play data/mp3's regardless of what I do: remove ID3 tags, burn a CD as a data CD, burn a CD as a mp3 CD, burn a CD using Sonic, burn a CD using Musicmatch...... The owner's manual says it should play mp3's.

But the CD changer in the glove compartment plays all of these like champ, with or without ID3 tags. No problemo.

Ain't technology wonderful!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have the same problem with a late 90's Audiovox changer installed in a Ford Taurus with a magic electronic cable that converts Ford to Audiovox commands. There are two problems:

1. The technology of a storebought CD and one you make is actually very different although they look similar. The "jitter" and reflectivity characteristics of CD-R's is greater and less, respectively. My unit will play just about any CD-ROM, but will fail to read the last few tracks of CD-R's in the summer only. Why? Because the laser is infrared, and the higher temperature in the trunk must make the difference between a 1 and a 0 too marginal to be reliably read.

There are adjustment pots in almost any CD reading mechanism but adjust them at your own peril! I generally know what I'm doing and I haven't touched these.

2. Modern units will read just about anything of any format you throw into it. Mine is extremely picky and will work ONLY if:

0. JAPANESE made disks only (Sony/Maxell = very good).
1. Recorded at SLOW speed.
2. Disk MUST be "closed" after the session.
3. For absolutely unknown reasons, using the "JUSTLINK" option helps a lot, although my machine is more than fast enough to burn without a "skip".
4. Do not overburn (do not go over the original 74 minute standard).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guest said:
I spent lots of time and wasted loads of CD's, but I think I now know exactly what should be done to burn an MP3 CD that the COMAND system will accept. Thought I would share my experience.

1. When you first rip your music, do so at a bit rate of at least 128kps. I use 160kps. I believe the COMAND will recognize up to 320kps. Anything less will not give your good music quality and, if you have LOGIC7, may not work properly, as per the COMAND manual.

2. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ALL ID3 TAGS! I've burned several MP3 songs that played well on my computer and other players but would not function in my car. Finally came to the conclusion that those ID3 tags (information such as artist, track number, music genre, album artwork, etc.) sometimes confuse the system and the song will not play. Worse yet, some songs with ID3's caused the unit to freeze up. You can find some great freeware programs to remove those tags. I use this freeware program (http://www.marre.org/id3remover/) for my Windows XP machine. I'm sure there are many others out there that will perform this task. Do a Google search.

3. Once you have your music files cleaned of ID3 tags, arrange them in folders. I like to put folders of the artist's name in the root directory and put their music inside. This is a personal preference. You can of course name folders by music type, mood, etc. Use your imagination. Just remember that there is a limit to the number of folders that COMAND will recognize. My manual says 255 songs or folders in the root directory and 255 songs or folders in each folder. I have seen some postings where only 32 or 99 folders are recognized. Your system may vary. My system (2006 SLK COMAND) recognizes the 255 as stated.

4. Burn your CD's as Data files. MP3 CD's that I've burned in the music mode (i.e. as an MP3 music CD) have occasionally given me problems. I use Roxio's Toast and you have the choice of burning as a data disk or a music disk - use the data disk option. Your computer by default will probably burn your files as pure data, but it might be 'smart' enough to recognize .mp3 as music and may automatically make a music CD. Try to turn this option off.

5. Burn at a slow rate. When you choose the burn speed, don't use "Maximum Possible". This is a general rule of thumb to maximize accuracy in burning. I'm not sure that it is necessary in this situation, but I do it anyway.

That's it. By the way, the above works if you are burning a CD or, in some COMAND units, a DVD. My system recognizes DVD's even though I don't have NAV. This allows for A LOT of music on one disk. The rules are the same for both regular CD's (about 700 Mb) and DVD's (over 4 Gig).

Hope the above is helpful.
HEY people!!! i found the right soloution for the commands in benz to play MP3's!!! use iTunes to burn them!!! dont use Nero or Realplayer or any other program I GARANTEEEEEEEE that!!!! i have E320 2005 AMG PKG n it worked!!!

msg me if anything on [email protected]

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am using Windows XP to burn the CD's as a Data disk...but I'm getting no results in my G500 with COMAND and my C320 without COMAND....what am I doing wrong?

Any specific ways you know that Windows can burn CDs at a slow speed?

Thanks for your guide though...its very helpful.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
mdvijay said:
I am using Windows XP to burn the CD's as a Data disk...but I'm getting no results in my G500 with COMAND and my C320 without COMAND....what am I doing wrong?

Any specific ways you know that Windows can burn CDs at a slow speed?

Thanks for your guide though...its very helpful.
The problem may not be with how you burn your songs. Your vehicles may not be equipped to play MP3's. I know that my wife's 03 C320 without COMAND can not play MP3's. That may be the case with your G500 too. In that case, no matter how you burn your CD's, they won't play if your sound system doesn't have the software or hardware for playback.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
noregret4life said:
Hello,
I am fairly new to the SLK350 US spec, but read through many posts on the topic.

I've burned Music DVDs for my '05 SLK350 Command, but have had issues with DVD-Rs. The best working for me have been the DVD+R.

With the DVD-R, the drive sometimes just sits there reading the data off the disc with no music.

Not sure if anyone has posted this before. But if you are having issues with DVD-Rs, try using DVD+R

Still have to get some DVD+R DL and test out the 8.5gigs of music :)
Hi, have you already tried DL DVDs, or anybody else? I've had no problems with DVD+R or +RW discs on my W221, video or audio (MP3). I mostly use Imation discs, I have not even tried -R format discs.

Just realised one of my music video DVDs is a dual layer disc that too plays perfectly on the car DVD drive. I thought I'd make a backup disc, I normally take backup copies to the car to save the originals from scratches.

Tried a Maxell DL DVD+R disc, actually had not tried DL discs before. It mostly plays OK but does not play the first song of the DVD at all really. I wonder if I should try other disc types. This Maxell disc is a bit odd, from the disc cover I read it is intended for the EU market but I don't find any DL disc from their European web site. The US site has some but don't seem to list this product. The odd thing (to me) is that this disc does not allow "slow speed burning". It only allows 2.4X, no less, no higher.

Should I try other disc types and expect better compatibility.

By the way, with the DVD MP3 support, and the PCMCIA slot in the car, I don't miss the Ipod interface at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Diesel Benz said:
Hi, have you already tried DL DVDs, or anybody else? I've had no problems with DVD+R or +RW discs on my W221, video or audio (MP3). I mostly use Imation discs, I have not even tried -R format discs.

Just realised one of my music video DVDs is a dual layer disc that too plays perfectly on the car DVD drive. I thought I'd make a backup disc, I normally take backup copies to the car to save the originals from scratches.

Tried a Maxell DL DVD+R disc, actually had not tried DL discs before. It mostly plays OK but does not play the first song of the DVD at all really. I wonder if I should try other disc types. This Maxell disc is a bit odd, from the disc cover I read it is intended for the EU market but I don't find any DL disc from their European web site. The US site has some but don't seem to list this product. The odd thing (to me) is that this disc does not allow "slow speed burning". It only allows 2.4X, no less, no higher.

Should I try other disc types and expect better compatibility.

By the way, with the DVD MP3 support, and the PCMCIA slot in the car, I don't miss the Ipod interface at all.
You have a PCMCIA slot in your car? Where is it? Is it just for music?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
gmabli said:
You have a PCMCIA slot in your car? Where is it? Is it just for music?
On a W221 car slot appears as shown in the attached figure (the figure is for a car without a DVD changer).

I'm using it with a Compact Flash memory, those are cheap at high gigabytes. Might try a micro drive too but basically any memory card that can be attached to the PCMCIA interface (with or without an adapter) should be fine.

It is only for MP3 music (at least on the current W221).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just another one...I've tried to burn 'as data disc' to dvd, creating new folders and dropping my tracks as required. However, these discs don't work on any of my stand-alone players? I don't get my car until June 07 and impatience is getting the better of me!
Can you just let me know whether the discs will only work when used in the COMMAND or should they work in standard domestic dvd players too (for testing)
Regards,

81 - 100 of 211 Posts
About this Discussion
210 Replies
100 Participants
Chief2505
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing