Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any way to make the song titles show up if my stereo does not play MP3's? I.E buringing my own .cda format (all I get is "TRACK 1", "TRACK 2" on my HUD)

·
Registered
900 Posts
ponzese - 10/1/2005 7:27 AM
Can you please be more specific abouth i tune burning cd/dvd:
When you play bach in the car are you able to scroll from one folder to other folder, or all 100 songs are in order say from one to 100 in the same one folder.
I see on my playback screan the folder name with arrow on both side but there is no functions all my songs are in the order i have burned, i thing i burned wrong, if so can you be more specific how do Ican burn cd 's an same disk but in more than one folder . Thanks in advance.
Sorry for my bad Inglish writing.
Provided you set iTunes to sort by album, then you get one folder per album.

It is possible to move between folders in two different ways. There are four cursor buttons. Up and down change tracks (as do the up/down on the steering wheel), and left and right change folders. And there is a soft button marked 'folder', which shows all the folders in a vertical list, and you can scroll up and down to pick one, then press OK to select it. Additionally, you can random play tracks in a folder, or tracks from any folder. Or you can just listen to one folder at a time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Atoche - 11/13/2005 11:29 PM

Any way to make the song titles show up if my stereo does not play MP3's? I.E buringing my own .cda format (all I get is "TRACK 1", "TRACK 2" on my HUD)
That depends if the drive and the software you are burning with support CD Text, and also if the drive in the car supports it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2006 SLK 350 and my system will only recognize up to 99 tracks.

The manual also states this too - see page 222.

I also have no way of navigating folders as all my tracks whether in folders or not show up as if they were in the same directory when CDs are played back.

So, what is the difference in your setup that you can aces 255 songs, navigate and use folders, etc.

Also where are you placing the DVD with MP3s, in the 6-disc changer or elsewhere?

I have premium sound package in my SLK.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
drosen - 12/8/2005 10:22 AM

I have a 2006 SLK 350 and my system will only recognize up to 99 tracks.

The manual also states this too - see page 222.

I also have no way of navigating folders as all my tracks whether in folders or not show up as if they were in the same directory when CDs are played back.

So, what is the difference in your setup that you can aces 255 songs, navigate and use folders, etc.

Also where are you placing the DVD with MP3s, in the 6-disc changer or elsewhere?

I have premium sound package in my SLK.

Thanks
You probably don't have COMAND. My premium system, with COMAND, loads the CD right in the dash. I don't have the 6 CD changer. The COMAND manual, on page 60, states that I can have up to 255 files and/or folders with 255 tracks per folder.

I did see what you are referring to on p. 222 of the car's manual, but for me, that info is superceded by the information in the COMAND manual.

By the way, the info on the tracks and folders is visible on the main screen of the COMAND system.

(How many "COMAND's" did I squeeze in just 3 paragraphs?)[:D]

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car has the 420 Ent. Package which includes COMMAND headunit, Sat Radio, 6-Disc Changer, prewiring for DVD-nav and iPod.

I do have the command system, including a cd slot in the dash and the 6-disc in the trunk. Never tried placing CDs w/ MP3 in the dash, because the manual states that it does not play them.

So, do you have any other ideas?

thanks

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
The "Red Book" standard for CDs only allows for 99 tracks, and also has limitations on time and data. An .mp3 CD will be limited to 99 tracks, even if the time and data limitations are not exceeded.

My COMAND plays .mp3 CDs and .mp3 DVDs in the single CD/DVD slot mounted in the console, behind the COMAND screen.

.mp3 DVDs are not limited to 99 tracks, but to 255 tracks (per folder, I believe; I write to multple folders and have over a thousand tracks on each of 2 DVDs that covers my iTunes collection, and they play very well).

My DVD player also plays the sound track to commercial DVDs; this is useful principally for music DVDs, but the sound is of very high quality.

What I have not been able to do successfully is mix file formats on a DVD - for example, to mix .mp3, AAC, Applel Lossless, and .AIFF and play it successfully. That results in some songs playing, then read errors. What I have not tried on a DVD is recording all .AIFF or all Apple Lossless or AAC to see if they play through. The advantage of that would be higher quality formats than .mp3. Some day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
drosen - 12/9/2005 8:03 AM

My car has the 420 Ent. Package which includes COMMAND headunit, Sat Radio, 6-Disc Changer, prewiring for DVD-nav and iPod.

I do have the command system, including a cd slot in the dash and the 6-disc in the trunk. Never tried placing CDs w/ MP3 in the dash, because the manual states that it does not play them.

So, do you have any other ideas?

thanks
Well, you quoted page 222 of your owner's manual. What does your COMAND (only one 'M') manual say on page 60? If it references 255 tracks or folders as mine does, then maybe you have an issue for your MB service rep.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Skylaw - 12/9/2005 10:33 AM

The "Red Book" standard for CDs only allows for 99 tracks, and also has limitations on time and data. An .mp3 CD will be limited to 99 tracks, even if the time and data limitations are not exceeded.
It's interesting I guess this standard does not apply to BMW Alphine changers. On our 2006 BMW 750Li, the in-dash CD changer (from Alphine I believe, requiring a cartridge), can play MP3 CDs with more than 150 songs.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
There are many deviations from the standard; the only problem is, non-compliant CDs may not play on other players/changers. Of course, if the non compliant disc meets your needs, that's not a problem.

You may also find that many disc-burning programs won't permit more than 99 tracks on a CD, since that's the standard. Some may.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Red Book is the standard for audio CDs, and doesn't cover mp3 data discs so I don't see that it is relevant here. I haven't seen any such limitation in the handful of aftermarket head units I have used, either. For example I fitted a Becker Mexico Pro unit recently in my E class which will happily fit 200+ tracks and/or folders on a CD, constrained by the actual disc space rather than an abritrary limit, although there is generally a limit of 255 tracks and/or folders. It's possible that the (obsolescent) firmware on some combined CD audio/mp3 players has a 99 track limit, or that since the player loads the TOC when you insert the disc, memory limitations may come into play, but it shouldn't be like than in 2005.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2004 E55 with command and no Nav. I have burned several MP3 CDs that do not play at all. Is this a 2004 issue or am i doing something wrong. I am using I-Tunes to do it and I have tried several different ways. Tonight I am going to try a different type of CD and DVD but wonder what the secret is?

THanks

D

·
Registered
108 Posts
After going to the dealer for service I asked them to upgrade the Command software to accept MP3 CDs. It works now perfect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Mad TKD - 1/6/2006 12:50 PM

After going to the dealer for service I asked them to upgrade the Command software to accept MP3 CDs. It works now perfect.
So a simple software update solved everything? Very interesting piece of information! Thanks.

What country are you from?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am in Huntsville AL USA. I dont know if it works for all Commands but there is a update for the E55. The MP3 CDs work fine in single CD but not in the CD changer.

Good luck

·
Registered
603 Posts
Mad TKD - 1/6/2006 2:58 PM
I am in Huntsville AL USA. I dont know if it works for all Commands but there is a update for the E55. The MP3 CDs work fine in single CD but not in the CD changer.
Good luck
You need a updated cd changer to play mp3's there is a couple diff. numbers here is one 211-870-08-89.
No folder access from the changer though.........
Sam

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am going to have to go back to the dealer for my car. The MP3s have magically stop playing and it gives me a error when loading the CD. Does anyone know the lastest version of the software for the command?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought so. My wife's '05 E320 4Matic/Bose 6+1 in-dash cd player plays MP3 and gives folder info. Of course my '03 ML500 is a few years older. I remember some of the older Pioneer CDs could have the software updated by a CD with new Firmware flash info and then would play MP3s. Too bad Alpine can't.

Pete

21 - 40 of 211 Posts