Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming that we can't play MP3 CD's on our factory changers. I got to thinking, do you have to replace the head unit, the CD changer, or the whole setup in order to do so?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea is not to have an mp3 player in the car. That's where the mp3 cds come into the picture.

·
Registered
2000 ml320 1986 560sel 1973 280se4.5
76 Posts
bocabenz said:
I'm assuming that we can't play MP3 CD's on our factory changers. I got to thinking, do you have to replace the head unit, the CD changer, or the whole setup in order to do so?

Any thoughts?
I play CDs that I have burned on my computer all the time in my ML320 with the BOSE unit. No problem.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
roberhelfrick said:
I play CDs that I have burned on my computer all the time in my ML320 with the BOSE unit. No problem.
are these mp3 (~12 hours) or digital audio (~74 mins) cds?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You not only need a cd drive that can read the formated disks, but you need a head unit that will decode the mp3's. I feel your pain. My daughter would like to do this in her ML320, which has the 6 disk changer and the Command unit. I just don't think it is worth it to pull the units out and replace them with aftermarket gear, which is the answer. I told her to just use her Ipod with the FM adapter or make redbood cd's for the changer. With the command unit, the cassette adapter option is out since the wire would be in the way of the closing faceplate mechanism. But if you have the 6 disk changer, you can still have a nice selections of songs... maybe 60 or so. At least they are not lossy compressed. :)

Ken

·
Registered
2002 ML320
84 Posts
I Have the Cassette Adapter and I threaded it while the screen was closing, it depends on the size of the wire, but I agree that the FM adapter is the best way to go; no showing wires, better quality sound in some cases.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,435 Posts
roberhelfrick said:
If you going to burn the MP3s to a CD, can't you convert them to WAV files and burn it as a normal audio CD? Then you could play them in any normal CD player.

Doesn't really seem worth it to upgrade the hardware when you can make the software backwards-compatible.

·
Registered
2000 ML-430 Polar White
319 Posts
i tried the tape thing and the FM transmitter. This doesn't get around ou not wanting to have an mp3 player in the car, but the best audio quality comes from buying a $20 6 pin adapter to replace the cd changer and then getting a $6 Input output to headphone jack and wiring it wherever you want. Sound is extremely good. The only problem is that when the battery is removed you have to connect the cd changer and then reconnect the ipod. I'd say its worthwhile!

Just a side note to make sure we are all on the same page. A mp3 cd is a normal blank cdr disk that is formatted in manner that simply puts the music files as they are on your computer onto the disk, then an mp3 cd player has the anility to decode them. The advantage is that you can get 150 + (or more, don't really remember because ipod's are far more effective) because the songs do not have to be reformatted into what a regular cd player can read.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
43 Posts
Where to buy the $20 adapter?

ML430-OFFROAD said:
i tried the tape thing and the FM transmitter. This doesn't get around ou not wanting to have an mp3 player in the car, but the best audio quality comes from buying a $20 6 pin adapter to replace the cd changer and then getting a $6 Input output to headphone jack and wiring it wherever you want. Sound is extremely good. The only problem is that when the battery is removed you have to connect the cd changer and then reconnect the ipod. I'd say its worthwhile!

Just a side note to make sure we are all on the same page. A mp3 cd is a normal blank cdr disk that is formatted in manner that simply puts the music files as they are on your computer onto the disk, then an mp3 cd player has the anility to decode them. The advantage is that you can get 150 + (or more, don't really remember because ipod's are far more effective) because the songs do not have to be reformatted into what a regular cd player can read.

Could you point me to where you bought the $20 adapter and the $6 i/o jack ?
Also , instruction to install them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies... I've been in a national park where there's been no tv, cell, or internet. Anwyways, I've pretty much seen what I needed to see. It's not worth upgrading hardware, I don't really want to loose my cd player, and the FM trans wasn't real clear when I tried it.

Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
2000 ML-430 Polar White
319 Posts
Amazon.com: Blaupunkt AUXIN2R Second auxiliary input adapterwith RCA jacks: Electronics

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...d-integration.html?highlight=ipod+integration

1st step is to take out the mcs unit you can buy a pair of keys at the dealership for a few bucks or make your own. after you have the unit out unplug the CD cable from the back, then plug in the adapter from crutchfield. next i fished the wires from the adapter behind the dash then connected them to my monster cable and fished that threw. the hardest part of the install is fishing the wires to the location you want them. and easy place to fish the wires to is the glove box but the felt fromt he glove box sticks to the ipod so be aware of that.

after you have pluged everything in plug the 1/8 monster cable into your ipod and play a song. then click the CD on the MCS make sure the volume on the MCS and ipod are on. it should play if not check your wires. onething i noted is i had a cd i was playing befor the install and when everything was pluged in it said CD 5 track 7 to get it to say CD 1 track 1 00:00 simply plug the cd player in eject the mag then put it back in hit CD and then hit CD1 and befor it changes to that turn the power to the MCS off then plug in the adapter from crutcfield and it should display CD 1 track 1 00:00.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...tall-pics-aux.html?highlight=ipod+integration

·
Registered
2000 ML-430 Polar White
319 Posts
sin0822 said:
only problem is many ppl got fiber optic going to their cd player instead of the wires?
sorry i didn't even think of that... this is for pre02 i believe who do have a cd changer. can't do it without one.

Do a thread search in W163 for ipod integration and you will see the options for fiberoptic. i can if you want, i just don't have time at the moment

1 - 14 of 14 Posts