Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all my plans work out, I hope to be moving from my current location in upstate NY out to the Eugene/Springfield area within the next two months. Good news is in the new house I'll have a good-sized, heated garage to work in all year 'round.

The question is, what's the best way to get the 560SL out there? Should I tow it behind the rental truck? Penske quotes about $500 for a flat bed trailer. Of course that will add to the fuel costs, but it seems a reasonable price.

Or can anyone recommend a good shipping company that would charge a comparable price? I realize it's worth paying a little more to lessen the hassle.

Tom H.

·
Registered
1987 560SL 29,124 orig miles/2004 S500AMG 99,075/1999 SLK 124,000/2011 Cadillac SRX 28,000 miles
31 Posts
Hi - not sure of the budget or condition of your car, but I just purchased a 1987 560SL which I had shipped from CA to my home in CT. The car is pretty much in mint condition and a low mileage vehicle so I paid extra for closed shipping and used PlyCar which took about a week - I was very happy and impressed with the service I received and I was given ETA estimates twice during the trip as well as the drivers cell phone number. The total cost was approximately $900 for the enclosed shipping. One note of caution. The trucks PlyCar uses are enormous rigs which carry multiple exotic cars/collector cars and cannot navigate in most neighborhood streets - I arranged for them to meet me and off load my car off the main highway at a High School lot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
You won't find anyone to ship that far for anywhere near what the trailer rental is. Another option which I did was to buy a car trailer locally, then sell it at your destination. I bought a nice wood deck flatbed in Wisconsin to haul my Grandpa's case tractor to Washington behind a Ryder truck. The tandem trailer with ramps etc was $ 1,300.00. I elected to keep it as I haul lots of other things. But if you sold it for even a thousand, you'd make a quick sale and save a few bucks. I think you will be glad you got the hell out of NY and moved to a more laid back state. Other than the rain, Oregon and Wa are pretty good places to live and work. Lots of scenic drives for an SL. Good luck !

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
If you're driving out there anyway in a moving truck, then tow it. You can do some side trips in Glacier National Park--since that is along the way, or Yellow Stone. Which would be truly joyful in an open top car for either of them. It's a trip we are planning for next Summer. Just don't cut that trip after October 1st.

Good luck in Eugene. I have had family there for many years now and it is quite beautiful. Though the gas is very expensive. You are not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon. And they use "boutique" blends in the Summer. But, electricity is very cheap there. All hydro power.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's just the kind of information I need.

The cheapest I've been able to find for shipping is around $1,300 and that was for non-enclosed. I would guess that the lower $900 figure for LA to CT is because there are probably a lot more people shipping cars from LA to the east rather than from here in the east out to the Northwest.

I lived out in Eugene for a year back in the early 90s before a job offer brought me back to NY, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, which is one reason I decided to move there. I like the fact that it's not far from the coast and not far from the mountains, and also not a long drive to Portland.

I was out there for a week house hunting last week and noticed gas prices were about on par with NY. But...I've been spending a few thousand on heating oil living here so I'll save a lot not having to lay out increasing costs for heat each year. So my overall energy bill will be much lower even if gas is about the same. Yeah, I knew there was no self-serve gas...which I would have appreciated in Syracuse in say, January.

As far as rain, well, before I moved to the Hudson River Valley area 12 years ago, I'd been living in Syracuse for 10 years. You don't have to shovel rain. I laughed when I heard they'd set a new record snowfall in Eugene earlier this year: 8 inches. That's what we'd brush off our car at the end of the day in Syracuse.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Thanks. That's just the kind of information I need.

I lived out in Eugene for a year back in the early 90s before a job offer brought me back to NY, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, which is one reason I decided to move there. I like the fact that it's not far from the coast and not far from the mountains, and also not a long drive to Portland.

I was out there for a week house hunting last week and noticed gas prices were about on par with NY. But...I've been spending a few thousand on heating oil living here so I'll save a lot not having to lay out increasing costs for heat each year. So my overall energy bill will be much lower even if gas is about the same. Yeah, I knew there was no self-serve gas...which I would have appreciated in Syracuse in say, January.

As far as rain, well, before I moved to the Hudson River Valley area 12 years ago, I'd been living in Syracuse for 10 years. You don't have to shovel rain. I laughed when I heard they'd set a new record snowfall in Eugene earlier this year: 8 inches. That's what we'd brush off our car at the end of the day in Syracuse.
People heat either with wood or electricity out there. Not so in Portland, but the rest of the state is pretty rustic. Heating oil sucks. I know guys that have furnaces which can also burn spent car oil, amongst other things.

My son was out there this year visiting his cousins when it snowed. He just laughed and laughed about the poor driving skills of the natives. When I was growing up in Minnesota, we routinely got around six to eight feet of snow each season. We are slowly headed back that way again. Our weather runs in 30 year cycles here.

Do see Glacier in your SL, if you can, it will leave memories for a life time.

·
Registered
1987 560SL 29,124 orig miles/2004 S500AMG 99,075/1999 SLK 124,000/2011 Cadillac SRX 28,000 miles
31 Posts
Sorry I just re-read my post and I didn't make myself clear - my shipping cost was $900 LA to CT with PlyCar - the seller also paid about half as part of my negotiation for the car purchase - so a more realistic cost would be around $1800 I imagine.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,341 Posts
Another option which I did was to buy a car trailer locally, then sell it at your destination. I bought a nice wood deck flatbed in Wisconsin to haul my Grandpa's case tractor to Washington behind a Ryder truck. The tandem trailer with ramps etc was $ 1,300.00. I elected to keep it as I haul lots of other things. But if you sold it for even a thousand, you'd make a quick sale and save a few bucks.
That is an excellent idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was growing up in Minnesota, we routinely got around six to eight feet of snow each season. We are slowly headed back that way again.
In Syracuse we used to call that a "mild winter." Average there was 120" a year, and a number of years just before I moved away we racked up somewhere like 170" a few times.

It's the lake effect. Storms come barreling down from Canada (their largest export, it seems) picking up moisture from the Great Lakes and when they hit land the moisture gets dumped as snow, the first city they reach is Syracuse.

One weekend back in '93 we got 43 inches. And it was March!

The house I'm buying has a heat pump, which I understand is a pretty cost-effective way to heat and cool.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
In Syracuse we used to call that a "mild winter." Average there was 120" a year, and a number of years just before I moved away we racked up somewhere like 170" a few times.

It's the lake effect. Storms come barreling down from Canada (their largest export, it seems) picking up moisture from the Great Lakes and when they hit land the moisture gets dumped as snow, the first city they reach is Syracuse.

One weekend back in '93 we got 43 inches. And it was March!

The house I'm buying has a heat pump, which I understand is a pretty cost-effective way to heat and cool.
We use heat pumps here too--very smart. They extract the heat (or cold) from water that is pumped through the soil--deep enough where it is a constant 55F. It's a system that has been in use in Europe a long time now. I first read about it in the early 90's.

Well, Duluth, Minnesota gets that kind of snow. But we also get the super sub zero temps following the snow. The mild "warming" of the last 15 years has been a God send, in my opinion. The most snow I have seen was 36" in 48 hours followed by -35F (not wind chill) temps for two weeks.

Oregon has more Pheasant than any state in the union--and hardly anyone hunts them. I don't know if you have ever tried it, but it is a blast and the birds are quite tasty. Oregon even has the very rare Golden Pheasant--the only state where the Brits could get them to take.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Buy the trailer. Problem solved. You are driving a moving truck anyway. You will sell it for fairly close to what you pay for it ! Or pay a trucking co 1.5 to 2 k and call it happy ! This is a no brainer :D

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
You can stop and visit with TD on your way--another nice SL trip is the Columbia River Gorge--hmm, beautiful. Nice wine country these days too. And be sure to stop in Pendleton, take a trip to the mills and buy a nice woolen robe for those cold wet nights in January. They look good with an SL. If you time it right, you can see the largest rodeo in America--thats what they say anyway.

But seriously, doing "Going To The Sun Road" in an open car will be a blast. It's a must on your way there. Stay at one of the old Great Northern lodges and then drive around the park in the SL. Thats the road that Jack Nicholson drives up to get to the hotel in the shining. the lodge at the east gate is the one where they filmed the girl on the trike in the hallway scene and the rest of the hotel shots are at Crater Lake Lodge in Oregon, IIRC.

What a fun trip to take. I can hardly wait!!!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
You betcha ! Check in and I'll help you hatch a plan. Just drove from Washougal to Cascade Locks again this evening ! I never tire of the Gorge !

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Having you own trailer is handy if you have need for it, otherwise it be just more moving parts to deal with when you are already going through a fair amount of disruption (cross-country relo). I'd just rent a 4 wheel off the road trailer and be done with it, and you do want all four wheels off the ground.

Keep us posted on the move - Eugene is a neat town. That is where a local shop took pity on me when I toasted my Spitfire fuel pump before I knew what a wrench was.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
Not sure if this is true as I just pumped my own gas in Oregon last week. Maybe I wasn't supposed to? :confused: :D
I've never seen self serve in Oregon. By the way, Cannon Beach is one of my favorite places on earth!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Not sure if this is true as I just pumped my own gas in Oregon last week. Maybe I wasn't supposed to? :confused: :D
I've never seen self serve in Oregon. By the way, Cannon Beach is one of my favorite places on earth!
I totally forgot about that when I was there last month, pulled in at a station along the Columbia and had the pump handle in hand when the jockey came over. I apologized and let him do his job. He still made me swipe my credit card though. :p

OP, if it wouldn't add so many miles to such a great car, I'd offer to come drive it for you for some amount way less than transport. Great time of year for a cross-country trip...ahhhh.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I was out there I did see a guy fill his own tank on his bike. I could understand why, some pump jockeys aren't as careful about getting gas on your tank's paint as they could be.

·
Registered
1981 380 SLC
149 Posts
We were on a trip down the Oregon coast and stopped in Cannon Beach for lunch on our way from Astoria to Lincoln City. It is beautiful there!

The gas station we stopped at was a Shell in Newburg, OR and nobody came to the car to pump our gas. Very weird because everything I read says Oregon is only full service.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
As an Oregon border resident for 45 years can attest to the fact Oregon is attendant service only. In saw on the reader boards when I was in Portland the gas cops have an APB out for the guy who pumped his own gas :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts