Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g-day all

I just bought a 1978 406 unimog and i would like to build a tray for it could anybody help with drawings and some ideas, also were do the trays mount on the chassis. does any body live in the Brisbane area that has a 406 i could look at.

cheers

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Tray? Folk from several countries lurk here. To us in the USA... maybe other countries, a tray is a something you put a plate of food on in a restaurant or for a larger rectangular serving dish etc.

What is a Tray in AU? The rear bed? A shelf in the cab?

try some different terms in the search engine. Your bound to come up with your answers and then again more great questions.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
I reckon he is referring to a Pritsche, or a Bed, box,Flat bed, etc.

To answer the original question, it would be helpful if you could post a photo or two of the current state of the rear of your truck. I have photos of 406 / 416 bed mounts and subframes, but a quick look at what you have back there now will focus the process.

·
Premium Member
Unimog U1250
1,660 Posts
G'day David - here are a few photos of 416 bed mounts - not sure if they translate to a 406. Basically you need a 4 point - two swivels front and rear to take the transverse motion - and a centre fixed one around the suspension tubethat pitches fore and aft.

This is the front one.

Jekran has a whole thread on a super bling 406 - he has a tipper back but the mounts should be similar.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1398116-custom-unimog-406-a-11.html

I'm sure TRUKTOR has more photos - when he gets back from his surfing trip.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
Some "Spiders" and other bed mount items.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
P.2.
A couple of SBU mounts slipped in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,763 Posts
Not the hijack the thread and get too off topic but it sees to me, and please correct me if I am wrong about this, but the tipper beds consist of three parts; the frame, the dump body and the tipper cylinder. The dump has the female ball sockets and a spherical pocket in the spider frame to allow the three-way tip.

So far so good. Now if you wanted to change the geometry of the dump bed it looks to me that you can do as you wish within reason so long as the ball sockets line up between the lower frame and what ever is on top and so long as the tipper cylinder and the spider retain their relationship. The short description is pretty much so long as the spider lines up on the tipper right, the body can be any shape and location.

It just seems to my reading of things that with the multiple options of frame length, cab length and bed length; it should be a somewhat simple matter of building a lower frame to mount to and devising the correct relationship of the upper structure to the spider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts