Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'03 C320 4Matic Wagon
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the day had to come. On January 1, it becomes illegal in Delaware to use a hand-held device (i.e. my iPhone) in a car. It's unsafe to do so in any case, but that hasn't stopped me. Soon the State Troopers will, however!

I've swapped out my Becker for a Kenwood KDC X994. Works great in every way, but I haven't yet dipped into the Bluetooth functionality, and now I must. My only puzzle is <b>how and where to mount the microphone.</b>

I've looked around the forum; it's curious how little attention this question has gotten for the last few years.

It would be great to wire the deck to the built-in mike. But I have seen no instructions anywere for doing this; has anyone done this successfully?

Alternatively, is there a convenient way to mount the little microphone that comes with the deck? A convenient place? Has anyone done this and if so are there any pictures available?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
How long are cables 6 &14? If they are long enough then you could pop out the ashtray and use the compartment for the cables and an IPOD. Close the compartment when not in use to hide everything.

Take out kenwood, run cables a foot and your done.

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 C320 4Matic Wagon
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a very clever idea, thanks. Right now, I have 6 and 14 coming through the storage compartment just above the ashtray, and it would be easy to move them to the otherwise-unused ashtray bin. Plenty of length available -- esp. the microphone cable.

But I think the microphone will need to be mounted somewhere higher to provide best pickup. I don't see a mike in your pic -- am I missing something?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
No microphone in pic; that is the IPOD retrofit with the original Becker and cassette adapter. Just thought that would be a good spot for this application. There is enough room for the classic IPOD and the shuffle at the same time now.

You could affix the mic as far forward in that compartment as possible, and I think the Kenwood would cut off the music while you were talking; so you could probably get away with it that far away.

·
Registered
'03 C320 4Matic Wagon
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it might work and if all else fails that's how I'll set it up. But I'm hoping for something a bit better from both operational and aesthetic angles.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG, 2002 ML500
127 Posts
I have the KDC-X994 in my E430.

Cables 6 and 14 are longer than the mind can comfortable conceive of. There's a lot of freedom as to where to put these things.

I took the center console apart and ran the USB cable all the way back to the vent inside the armrest storage compartment. I notched out the vent a little so the USB connector would fit through the vent. I keep my iPod in the armrest, in the upper compartment where the factory phone was. That way nobody can see it. I only remove it to sync new music onto it. That way the ashtray is empty and the under-the-armrest compartment has much more room for the cable and things.

I stuck the microphone on the dash cover, to the right of the instrument cluster. The cable can be run up behind the wood panel with the switches on it. Once you get the panel out it's pretty easy. (The HVAC controls come out very easily). I wanted to make sure that the steering wheel wouldn't block the microphone.

The call sound quality is good enough that nobody notices that I'm on a handsfree device, just like the Parrot bluetooth system I have in my other vehicle.

If you play with the user color setting on the KDC-X994 you can get it to match the color of the dash illumination pretty well too.

I thought about using the factory mic, but it is wired to a 25 pin D connector in the trunk; not convenient at all, and I wasn't sure it's electrical characteristics would match up well with the Kenwood's mic input.

·
Registered
'03 C320 4Matic Wagon
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a terrific solution. I'll look to find the "vent" tomorrow. Obviously you were able to avoid the shifter and its controls.

To run the mike cable as you did, did you have to remove the wood panel? No problem to take out the hvac controls with a set of "keys" (which I have).

Any chance of a picture of your solution? I'd like to see where you have the mic cable coming out, etc.

In any case, thanks for this good suggestion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts