Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another mounting question.

Today I was trying to figure out what to do with the 1300 platform that I bought a long time ago to go on the 2450 which is now getting a 500 bed and the 1300 bed is big and in the way. I don't want to store it outside for obvious reasons and I could just lean it up against the wall, but one possibility is to mount it on a 1 1/2 ton trailer that I have then have a Unimog looking trailer with sides and all.

I don't have the center mounting system for the platform or a 1300 to look at so I'm not exactly sure how it is suppose to work. The main thing I don't understand is what the 2 angled down, mounted at the front, facing to the rear and hanging down do and if they are even necessary. They unbolt so they could be removed and I could just fabricate something to use the other 2 center located 4 bolt brackets along with the 2 end pivot brackets alone which would make things slightly less complicated.

Those who don't have a 1300 probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but you guys with one to look at, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
2 center located 4 bolt brackets along with the 2 end pivot brackets alone which would make things slightly less complicated.
That is all mine is connected with...It has had a fair amount of weight in it with no issues.

C.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is pretty much what I had decided.

I talked to Jay who was driving his new 1300L and he says his doesn't have the extra braces. I also looked under my 1550L and it has a similar frame under the rear box but it does not have the extra braces either. Perhaps they are only on the military models.

Still curious about their function.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
Well that doesn't wash becasue if it's the east coast truck I was told it was, that truck is ex-BW and not at all chopped up.

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
The main thing I don't understand is what the 2 angled down, mounted at the front, facing to the rear and hanging down do and if they are even necessary. They unbolt so they could be removed and I could just fabricate something to use the other 2 center located 4 bolt brackets along with the 2 end pivot brackets alone which would make things slightly less complicated.
Looking at my xBW u1300L. The rear bed is attached by the forward and rear pivot brackets and in the middle the 2 4-bolt brackets. I can't see the two hanging down which you mention. Maybe a PO addition? May be a factory option? If you want any photo's of anything specific just holla.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at my xBW u1300L. The rear bed is attached by the forward and rear pivot brackets and in the middle the 2 4-bolt brackets. I can't see the two hanging down which you mention. Maybe a PO addition? May be a factory option? If you want any photo's of anything specific just holla.
Hmm? Yeah a couple of photos of the setup might me handy to have for reference. Next time I go to the shop I'll take a photo of the braces I'm talking about. They are od green like the rest of the bed.

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mount I'm concerned with is the center one that you can't see in the pictures.

But what you can see in the top and bottom picture is the brace I'm talking about. 3 bolts in the front then angling down and back to the center mounting point. One on each side.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'll take some pics tomorrow if you want ? It's a little tight in there but should be possible.

Thanks but the EPC drawing fills in the gaps as to what the main center mount is supposed to look like. As to the mystery part #341? Still a mystery... It must have some useful function.

Hey Trev, you have a drawing of the bed sides? To get a fix on hinge hardware.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, if that was a serious question.

Looking under my platform yesterday I just discovered that it sill has the hatchet and pick mounted under there. Just missing the shovel. Who knew :) Nice surprise. I need to get a proper shovel that fits the mounts.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Yeah, no idea what the Pioneer kit holder/mount tube looks like, it looked like to me that's where the front ended, but I've only seen a few in person, and never paid that much attention. The bars go back to what looks like something that bolts onto the rear cross-member tube from the EPC photo, so I think your original theory was right on, some kind of torsional stabilizer.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the military 1300Ls the pioneer tools simply mount to the bottom of the bed with only a couple of hardware pieces. Mostly just rubber stretch straps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts