Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 01 SL500. Unfortunatly, the v60 cell phone was not with the car, (it has the original phone cradle & wiring).
Have ordered an origilal MB V60 phone from Ebay.

Will the phone & the voice recognition system work with this phone only, or do I also need to order a V60 BT Bluetooth adaptor, or is this only for use/usefull in the US.

Regards, Per.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Just got my 01 SL500. Unfortunatly, the v60 cell phone was not with the car, (it has the original phone cradle & wiring).
Have ordered an origilal MB V60 phone from Ebay.

Will the phone & the voice recognition system work with this phone only, or do I also need to order a V60 BT Bluetooth adaptor, or is this only for use/usefull in the US.

Regards, Per.
per300 I fear the MB V60 will only work in the US because as far as I remember the R129 used a non GSM version of it but I'm not sure about it but once you get the one you bought on ebay you can check about it. I really don't know if the V60BT adaptor will work on the R129 because it was created for the installation in the W220 W215 US spec so I can't help on this one.

Sorry about it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Msbarsi.

You might just have saved me $3-400 for a adaptor. (Phone was just $60, so no worry there).
Do you have any idea what the European SL models came equiped with, and if it is easy/possible to convert from the US specs?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Thanks Msbarsi.

You might just have saved me $3-400 for a adaptor. (Phone was just $60, so no worry there).
Do you have any idea what the European SL models came equiped with, and if it is easy/possible to convert from the US specs?
Hmm good question. Let me see: as far as I understand your car came with the Motorola V60 hands free set up right ? If the set up is for that Mercedes spec Motorola V60, as far as I know it will only work with the Mercedes spec V60 and not with a normal one. The problem is that there is a fair change that that phone you purchased si analog and not GSM. If it is the V60 GSM one there is another problem but luckily it can be solved maybe. The European GSM specced V60 was a tri-band phone (I had one) working on 800,1800 and 1900 mhz the lattest being the one used in America so it should work if the GSM network in Lebanon is like in Europe (800 1800 mhz) you might use the MB V60 you purchased.
Actually I didn't remember the R129 had a V60 installation as I don't remember now what Euro spec cars got as a phone but in case the V60 you got doesn't work in your area, you can try with a friend's GSM V60 or even a V600 (I got that too) that's a quad band phone.
More, if you have a Mercedes delaer handy and they are so kind to try the V60 BT adaptor and see if it works you can also try that route and see what happens.
For my SL I went to another route using a BT handset kit found on ebay that plugged into the ISO radio connectors and allowed me to listen to phone calls thru the stereo speakers.
In one of my posts you can see pictures of what I got because unfortunately I have nto pics here handy at the moment.
I'm sorry for the very long post but I hope this helps at least.

Good luck.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Two things:

1: The V60s were digital. Some were tri-mode and some weren't, but all had digital capability.

2: The V60 bluetooth adapter will work for the R129, and Mercedes sells it for this purpose.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings from Beirut.

I should have my phone in a week, (or two).
Will come back with the verdict ASAP.
And we have a very good Benz dealer in town, so if it does not work, I'll ask them for advice.

Regards.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Greetings from Beirut.

I should have my phone in a week, (or two).
Will come back with the verdict ASAP.
And we have a very good Benz dealer in town, so if it does not work, I'll ask them for advice.

Regards.
Don't waste time with the dealer, they usually aren't that knowledgeable about the phones on older models.

FWIW, if you really do have the V60 cradle I would be surprised. With your model year, you probably really have a Timeport cradle. All this means is that, instead of just buying the bluetooth puck, you will have to buy the V60 cradle AND the bluetooth puck. The cradles are pretty easily interchangeable, so it's just a bit more cost. Either way, you will have no problems getting it working.

Call (714) 746-5930, and they will tell you exactly what is up with your phone system, and what you need to buy to make it work.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sim card?

Hi all.

Just got my phone. Fits staight in the cradle, Voice recognition system works, all OK, eccept, can't figure out where to fit my Lebanese Sim card. Seems there are no where to put it. Anybody?

Per.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Hi all.

Just got my phone. Fits staight in the cradle, Voice recognition system works, all OK, eccept, can't figure out where to fit my Lebanese Sim card. Seems there are no where to put it. Anybody?

Per.
It's not a GSM phone, there is no SIM card. You will have to take it to your cellular provider's store and have them activate it for you, assuming they have non-GSM digital network capability. If not, you will have to activate it with a different carrier.

You can probably also call them over the phone, they have the instructions on the computer and can walk you through it.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Hi all.

Per.
per300 in the Motorola V60 you have to open the back cover, take the battery out and if there is not the Sim hole under the battery you need to start your search over. As per my previous post my fears got true and as sorry as I can be I fear you now have a useless phone and a useless handfree system. Unfortunately there is no GSM MB Motorola V60 on ebay and now the only option you have is to try a "normal" Motorola V60 to see if it work and cross your fingers.
Could you please provide me the Ebay Item # to understand which V60 you purchased and post some pics of the phone battery compartment without the battery also?

Hope I can help more after the infos I asked you.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Alright, did some reasearch for you...

If it is the GSM version, you pry open the little panel with the Motorola logo on the flip-top. The SIM card slot will be underneath.

If not, then you ended up with a non-GSM version, and you will have to go to a different carrier.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks both of you.
Wrong phone for sure, no SIM card slot. No problem, paid $70 incl shipping so it is no biggy. You learn as long as you live.
Will look for a V60i GSM on Ebay later. The system in Lebanon confirm to European standards, so a V60i GSM should work, or?

Looking at it from the bright side, (as we always have to here), the phone looks great, fits nicely in the cradle & are now fully charged. (Just need somebody to call).

Anyway, this is a great site, all your help is highly appresiated.

Regards, Per.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Thanks both of you.
Wrong phone for sure, no SIM card slot. No problem, paid $70 incl shipping so it is no biggy. You learn as long as you live.
Will look for a V60i GSM on Ebay later. The system in Lebanon confirm to European standards, so a V60i GSM should work, or?

Looking at it from the bright side, (as we always have to here), the phone looks great, fits nicely in the cradle & are now fully charged. (Just need somebody to call).

Anyway, this is a great site, all your help is highly appresiated.

Regards, Per.
To the best of my knowledge, GSM is GSM. It's the same standard everywhere. So yes, if you go back to ebay and buy the GSM version, that should solve your problems.

Just make sure you buy the Mercedes version of the phone. The non-benz versions won't work, because the phone needs to be programmed with special software in order to communicate with the car. I have actually heard that plugging a non-mercedes phone into the car's cradle will fry the phone.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
GSM is GSM but it's not the same everywhere since in the US they use 850MHz and 1900 MHz while in Europe we use 900MHz and 1800 MHz.

GSM Motorola V60 and V60i were 900/1800/1900 MHz and they were the first phones to be able to be used all over the world.
The problem is that as far as I can remember the only V60 that works in the R129 is a Mercedes Benz V60c which is not only a Mercedes branded phone but has a special firmware that allows to work in the car.
Unfortunately the V60c is not GSM so before purchasing a "normal" V60 or V60i make a test with a friend of yours who has a V60 and is willing to risk his phone health otherwise you will have another useless "brick" around the house and will have trashed some other cash.

Another option can be to go to a Mercedes dealer and talk with the part guy taking with you the VIN of your car and see if the V60 bluetooth adapter (like this one) can work in your car.

If everything doesn't work, you can purchase a radio with Bluetooth capabilities and you are done. Usually this kind of radios have mp3 wma and so on capabilities too.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation you are in now.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
GSM is GSM but it's not the same everywhere since in the US they use 850MHz and 1900 MHz while in Europe we use 900MHz and 1800 MHz.

GSM Motorola V60 and V60i were 900/1800/1900 MHz and they were the first phones to be able to be used all over the world.
The problem is that as far as I can remember the only V60 that works in the R129 is a Mercedes Benz V60c which is not only a Mercedes branded phone but has a special firmware that allows to work in the car.
Unfortunately the V60c is not GSM so before purchasing a "normal" V60 or V60i make a test with a friend of yours who has a V60 and is willing to risk his phone health otherwise you will have another useless "brick" around the house and will have trashed some other cash.

Another option can be to go to a Mercedes dealer and talk with the part guy taking with you the VIN of your car and see if the V60 bluetooth adapter (like this one) can work in your car.

If everything doesn't work, you can purchase a radio with Bluetooth capabilities and you are done. Usually this kind of radios have mp3 wma and so on capabilities too.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation you are in now.

Cheers.
Ya, I heard the same thing...If you plug a non-mercedes phone into the cradle, you can kiss the phone goodbye.

FWIW, I went down this road with my dealer, and they want....get this....$600+ for the V60 with the Mercedes software, and almost that much for the bluetooth puck. That is a gigantic ripoff, considering that except for the programming it's the same damned phone that is all over ebay for less than $100, and you can get the pucks for $300.

There is a guy in california that sells all this stuff, including phones with the proper software, on Ebay for MUCH more reasonable prices than what you can get through the dealer. I have to run, but I will look up his user id and will post it here so the OP doesn't get bent over having to buy from the dealer.

And as to the MHZ, most GSM phones these days (including the V60) are quad-band, so you can use them on any GSM network. There are only a handful of tri-bands in production, and those are the real super-cheapies you wouldn't want anyway. I don't think anybody makes a dual-band GSM phone anymore. The transmission protocol is the same regardless of network broadcast frequency, so if he buys a V60 with the SIM card slot from the US or wherever, then it will work just fine for him.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Motorola V60 and V60i were tribands.
I had one.

Cheers.
Yes, yes, I agree you are right, but the only ones that are compatible with the Mercedes system were the later V60 models, specifically the V60i and V60x, both of which were quad-band. I think if you double-check, you will find that the GSM version of the V60i was in fact a quad-band not a triband.

If it is a mercedes-supplied V60, which is the only thing he can use anyway, then it is definitely quad-band.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts