Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest Motor Trend mag has a comparison of the SLK55 AMG vs the new Boxster S......some interesting comments (not going to go into detail). The SLK55 is quicker in a straight line as expected but the Boxster gets better marks in handling.
According to Motor Trend "If the purist's sports-car scale is the measure - as we think it is - the Boxster S is the winner."
The most interesting item is that Motor Trend was able to run 0-60 mph in 4.5sec!!!! a half second faster than the Boxster S. [:D]
Also 0-100 mph in 11 sec....and quarter mile in 12.8 sec @109.2 mph.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
The test does not seem to be on Motor Trend's website, at least not yet.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct....I checked the website and only found the March edition. This is the first real test information that I have found on the SLK55 AMG, it includes the time to speed, braking, slalom etc.
I'd try to scan it in but it probably won't be readable when I post it.

·
Registered
SLK55/Infiniti M45
132 Posts
Read the article, and yes the Boxter went around the track almost 2 seconds faster than the SLK55.

Big surprise, manual tranny vs. and automatic will pretty much always win, even with a massive power difference.

The fact is, the Porsche does handle a bit better, it's a mid engine'd vehicle that's primary goal is handling.

The SLK55 is a (very slightly) nose heavy V8 powerhouse where luxury, power, and ride are more of a priority. (Both vehicles have excellent rides for the amount of handling they have!)

No, I don't own either, but I'm considering the SLK55. I'd consider the Porsche too if it had an extra 100hp, even the 355hp in the SLK is a lot less than I'm used to. (Coming from a 700hp supercharged Z06 which will outpower and outhandle both of them). ;)

http://www.dozer.com/z06

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Dozer:

As a past Corvette owner (C5) I can attest that you will really like the new SLK 55.
The sound and power of it's V8 is great.
It is more costly than the 'Vette and I wasn't up for spending the extra $$ on the AMG with the sacrifice of the additional luxury items I got in my 350.
If you can do without some of the "goodies", and can afford it, go take a look a 55 - I think you'll impressed with how MB has really taken the SLK to new level.
The SLK55 is not as fast as the 'Vette in terms of full out acceleration, but it can "hang" with this and other sports cars too.

·
Registered
SLK55/Infiniti M45
132 Posts
Hmmm, what goodies do I lose with the SLK55? I do want all the toys and luxury! :(

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Dozer:
You don't lose any of the goodies in an SLK 55 vs. 350.
The main thing discussed in other threads on here is that the wood trim is not available for the 55.
I have the wood trim in my 350 and do like it. It's almost a black wood and looks great.

To be clear, for me it was more about keeping the cost of the car under control. I wanted just about every option available. When you factor these costs in, the price of the SLK 55 ballons to approximately $67,000.00 vs. the lower cost for a similiarly equipped 350.

Don't get me wrong - if the cost was lower and the same as the 350, I would have went with the 55.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts