Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a E320 4matic from 1998. Today I had a perculiar problem - when accelerating the engine looses power at ~4000 RPM. This happened both when accelerating from 110 km/h (kickdowned) and when accelerating from standing still.
The car behaved completely fine at all speeds below around 4000 rpm. When hitting 4000 then power when off/on at a rate of twice a second. Almost like if it hits a certain rpm, drops power, gets the power back (accelerates), reach the rpm, drops power again, etc. Very jerky in other words...

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

BR, Jacob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry - I don´t. I hoped this was a familliar problem. The only place I can get the codes read (since it is pre-ODBII) would be the local Mercedes dealer, and they tend to charge alot for that...

BR, Jacob

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Huh...?

Sorry - I don´t. I hoped this was a familliar problem. The only place I can get the codes read (since it is pre-ODBII) would be the local Mercedes dealer, and they tend to charge alot for that...

BR, Jacob

Your profile does not list your location, but a 1998 W210, in U.S. trim would most assuredly have an OBD-II data link port located near the hood release, under the dash...

My 1997 does.

JR

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
U.S.?

any car sold here starting m.y. 1996
Could be a dirty maf,clean it with maf cleaner crc brand per the diy and check for loose vacuum hoses or air cleaner box.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
I have the same car and that should only happen to you if you rev the car in park. Each time I rev my car in park I am sure there is a factory fail safe because at about 4K it would do exactly what you described, feels like it is hitting a rev limiter. Go to AutoZone and they will scan for free then post what they find, you should however buy a scanner for your car it is a must have for W210's.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Don't push up to 4000rpm

If you are pushing your car up to 4000 rpm and you are stopped, (In P or N) than that is normal. Most cars that I have had have a mechanism that controls that so people don't burn engines.

-But if you drive then you car should not do what you are saying.

-I almost never let my e320 go over 3000rpm unless I am testing something.

Be nice to your Benz. :)

·
Registered
06 CLS500, Boeing-737, 04 Tahoe LT, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan
257 Posts
Why would you rev your engine up to 4,000 RPM's in neutral anyway???? :eek:

Jeff

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
The OP said:

"This happened both when accelerating from 110 km/h (kickdowned) and when accelerating from standing still."

There is nothing in his post that I can see that refers to revving the engine in neutral...

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I live in Sweden and the car was originally sold in Germany. In these versions, they have a non-standard interface. On all the ODBII scanners I have seen, this version is explicitly stated not to be supported... :(

I tried in P, and I get the exact same behaviour at 4200 RPM. So it does not seem to have anything to do with the transmission at least.

I swapped my battery a few weeks ago, and I don´t think I have driven on the highway since then. Could the loss of power to the computer give this kind of effect? It surely messed up the control of the power windows at least...

BR, Jacob

·
Registered
'98 E430
236 Posts
My first thought was limited fuel flow. I've had similar response on other cars when the fuel filter starts to plug and I really needed the gasoline to flow. Might be worth trying a new filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts