Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 240d
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the TDI.com website checking out the diesel vw's the site is very informative to those who own diesels.Any way they have A fuel and lube section, alot of info, but I was wondering what kind of oil you diesel guys run.there all talking about synth oil over there,but I don't even think synth oil was around twenty years ago when my car was made.by the way this site needs more info like TDI.com they have every thing. Diesel needs to be in the forefront.

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
I strictly run 15W-40 Mobil Delvac 1300 super. Shell's Rotella 15W-40 is also a popular ...

I strictly run 15W-40 Mobil Delvac 1300 super. Shell's Rotella 15W-40 is also a popular oil. Whichever brand one chooses, it needs to have the correct additive pacjage for diesel engine service. Look for an oil that is at least CH-4 rated and if I am not mistaken I think even that rating has been superceded by CI-4. Anyways, these are API ratings and the "C" stands for combustion engine. This is what you need to look for when purchasing oil. Grades such as 20W-50 and 10W-40 generally are made for gasoline engines, thus they carry an API label of like SL or the like. The "S" standing for spark ignition engine. The 20W-50 grade I feel is too heavy. You are robbing the engine of needed power when using an oil this heavy. The only way that I would ever use this grade is if I had an engine that was just absolutely worn out and I was trying to buy some time before having to tear it down. Synthetics in my experience perform poorly in these older engines unless they have used it from the beginning. I would consider a synthetic if I were to ever do a complete rebuild including all gaskets and seals. I would never switch an older high mileage MB diesel from mineral to synthetic because these engines usually have some blow-by and also the potential for leaks from old and worn seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
I agree with Seanrob

I was debating between synthetic and dino oil at 175k, and decided to just stick with dino (Chevron Delo 400 15w-40, CI-4 =)

There's lots of lube info at
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

The general opinion there seems to be that Delvac 1 is probably the best synthetic (but is more costly or hard to find), and Delvac 1300, Rotella-T, and Delo 400 are probably your best bets for conventional oil.

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
yikes!

I clicked on that link that you put in your post Ler and all that I have to say is "obsessive compulsive disorder." Man those people in there need help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.