Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300 SE / 1983 280 SL Euro
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil with conventional 5-20. The car is burning a lot of oil. about a quart in 250 miles. I will prob change it with 10-30 and try a product like Restore. Also the car sat for about 5 years before i did the oil change so im wondering if it will improve after a while. Any recommendations? It runs strong a little shudder when it starts but then smooths out in about 5-10 seconds.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Geez-- that's alot of oil burning.... You must be a hell of a lot of fun to drive behind....

I'd go with a 20W-50 oil first off, but I'd also really want to fix the oil burning issue. Might be valves/valve guides (top end rebuild), might be rings (complete rebuild). How many miles on the car? Temporary/band-aid fixes are not going to solve the problem (even "restore" products, or "engine honey").

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not alot of Smoke

Thats the wierd thing.. its not smoking much more than your average car. First i thought it was a leak. Still wondering if it's possible it is only leaking under driving conditions bc there is oil on the bottom of the motor but none in my parking space. Also i read online that these engines are designed to burn oil, obvi not this much. I think my oil is too light to begin with.

Think im going to change it for mobil 1 high mileage 10w-30

Suggestions??

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
that's lot of burn on a six, in any case you can safely use any oil on the Mercedes oil chart as long as it is within your expected ambient temperature range. Maine in winter may be too cold for 20W50 unless you fudge by always parking in a warm garage or use a block heater.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Don't put 20-50 in you car. Try 10-30 mobile since you are up north. The burning my slow down after a few changes. I had a similar problem with a high mileage 190e.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
down here we Only run 20/50 in all the 116's/117's. They Hate light weight oils.

Never mind that 98% of the oils on the market don't have the additive package these engines are looking for.

If you are worried about things moving, get M1 15/50. It has all the anti wear additives you need and flows Very nicely even when cold.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
down here we Only run 20/50 in all the 116's/117's. They Hate light weight oils.

Never mind that 98% of the oils on the market don't have the additive package these engines are looking for.

If you are worried about things moving, get M1 15/50. It has all the anti wear additives you need and flows Very nicely even when cold.

Jonathan
What are these additive packages that you are referring to?

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts

Jonathan
Unfortunately 15W50 Mobil 1's are no longer available in the big jugs... only some stores will have them in single quarts.

Jono.. you recommend any other Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil that could be used during spring/summer in the Northern temps?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Want Rebuild Engine

Im going to change it for a heavier oil. but i'm looking into just rebuilding the whole damn thing. Anyone suggest a good Manual to help with that?

Also Anyone ever try RESTORE?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I'm doing a full rebuild. You can follow my thread.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Really?? Crap, it dissapered off the shelves here for about a month or so but a few weeks ago it came back in the Big jugs.. Haven't been in about a week, will need to see what's what!

If M1 isn't available, my next choice would be Amsoil or Redline..but if yer going to be ordering, I'd just go ahead and go w/ Brad Penn 20/50, it's a semi syn, but the base stock is killer and their additive package is spot on.

Nope, never tried restore. A merc w/ bad rings/scored cylinders is a rare occurrence. You likely have valve guides that are Toast...so even if Restore did what it says it does it wouldn't do you any good.

Jonathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts