Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two front motor mounts have leaked their oil. I will probably replace the third one in the back at the same time. I can feel a little bit of "wobbling vibration" in the arm rest. Car should be silky smooth.

My question is whether the mounts could cause the idle to seem a little rough?

Also, any idea of the cost to have this done? I am too busy to take this on myself. I am guessing about $1K for the M120?

·
Registered
665 Posts
The mounts age very slowly and the degradation in damping vibrations is likewise a slow process.

The difference after replacing is quite notable. You will likely notice the difference as soon as you start the motor.

I've only done this on the M119 motors on both R129 & W140 and the W140 is actually significantly harder of the two.

The front motor mounts are not the easiest install. In addition to lifting the motor, you need to shift the motor a little sideways to get the top bolt threaded in and the mount keys into the engine carrier so everything has to be lined up just right. The new mount will be significantly taller than the old mount; like 3/4in taller and this makes the fitting/engaging of the top bolt an interesting bit of finesse.

The rear engine mount at the trans is a piece of cake in comparison.

OE is Lemforder for both of those mounts.

I would guess that about 3 hrs shop time might be enough but I don't think it would be much less.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I had mine replaced including the oil pan gasket and the oil level sensor. It cost me $900 for everything including mounts. This was done about 2 years ago but the damn oil level sen sor is starting to act up again.
Anziani

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oil Level Sensor

I had mine replaced including the oil pan gasket and the oil level sensor. It cost me $900 for everything including mounts. This was done about 2 years ago but the damn oil level sen sor is starting to act up again.
Anziani
I had a similar issue when I worked to solve the problem by replacing the OE MB O-ring seals (there are 2) of the oil level sensor. Well long story short need to actually replace the entire sensor with OE MB or OEM. My guess is that the shop may have just replaced the o-rings, which is reasonable but the sensor itself needs to be changed e.g. the leak is now not from the O-rings but the sensor itself. Not too expensive or difficult just swap it out at your next oil change.

Seth

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Thanks Seth. Not sure about my o-rings. The funny thing about the level sensor is that it only acts up if I corner hard. The oil must slosh away from the sensor? Any way
I'll change it all out soon. My immediate problem is getting a new front bumper. I forgot that my car has SLS and it must settle slightly with the engine off. I pulled too far forward and passed over a concrete bumper. When I started and backed up, the edge of the bumper caught. It tore off a internal mounting bracket that we had fibre glassed in a year ago. This time it couldn't be replaced. Ordered a new bumper that had to come out of Germany. That was 2 weeks ago and now the bumper is sitting in the FedEx customs room in Nashville. What a pain!
Anziani

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anziani
Did you do all three mounts? Done by Indie or dealer?

Regarding the bumper, I try to remember to not pull too close. If I have companions when I leave for lunch, it can grab on the sidewalk (no curb). The individual concrete curbs can play hell on the bumper skirt, especially if the rebar or bolt holding it in place sticks out.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
quakercity, yes we did all three mounts plus the pan gasket and the level sensor. I had an excellent, honest mechanic for 7 years and he did the job. Unfortunately he has closed his shop so now I will find someone else, except we have done everything to this car. I should be good for 40-50K
Sorry to hijack the thread by talking about my bumper.
Anziani

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
quakercity, yes we did all three mounts plus the pan gasket and the level sensor. I had an excellent, honest mechanic for 7 years and he did the job. Unfortunately he has closed his shop so now I will find someone else, except we have done everything to this car. I should be good for 40-50K
Sorry to hijack the thread by talking about my bumper.
Anziani
I did my own mounts on my S600. Right side (US car) wasn't too bad, but the airpump and alternator we'/re off the car. Left side was a bear to get in and out. Engine has to be jacked up, and if it's too high, you run into power steering lines. Too low, and exhaust is in the way. And getting to center bolt started on the new mount was hard. Really need someone on top, and another on the bottom, to move mount around to start the bolt.

I also used the wrench as shown in the photo, that I bought off eBay, to get the center bolt loose. I used a 1/2" breaker bar, a couple of long extensions, and a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter at the wrench end to break it loose. Without that wrench, I don't think I could have gotten the bolt loose. I tried 3/8" extensions, but they twisted too much. 1/2" extensions were what worked. I needed a ton of leverage, and the breaker bar was essential.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I wasn't there for the engine mounts but Ruben said a couple were a pain!
Sounds like you found the magic procedure.
Anziani

·
Registered
651 Posts
Path to Resolution?

Thanks Seth. Not sure about my o-rings. The funny thing about the level sensor is that it only acts up if I corner hard. The oil must slosh away from the sensor? Any way
I'll change it all out soon. My immediate problem is getting a new front bumper. I forgot that my car has SLS and it must settle slightly with the engine off. I pulled too far forward and passed over a concrete bumper. When I started and backed up, the edge of the bumper caught. It tore off a internal mounting bracket that we had fibre glassed in a year ago. This time it couldn't be replaced. Ordered a new bumper that had to come out of Germany. That was 2 weeks ago and now the bumper is sitting in the FedEx customs room in Nashville. What a pain!
Anziani
Anziani,
Did u file a claim with insurance co or are you paying out of pocket? if so is it considered collision with its associated deductible? Is a standard body shop handling that for u? My guess is a bill of $1850-$2200 am I close? Removal/painting/installation is ridiculously expensive at an auto body shop

Seth

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Seth, Never even considered the insurance company. I'll call them today and see if anything is covered. We found two used bumpers in the US but they were clear across the Country. This is the second time in 2 years that I have snagged it. The first time we were able to fibreglass a new mount. This time we couldn't. We were leery of a used one in case it wasn't correct and we had to ship it back. Ordered out a new one from Germany (2-3 weeks) Got a good price from Classic Cars and the installation and paint will be about $700. There are only 4 attachment points and R&R is pretty fast. I felt bad about the cost until I talked to someone with a newer Toyota. If you haven't noticed most new cars now incorporate the bumper into the front end. Big bucks at $3600+!
Anziani

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
anziani
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing