Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 300d turbo (W124.133) needs new motor mounts and<br>my local mechanic says 2.5 hours of labor to replace both($50 per hr). Is it a reasonable quote? It looks to me fairly simple job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: My 87 300d turbo (W124.133) needs new motor mounts and<br>my local mechanic says 2.5 hours of labor to replace both($50 per hr). Is it a reasonable quote? It looks to me fairly simple job. <br>Ken, You can do the job yourself but you will need a couple of jacks to lift the engine enough to r&R the mounts. My mechanic gets $40/hr here in Ma. The Mb Dealer gets$74/hr! $50/hr for someone who knows his way aroud a MB especially a 124.133 is worth it! Have him put your car up on the lift and remove a rear wheel. The upper strut control arm in your car is history. This is the left, top, arm the one that faces the rotor. It bears the brunt of the car's weight when you take a turn. Mercedes has upgraded that arm and the bolt. To test: place a pair of Vise Grips on the arm (vertical) and try to move them side to side with your little finger. If the arm moves, replace. You will definitely notice a difference! P.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: My 87 300d turbo (W124.133) needs new motor mounts and<br>my local mechanic says 2.5 hours of labor to replace both($50 per hr). Is it a reasonable quote? It looks to me fairly simple job.<p> <br>Ken, You can do the job yourself but you will need a couple of jacks to lift the engine enough to r&R the mounts. My mechanic gets $40/hr here in Ma. The Mb Dealer gets$74/hr! $50/hr for someone who knows his way aroud a MB especially a 124.133 is worth it! Have him put your car up on the lift and remove a rear wheel. The upper strut control arm in your car is history. This is the left, top, arm the one that faces the rotor. It bears the brunt of the car's weight when you take a turn. Mercedes has upgraded that arm and the bolt. To test: place a pair of Vise Grips on the arm (vertical) and try to move them side to side with your little finger. If the arm moves, replace. You will definitely notice a difference! P.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: My 87 300d turbo (W124.133) needs new motor mounts and<br>my local mechanic says 2.5 hours of labor to replace both($50 per hr). Is it a reasonable quote? It looks to me fairly simple job.<p> <br>Ken, You can do the job yourself but you will need a couple of jacks to lift the engine enough to R&R the mounts. My mechanic gets $40/hr here in Ma. The Mb Dealer gets$74/hr! $50/hr for someone who knows his way aroud a MB especially a 124.133 is worth it! Have him put your car up on the lift and remove a rear wheel. The upper strut control arm in your car is history. This is the left, top, arm the one that faces the rotor. It bears the brunt of the car's weight when you take a turn. Mercedes has upgraded that arm and the bolt. To test: place a pair of Vise Grips on the arm (vertical) and try to move them side to side with your little finger. If the arm moves, replace. You will definitely notice a difference! P.<br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts